TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Announcing Thief: The Dark Project 20th Anniversary Contest - Nov 30, 2018

So... I've played my way through all the FMs - and what a splendid cornucopia of thiefy delights. Constantly delighted, impressed and blown away by it all. The opening vids and voice acting are top notch. Brilliant contest - thank you, you talented bunch of taffers.
    Last edited by Bosh; 13th Dec 2018 at 18:14.

Thank you so much Skacky and everyone for making this happen. Really looking forward to playing these.

Thief is the game that keeps on giving! And it's because of all of you mappers and community members that keep it alive with new creativity.

A THIEFY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL!

Thanks to everyone for this basket full of missions!

It's going to take quite a while to get through all of them.

And it is really nice to see quite a few new names around in the list of authors!
    Hope you'll stick around for some time!

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    There aren't as many new names as it appears, but I agree!

Until now I played approximately half of the missions (didn't finish two of them) and can say so far: The results of this contest are really amazing!

Usually contest missions are not my favorites because of (time) limitations and therefore resulting bugs or/and rotten compromises but this contest had a reasonable period of time so that most of the FMs are high-class and exciting with fresh ideas and have been obviously well tested. I'm really overwhelmed and want to say thank you to all authors and people who helped!

About the scores ... I didn't rate any FM yet. I'm not sure whether I should rate them immeadiately or later when I'll have an overview about all FMs.
    OK, 23 FMs are a lot but I always write some notes in DarkLoader so I hope I'll not forget the FM contents after all.
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

Phew! 24 days, 24 missions played and completed! Thanks a million to everyone who put so much time and effort into crafting these works of art!

And now I'm supposed to rate and assign scores to these missions?! Many of these are masterpieces in their own right. I don't know if I could even single out a favorite among them.

On a side note, I must be losing my touch. For a significant number of the contest missions, I ended up missing ~1000 of the total loot. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmauden View Post
    On a side note, I must be losing my touch. For a significant number of the contest missions, I ended up missing ~1000 of the total loot. :P
    You are not the only one!

I would also like to express my gratitude to everyone who contributed to this fantastic contest. I must say, I am a slow player. I am currently only in the middle of 5th mission played and I hope I will be able to play all of them until the end of the contest.

Curious to hear since there are so many missions, how did you decide the order of play? Alphabetic? Random (I used random number generator)? Author preferences?

Quote Originally Posted by LostCitizen View Post
    Curious to hear since there are so many missions, how did you decide the order of play? Alphabetic? Random (I used random number generator)? Author preferences?
    I chose the missions pretty much at random. I would download three missions at a time based on whether the title sounded interesting, then select which one to play on any given night based on the mission's file size and description, as well as how much free time I had. Once all those missions were complete, I would go back and pick the next three. I also started with my own entry, mostly because I wanted to finally relax and enjoy the fruits of my labors.

how many FM took part at this contest ? 23 like mentioned in the first posting?

Having a great time playing these missions and decided to play them in filesize order - smallest file to largest.

Thanks to southquarter for hosting and making it easy to order the missions!

And a huge thanks to all the authors and helpers for making these FMs... I'm having a thiefing good time over the Xmas/New Year break!

I did exactly what you did.

I didn't know Anonymous made fan missions!

I'm about half way through the total list of contest missions and I can say that I am thoroughly impressed with all of them.

i will go further and say this is the best results any contest had in my view

will be interesting to see results of thief 2 20th anniversary contest

yes dewdrop can appear in thief 2 contest for all those who don't know

Well, I know what I'M doing all weekend.

Question from a very dumb person: why am I not seeing any of my sweet bloom effects? It's been a while since I've played Thief 1 and messed around with cam_ext. Can anyone tell me EXACTLY how it has to look for bloom to show up? I feel like I forgot to delete a semicolon somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by The Mike View Post
    Well, I know what I'M doing all weekend.

Question from a very dumb person: why am I not seeing any of my sweet bloom effects? It's been a while since I've played Thief 1 and messed around with cam_ext. Can anyone tell me EXACTLY how it has to look for bloom to show up? I feel like I forgot to delete a semicolon somewhere...
    ; enable postprocessing (bloom)
    postprocess 1

; bloom intensity factor, default is 5
    bloomscale 5

Thanks man! It actually WAS on, just a lot subtler of an effect than I remembered.

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    I didn't know Anonymous made fan missions!
    I wouldn't be surprised if they did. After all - Garrett has the same profession, just in different times.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mike View Post
    Thanks man! It actually WAS on, just a lot subtler of an effect than I remembered.
    I always have bloom intensity factor:

bloomscale 0.1

This is the best for my liking. I donīt need more.

Question from an even dumber person. What does bloom do or look like???

Here's an example. Take a good look at the light sources.

It also affects bright particles in a similar way.

It's basically a cheap way of simulating your eyes being unable to handle very bright lights, and has mostly been replaced with more realistic things like HDR in more modern engines. Google screenshots of Elder Scolls Oblivion to see how dreadful over-used bloom can be!

Fortunately bloom can be turned off.

Thanks Gort I will play around with settings

Finished the last mission today and now rated all via http://www.ttlg.com/polls/20thAnniversary. The submissions of this contest were fantastic! I am impressed by the huge efforts of the creators. If I rate the general enjoyment of all missions on a 1-10 scale, the average rating is 6.52.

Just voted and I want to say a GREAT BIG thank you to all the authors and testers. This has been an amazing event for this community!!!

I had such a great time exploring all of these missions.
    Thanks again!!
    pwl

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast