TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: TDP20AC Mission — An Enigmatic Treasure with a Recondite Discovery (11/30/2018)

Quote Originally Posted by vfig View Post
    The limit of 30 is just for the FM name, not the path to it. The enigmatic title of this mission is the problem.

You should be able to use FMSel to run the mission despite the warning (I certainly could), it’ll just show the name truncated. I don’t know about NewDarkLoader.

You can also just rename the folder the FM was installed into (and the zip, if you like), which should avoid the warning.
    I see another helper has joined the frame! Thanks vfig for your suggestion, but even with such short installation path the FM won't start! Do you have the download link for the FMSel, I wasn't able to find it anywhere on the net.

Thanks!

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    FMSel is included in NewDark/Tfix. Edit cam_mod.ini in the root folder like this

Code:
     always start the FM Selector (if one is present)
    fm
    and start thief.exe

Hi Unna, I've already done that. Thanks to suggestion from vfig I just shortened the zip file name of the mission, and voila now it works! What a miracle!

But thanks for the last time on this topic Unna, you gave me also a couple of helpful hints to resolve the issue.

Have a Great Christmas and Happy New Year!

Greetings from Germany.

Mario

Spent the majority of my playtime staring increasingly angry at the loading screen. It was upwards of 200 times I had to load a quicksave. The mages often patrol in well-lit areas with marble floors and you have to time your approach perfectly, or else they will see you immediately. Water arrows are useless since all lamps are electric. Since you are not allowed to kill anyone, reloading seems like the only option you have should you get spotted. And then there is the jumping puzzle in the lava room near the end: 20+ failed attempts in a row was so frustrating I nearly quit playing.

What I liked about the mission was the spectacular design of the mages' grand hall. The opera hall was a nice throwback to Song of the Caverns. Generally, the texture work in both the mage's hall and the opera is marvellous. The statue room puzzle was enjoyable as well, especially since I was able to figure it out without any hints.

I think I found two bugs:
    • I got stuck between a bookshelf and a wall when I tried to retrieve a fire arrow. I had a rope arrow but still couldn't get out. Had to reload.
    • One time the mission ended while I was walking down a corridor on the ground floor of the mages' halls and the debriefing screen indicated I had failed the "don't kill anyone" objective. I had just overwritten my savegame and was very worried I would have to restart the whole mission. Thankfully, after I reloaded the game, I could continue the mission normally.
    Last edited by <Username>; 25th Dec 2018 at 06:48. Reason: Corrected a typing error

Urrgh!

After exploring the city and just after I found no way to bypass the three guards in front of the opera I realised I must have knocked out the wrong guy. My next approach will be more careful.
    Seems solid so far, but this may be the hardest mission of the contest. But I wil do it - TROB1 and 2 on expert difficulty was also doable somehow.

I have that line with a semicolon in the beginning and yet i doesn't run fmselector, i dodn't kow what's going on with my thief installatin, ihave also activated uber mod and yet Haplo's mission still display the note saying there's something missing.

This is the GORT mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    This is the GORT mission.
    I know, and i was never able to finish it, because i´ve encountered a bug, probably duo to scripts problems.

Read the contest play instructions carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    I have that line with a semicolon in the beginning and yet i doesn't run fmselector
    Remove the semicolon from your cam_mod.ini file then save

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    i have also activated uber mod and yet Haplo's mission still display the note saying there's something missing.
    Uncomment ALL mods, especially with those missions that are close to cell max, and that includes both GORT's and Haplo's missions.

Once you have got FMsel working, DO NOT go back to darkloader, too many modern missions do not play correctly with darkloader meaning you'll constantly have problems getting them to run.

Thank you Unna and Fortuni, let's see if things work this time...

where and how must i melt this poker?

In the storehouse there's melting device

thx my last goal the scepter , anybody a hint for the scepter?

my last my last task is the following

once you've managed to get the magic scepter ................

what must i do? how can i manage this with the magic scepter ?

Did you go back to the Opera House?

thx that's it mission finished

I had to stop playing this mission because I felt there were too many guards scattered everywhere, and sometimes they were huddled together running around the city. Some hyperactive archers were shooting at me like lawn sprinklers. I might go back in again later though just to give the mission a fair chance.

@ john9818a

The reason the archer are enraged and shooting that fast is because they most likely saw a body or two.

Gort not sure why because it seems like an unnatural speed faster than haunts and thieves. Everything they did was faster including pursuing and fleeing. I'm off Saturday so I'll run though the mission again.

@ john9818a

Yeah, all of the guards are setup to get enraged when they see a body (they move faster). The tip kind of talks about this. What the tip was hinting at was a reference to the guards in the city from the FM "The Unknown Treasure".

Challenging Mission

Finished in 3hr 27m on Normal missing loads of loot 1555/3565! Possibly my worst ever haul; is there more loot accessible on the higher levels as I cannot see where I might have missed so much? I'll definitely need another run through to improve on bounty for this months rent!

I got stuck a few times, I could have shaved in excess of an hour and a half off of my finish time, although these missions should not be raced through..... Once due to not exploring more carefully which is a particularly bad habit I have had since 2006
    spoiler:
    I missed the room with the objective that unlocks the warehouse! Doh!

I am kicking myself for not realising that
    spoiler:
    my first knockout was the guy I needed for the guardroom objective, he was the last guy I lumped onto his bunk! That took 30 minutes to work that out.
    I couldn't make it up sometimes.

With the Statue room objective the penny dropped here thanks to GORT's hint in a post he made
    spoiler:
    these were the last guys I tackled, the patrols and guard were hard to get past and I actually picked up the item I needed but couldn't see a use for it until I read GORT's hint - another Head Smack moment!

spoiler:
    The lava pit leaping wasn't the most difficult of this type of getting through/over a lava field but still a challenge especially with the nasty surprise of the block nearest the Chalice, and an honourable mention for most evil of surprises in a mission goes to the guards locker moment - you know what I refer to....that and the do not look door - need I say more?

A nice mission; frustrating at times, mainly due to my own ineptitude I might add. I should try and slow down.
    I would have preferred 30 moss arrows as opposed to 30 water arrows for which I had no use.
    Often guards would freeze, have their arms outstretched until they noticed me; I had this in a couple of FM's in the past, I probably have some Enhancement Pack or HD Texture Pack enabled but haven't a clue how to unload these. First time with TG loaded (and first time download from GOG - which was a trial in itself to get working).

Overall a nice mission to play, noisy floors excepted

Playing on normal. I'm trying to find a key to this unpickable door

If it's not through this door, I also need a clue as to where to find a forge in the warehouse to modify the poker

EDIT: found
    Last edited by Azaran; 31st Dec 2018 at 03:27.

So I was able to get into the Mages' Guild. I got into the statues room and got the hand, duly replacing it, but wanted to know if the side door and chests can be opened, or are there only for effect? I tried every rope arrow combination and angle to no avail - the statues keep teleporting me back

Quote Originally Posted by Duffer View Post
    Often guards would freeze, have their arms outstretched until they noticed me
    That also happened when I reinstalled Thief Gold for this contest. It was an issue with "motiondb.bin" in the root folder. I replaced that file with the original from the game discs and it solved the problem.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast