TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: THREAD OF DISAPPOINTMENT AND HATE

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    I'm against censorship.
    lol. This is so pathetic and transparent. Listen, 15 years ago neo-Confederates could still pretend it was about heritage, not hate and get away with it. Not so now. The Confederate flag is tantamount to the Nazi banner at this point -- or rather, it always has been, it's just that now more people are coming around to seeing how bullshit the "heritage, not hate" narrative is. The character in question is basically a dumb redneck shitkicker, but there's little overt evidence that he's a white supremacist.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill. Now, the licensed music thing, that's something worth getting upset about.

You say potato, I say Bababooey.

Level 10,000 achieved
    No mental gymnastics can change reality, self-censor exists.
    Y'know, self-censorship and being shamed into doing things aren't the only reasons people change their ways. Sometimes people realize that the old ways were hurtful to others and that at the end of the day it's no great sacrifice to get rid of a confederate flag if it's going to do more harm than good. Sometimes people grow up. You're just gonna have to take my word for that.

These reactionary sophistries are really getting tired. You can't just call every change to a work censorship and pretend it's all the same. Not saying the N-word in public might be called "self-censorship" (or, y'know, being a decent person who doesn't go around using racial slurs), but it's not remotely the same as the government punishing you for saying it, which is yet again different from being fired by your employer for saying it.

Also, we've been over this already with Eva, but criticism is not censorship, the author changing something due to criticism is not censorship, the author making changes to their work because of changing mores is not censorship, the author making changes to their work because they think it will sell better is not censorship.

"Self-censorship" seems to be one of the dodgy psychological theories abundant in reactionary thinking. My guess, reactionaries ask themselves why a person would ever restrict their own speech, and fear is the only answer they can come up with. But when I recently amended my words in such a way, it was at the prompting of my conscience. I'm not in a position where anyone can punish me for my speech, and I'm reckless rather than fearful anyway.

verbose douchebag
    Well I think we can at least all agree that the game is unplayable without the original graphic.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

I really don't give a fuck about some historical flag, but it's a canary in the coal mine. What else might they have changed? They've already removed imagery that offends left wing Karens. Precedent has been set that they're willing to censor their games to appeal moral busybodies. Eg Some of the "controversial content" that offended right wing Karens back in the day might've finally gotten the axe as well.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Well I think we can at least all agree that the game is unplayable without the original graphic.
    Writing and presentation are huge part of GTA's identity. Without those you're left with just more generic open world action games.

verbose douchebag
    Where does it say that they are replacing the writing and presentation? My impression is that it's a single texture which is being changed.

Also, they have replaced a couple of the confederate flags in their games before, since at least 2015. But that's not as exciting apparently as "Rockstar is suddenly bowing down to woke overlords!".

Taking the Death Toll
    I really don't give a fuck about some historical flag, but it's a canary in the coal mine.
    Google "slippery slope fallacy."

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    "Rockstar is suddenly bowing down to woke overlords!".
    Whenever I hear some hyperbolic right-wing shitlord using the term "woke", my mind replaces it with "not an asshole".

(Well, more accurately, I use the C word instead of asshole, but you get my meaning)

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Remember when seemingly 95% of Western indie games were pixel art faux retro throwbacks? These days it's more like 45% the former and 50% Souls-likes.

Quote Originally Posted by june gloom View Post
    Google "slippery slope fallacy."
    Heard of give them an inch and they'll take a mile? It's not fallacy if it's a true sentiment in the majority of cases where argued.

Taking the Death Toll
    Heard of give them an inch and they'll take a mile? It's not fallacy if it's a true sentiment in the majority of cases where argued.
    I'd say citation needed but I know that you won't present any meaningful evidence of this, just anecdotes and biased conjecture and bad-faith readings and general absurd reactionary paranoia... over a racist symbol. Why don't you get mad about something that actually matters? You earlier brought up the way subsequent releases of GTA remove licensed music -- why aren't you more mad about that? Why don't you get mad about how Rockstar treats its employees? (Or Ubisoft... or Blizzard!?) Or hell, you even touch on the fact that the industry is prone to flooding the market with the flavor of the month (zombie survival games, battle royales, soulslikes, roguelikes, Amnesia clones, basically anything that tastes like money) -- but you'll never have the insight as to why that is.

There are so many things wrong with the gaming industry, but the stuff you choose to get upset about is so minor.

I guess that's what this thread's for, but jeez.

It seems my PS5 got stolen, either from the Fed Ex driver, who never rang my doorbell or knocked even though I was home, or from someone who grabbed it off the porch in the two hours between the time it was allegedly delivered and I stepped outside to go to work. So now instead of playing the games I already bought and now have to return, I get to file a police report and then try to convince Walmart to give me my money back. So much disappointment and hatred here toward Fed Ex (fuck you), Walmart (fuck you too for not making it signature required) and whoever actually took the package (a big extra fuck you). Having a bad day over here.

That sucks. Here you get an SMS and an e-mail on the day of delivery, so that you can choose the method* and time of delivery. With some companies you can actually go to a webpage and watch the truck move on the map. Plus the deliverer calls you before they reach your house so that you know to be ready to come to the door.

* for example, bring it to your door, deliver to a secure location where you can pick it up later, or assign another person/place to receive it for you

That would be so much better. I wasn't expecting delivery till next week, and then it suddenly updated at 10 p.m. and I got a text saying it had been delivered at 8:37 a.m. that morning, which it clearly hadn't. It's making me consider a doorbell camera.

Might be a good idea regardless. Even just for the convenience.

Any update on the PS5 situation? Is anyone cooperating or just trying to give you the runaround?

My landlord / flatmate recently bought some crypto, called "sand" and won't stop going on about it now. He doesn't have a technical background, and I've tried to steer him to the idea that it's risky to invest. Then more recently he told me that the "metaverse" is going to replace gaming as we know it (specifically, minecraft is old news because everyone will be on the "metaverse" instead).

At first I thought he meant Zuckerberg's Metaverse - which is basically the idea of building an entire VR internet inside the internet. Which is flawed for obvious reasons. But it took me a bit of googling to work out what he's even talking about. This is the kind of shit you need to wade through to get information:

https://mvs.org/
    Metaverse utilizes the Substrate modular framework for higher scalability, long term expansion and support to connect decentralized applications, services and allow other independent blockchains to connect, exchange information and transactions at a lower cost.
    That should immediately trigger a red flag. It turns out that there's no such thing as "THE Metaverse" it's just the basic name for a shared cyberspace/3D space that people are touting as Internet 2.0. So SecondLife is a "metaverse". More recently, they've attached the concept to blockchain/crypto/NFTs, and that's when I worked out WTF he was even talking about.

So it turns out what he was talking about as "THE metaverse" was that the people who made the SAND coin also have a voxel-based game called Sandbox, and they're turning it into an NFT-based game (which they refer to as "the metaverse"). This game has been out 9 years but has never gotten very big. Think a less successful version of Minecraft or Roblox.

The deal is, the Sandbox people have made a small (by Minecraft standards) amount of "LAND" NFTs for sale, attached to 96x96 meter blocks of land in their game. Overall, the total amount of LAND is 408x408 parcels. So it's basically the size of a city 40-km across.

https://cryptobullsclub.com/buying-land-in-sandbox/
    https://www.publish0x.com/crypto-wor...averse-xkkwylv

This model has some obvious flaws, not the least of which is that none of the sites pushing how great it is to invest in this ever explain what it is exactly that would pull PLAYERS into this to even put money into the eco-system. Right now the entire eco-system is a land-rush to get the LAND before other people do, on the basis that one day it'll be digital gold.

So the holy grail of this is to basically become a digital landlord and squeeze money out of the late-comers through rent, rather than actually making anything of value. I take offense at the idea that we're going to create a fantasy world for us all to live and play in, and the FIRST THING we do is recreate fucking landlords.
    Last edited by Cipheron; 27th Nov 2021 at 18:39.

Quote Originally Posted by reizak View Post
    Any update on the PS5 situation? Is anyone cooperating or just trying to give you the runaround?
    Fed Ex said there was nothing they could do and told me I had to take it up with Walmart. Walmart told me to file a police report, so I did, sent it to Walmart, and confirmed that they received it and had escalated the ticket. Now Iím waiting two to three business days to hear back from them. Hopefully Iíll know by Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    Fed Ex said there was nothing they could do and told me I had to take it up with Walmart. Walmart told me to file a police report, so I did, sent it to Walmart, and confirmed that they received it and had escalated the ticket. Now I’m waiting two to three business days to hear back from them. Hopefully I’ll know by Monday.
    Man that sucks to hear about, good luck with all of that.

Fed Ex said there was nothing they could do and told me I had to take it up with Walmart. Walmart told me to file a police report, so I did, sent it to Walmart, and confirmed that they received it and had escalated the ticket. Now I’m waiting two to three business days to hear back from them. Hopefully I’ll know by Monday.
    At least Walmart didn't tell you to take it up with FedEx and FedEx to take it up with Walmart. The FedEx part is expected; they generally only deal with the shipper. Hopefully you'll get your money back without any additional wrangling, but a sucky experience and extra stress either way.

Thanks! I spoke to them today and it sounds like I will be getting a refund; just have to wait for it to be made official.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    As for this revision: for a time the confederate flag had a dual meaning. To most groups it remained a symbol of slavery, but to some white people it was inexplicably a symbol of personal liberty. But now this duality is gone. The meanings of the symbol have merged, and this revision is akin to removing outmoded slang.
    Symbols do change meaning over time. My guess is that things really shifted post-Charlottesville. The symbol was more of a generic rebel/south thing before that but now it's intrinsically tied up with a rising white supremacist movement. Also: Jan 6th was a burning-the-reichstag attempt to overthrow the US government and people were parading that same symbol during the coup attempt.

Let's face it: that symbol now means the coup attempt to overthrow American democracy. Neutrality on the symbol now means you're staking a position of impartiality on whether USA should become a fascist junta or remain a representative democracy.
    Last edited by Cipheron; 29th Nov 2021 at 22:55.

verbose douchebag
    Thanks! I spoke to them today and it sounds like I will be getting a refund; just have to wait for it to be made official.
    Fingers crossed and that you are able to source another one.
    Sucks that this shit is still going on. A friend of mine had his PS5 intercepted and stolen in transit around release (he pre-ordered way in advance). He got a replacement, but had to wait a while, which must have stung a bit after going through the trouble to pay up front.

It's grating that these issues haven't been resolved yet. Perhaps it is not cost-effective to fix the issue systemically vs just issuing refunds / replacements.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast