TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Return of the Obra Dinn

Oh, that never occurred to me but certainly makes sense.

So, I've also been playing this after Al_B gifted it to me out of the blue. Finished it two days ago.
    I agree with pretty much everything people here have been saying, both about how interesting and innovative it is, and about some of its minor design flaws, so I can't think of much more to add to it.

I think I should also watch some other peoples' playthroughs, as I'm sure I missed a lot of clues, and there were two cases in my game where I couldn't figure out which of two people someone was and I just ended up guessing - I'd like to know what I missed there.

(Actually, three cases, but I later discovered what I had missed and how to identify those people properly.)

I finished it with everyone done.
    I'll list one of the more subtle clues I liked...

spoiler:

- The numbers in The Cold on the bunks helped... It let me know the two bearded guys were Russians. But the place where it worked for me best is Alexi, the third Russian. Although he was hidden asleep, he had a pipe in the bag next to his bed. In The Calling, when he was being dragged under by the mermaid, his pipe was flying out of his mouth!

Speaking of that...
    - An arm coming out of bed #38 had the woman tattoo on his forearm, but I never did see the tattoo again. I'll have to look it up now that I know everyone.

- In the photo sailors of the same nationality & job tended to be together... They also had characteristic dress, which was especially helpful for the stewards, who were mostly dressed alike. That's an obvious thing I guess.

Edit: Some questions...

spoiler:

- Why was the surgeon throwing his monkey into the lazarette & shooting it? What was he testing? Whether there were any mermaids still alive that'd eat the thing?

- What's the thing about the captain's steward going crazy? Was that the influence of a shell? I missed that...

- If there was the shell in the Formosan cabinet from the beginning, why did the monsters only attack when the 2nd mate went rowing off with it and not earlier?

- How were we supposed to know the 4 survivors went to Africa? Wait, never mind, because the surgeon said in the preface to mail the book back to him in Morocco.
    Last edited by demagogue; 4th Dec 2018 at 13:20.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Speaking of that...
    spoiler:
    - An arm coming out of bed #38 had the woman tattoo on his forearm, but I never did see the tattoo again. I'll have to look it up now that I know everyone.
    It's the guy who tries to stop the second mate from kidnapping the Formosans and gets shot for his efforts.

spoiler:
    - Why was the surgeon throwing his monkey into the lazarette & shooting it? What was he testing? Whether there were any mermaids still alive that'd eat the thing?
    He had the memento mortem watch and wanted to get "access" to the corpses in there by "recording" the monkey's dying memory.

spoiler:
    - What's the thing about the captain's steward going crazy? Was that the influence of a shell? I missed that...
    He was just desperate to get the mermaids off the ship because he thought they would curse and doom them all. Maybe he knew some tales or was just deeply superstitious, as sailors are wont to be. The captain thought he had lost his mind, because he attacked the guard to get access to the lazarette. Btw, he's one of the first people to see the mermaids being bought on board in the last scene of The Calling.

spoiler:
    - If there was the shell in the Formosan cabinet from the beginning, why did the monsters only attack when the 2nd mate went rowing off with it and not earlier?
    The Formosans said that the shell must be protected, so they might have had some way to hide its presence (that the second mate then must have ruined by opening the chest). Perhaps that's what the mercury-like liquid was for. Also, the mermaids were probably hesitating to attack the ship directly, because the humans' overwhelming numbers and weapons had the potential to inflict heavy casualties even with a surprise attack.

spoiler:

- How were we supposed to know the 4 survivors went to Africa? Wait, never mind, because the surgeon said in the preface to mail the book back to him in Morocco.
    I loved that one, the clue was right there from the start, but it took me a really long time to even think to look there.

Mark Brown did a video on the game as part of his Game Maker's Toolkit series. Lots of spoilers from the very start.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12