TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TDP20AC Mission Downtowne Funk (11/30/2018)

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

TDP20AC Mission Downtowne Funk (11/30/2018)

This thread is for any discussion or questions related to the mission Downtowne Funk by Yandros.
    You can download the mission HERE or HERE.
    The contest thread is HERE.

Please give clues instead of outright solutions when helping others and use the spoiler tag when you do this.

Remember that this mission, and by extension every mission made for the contest, is for THIEF GOLD. As such, do not load it with Thief 2! It is highly recommended you do not use the Enhancement Pack and/or HD texture packs to play this mission. It is also recommended you uncheck all optional features TFix comes with if you update to the latest version of the full executable.

Having a blast on the mission so far! Really nice seeing the spruced up OM areas, and have really enjoyed poking in and out of the various buildings.

Got 5025 loot so far but I'm pretty confident there's more to be found.

EDIT: Oh wow, decided to head to the exit just to see how much I was missing. Pretty sure the Rusty Key I found but don't know what to use on has something to do with it.
    Last edited by TriangleTooth; 1st Dec 2018 at 14:15.

Please put spoilers around anything that has to do with loot. Im one of those that dont even like to know how much is available. Call me strange.

That was a lot of fun. Seeing some of those places both familiar and a little refreshed was a bit of a treat.

This one was good fun! A nice, well-designed city with some light puzzles and lots of nooks and crannies to loot.

It felt a bit too easy; I think ghosting it would have been a good challenge, but with a blackjack it was trivial. Would have liked more verticality, but I appreciate that wasn't what it was designed for. There was also a lot of lockpicking. No individual lock was tedious, but there were definitely a few doors that didn't need to be locked.

Nitpicks aside though, this was enjoyable and had an engaging story. I was expecting a mission 2 though with that ending! Maybe coming soon?
    Last edited by nicked; 2nd Dec 2018 at 15:52. Reason: Corrected typo.

Thanks for your comments, Nick! Yes, there was to be a second mission but it sits half-finished on my computer. I do plan to release it eventually but not any time soon.

As you noted, there was not much verticality in this mission, which was by design. Taking place in Downtowne, I wanted to keep to shorter buildings to match the style of LGS' depiction of that district. The second mission, however, takes place in North Quarter which is barely depicted by LGS, and so I am planning on taller buildings and lots of vertical gameplay, which will contrast with this one.

My main goal with this was not to be overly ambitious, but to make a basic city map with solid but not ground-breaking gameplay, and a fairly simple story. Part of that is due to this being my first time using TG Dromed, and the other part is because I am very inexperienced at making city maps, and I was using this opportunity to work on that.

Very entertaining and well polished mission. The highlight for me has to be those comfy interiors and how all the (new) buildings are faithful to the aesthetics of the OM it's based on. PART 2 WHEN?

i enjoyed this mission,great job yandros

Yandros, what is the use of the Rusty Key? I forgot where I found it, so a hint in which part of the map I need to use it would be much appreciated. Thanks for the great mission, I thoroughly enjoyed exploring different sections of the district. A well-balanced piece of digital art - no ridiculously hidden switches, enough loot to keep player busy, visitable apartments and shops, beautiful level design etc. Perhaps it was not a masterpiece, but certainly a great tribute to LGS.

One bug - check the pathfinding of the guard patrolling near the house opposite of the Hammerites recruitment centre. He has a tendency to get stuck in the stairs.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Aemanyl: the rusty key opens the moneybox under the market stall near the bank, right near where you found it.

DarkMax: No clue. With a huge new project starting up, it may be years, or I may do it at some point during that project as a break.

What a mission this was, the sheer size was overwhelming, nice work! I had fun! Ok ok, so its not super complex in terms of puzzles, story or gameplay and yes it was quite easy but solid none the less... Good work
    I never found the use for the Bank key, hint to how or where I get to use that?
    People here mentioning a Rusty key, which I think I have an aide of where goes... Hint to where that key is located?

Tommyph1208: Search very carefully in the house with the book about people going through

Quote Originally Posted by TriangleTooth View Post
    Tommyph1208: Search very carefully in the house with the book about people going through
    I remember that place, I'll have a look - thanks!
    Any hints on where/how to use the bank vault key?

Very nice, loved the simple city/district layout. Felt like it stayed true to how the city would look Pre-Mechanist influence and was super comfy to play!

Tommyph1208: In the Bank, but look around for an alternate way in since the front isn't an option

Southquarter.com/fms
    I also had a great time with this one, finished it up last night. Very classic OM type feel to it, with lots of great exploring. One question though:

On the 2nd floor of the Royal Essex Apartments, there's a door that goes outside to a bridge that connect to the adjacent building. There's a locked door there that I never found a key for. Where is it?

Just finished this one, and had a lot of fun Really great use of ambients (the one in Hammerite places is awesome). Enjoyed the funny readables, too, and what you did with the windows that can be climbed into around the district. Looking forward to part 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    On the 2nd floor of the Royal Essex Apartments, there's a door that goes outside to a bridge that connect to the adjacent building. There's a locked door there that I never found a key for. Where is it?
    To open that door you have to jump thru the window next to the door and climb in. Just go to the door's backside and you'll find the key and a note to a forgetful guard.

Nice FM, like the underground pathes.
    Last edited by zappen; 5th Dec 2018 at 07:28.
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

Just finished this mission having spent nearly 2 days on and off trying to find all the loot.

My initial impression of this mission was that I thought Yandros had made a half finished mission, as it appears to be a large sprawling city with many houses inaccessible. I thought Yandros had only managed to build the city, put a couple of objectives in place and then run out of time.

But it was only after completing the mission with nearly 3000g missing that I began checking all the windows (rather than just the building doors) only to discover how good a loot hunt this mission really is.

As Brethren said it has a classic T1 OM feel to it, with most of the buildings being relatively spartan in their decoration of both furniture and loot, with Reuben's Mansion being particularly nostalgic.

The simplistic gameplay but reasonably complex city map makes this mission easy to play but at the same time frustratingly good fun for all loot hounds.

Nice one Yandros.

Nice mission. Played on expert.

Yeah I'd honestly love to see a lootlist or map for this, there seems to be so much I'm missing.

Also did anyone else Have the drunk guy get murdered by the hammerite?

Quote Originally Posted by TriangleTooth View Post
    Yeah I'd honestly love to see a lootlist
    I've made a lootlist for this mission and will be making lootlists for all the contest missions but won't release them till later, probably I'll release them after the contest results are announced in March or April.

Nice mission, The Ruben area wasn't exactly a fresh experience, but the new areas were a new surprise to me, they remind me Thief 2, the way they are constructed and their design, and some of the textures. Yandro's style is well visible in the small details, he prefers some objects smaller and some of the textures with a reduced scale size. It's a pleasant city part, well constructed, nice surrounding atmosphere, nice new customization, and i like the transparent frobable windows, that's exactly what i'm using in my upcoming mission, it helps to identify exploitable places. The gameplay is fun and i will replay it again in expert mode, ambient sounds were well chosen .

Thank you for this beautiful gift Russ!!!

My score is 8 out of 10.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast