TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TDP20AC Mission In & Out (11/30/2018)

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Check the ZIP file and make sure that the English folders are there. If not, you need to re-download as they should be. Otherwise, it sounds like FM Sel goofed the install by only copying the German folders over. In that case I would suggest you uninstall and reinstall the mission and then check that English gets copied over. I don't know if FMSel has a language setting, but if so you should also check it hasn't somehow been changed unintentionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Marbrien View Post
    I'm using FM Sel, with TFix v1.26. There is no English folder in \THIEF\FMs\TDP20AC_In_&_Out_1_0\intrface\miss22, nor in the folder above it. The main menu displays TDP, not the FM name. Difficulties and Objectives show in German. I haven't got to a readable yet.
    I had that happen too with German for this FM. Check in your install.cfg file if the 'language' line shows more than english (mine was 'english+german+french'), if so edit it to just english which solved it for me.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Yeah he said it was set to that already, I was just trying to get more info before suggesting that. Thanks for confirming it works, though. Marbrien, give it a go.

My concern is that if it's FM Sel doing that, it may do it for any FM which has multiple language support. Mine does (Downtowne Funk), so if either of you have the same problem when trying to play it, please let me know. I'd like to understand the real cause here.

I just downloaded the .zip again from both of the two links in the first post, and neither of them has an English folder in \THIEF\FMs\TDP20AC_In_&_Out_1_0\intrface\miss22. But editing the install.cfg as suggested by Dahenjo has fixed it. Thanks.

There is no "english" folder in "intrface" because unless the language is specified to another one, any loader should load up the mission in English. So all the English-related files are just located in the root intrface folder. I never knew that installs can have "english+german+french" setting.

Glad you got it figured out! Once the contest is over, I'll update the mission with all the files in the "english" folder.
    Last edited by marbleman; 10th Dec 2018 at 13:49.

I spent a whole lot of time with different localised versions of Thief and different 'language' settings to try to understand the nuances of it all: but throughout that, FMSel never once mucked about with language folders the way older loaders sometimes do. As far as I can tell, FMSel is completely language-agnostic, and only the game's configuration and the fm's configuration affect the language folders the mission and game resources are loaded from.

Just finished this mission. It was a hommage to several classic thief missions and was executed very well. Every enemy was cranked up to be super deadly, escpecially in the later part of the game. These burricks became dangerous predadors. I hated them

So this is definitively one of the harder missions out there - strong and numerous enemies in combination with mostly narrow passages. To begin with the positive, the catacombs, the sewers and the church were lovely made and they had some intelligent concepts, including a well thought out usage of rope arrows.

On the other hand, the maw section seemed to be hastily made and felt too linear. Thats too bad In addition, there was no fleeing point for most of the AIs set. Wounded AIs kept just standing there for slaughter and had an negative impact on gameplay. Again in the maw section, the lava flew way too fast for my opinion. It seemed surreal and was not a pleasure for the eyes...

But overall, thank you. For this mission I would give an 8/10 rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    My concern is that if it's FM Sel doing that, it may do it for any FM which has multiple language support. Mine does (Downtowne Funk), so if either of you have the same problem when trying to play it, please let me know. I'd like to understand the real cause here.
    I'm using NDL, and it's only this mission apparently. If I edit install.cfg back to the multi-language setting (english+german+french), your mission and several others with multi-language support all play correctly in English. With this mission, whether I load a save from playing before in English, or start a new game, the objectives and map are in German but the readables, NPC voices, and onscreen text for items & weapons are all in English. Edit install.cfg back to just english and everything is in English again.

I just finished this mission on Expert, ghosting. I thought that the church was ordinary but fun. The hammerites in the Nave, to me, were a nuisance to time. When I got into the lower regions everything expanded and turned amazing. I really liked the homages to Thief Gold missions and the modified AI. I especially liked the Bonehoard homage. The fast burricks were terrific. I had to laugh at them. I twisted the red stones to see what would happen to the "hammerheads," and I was not disappointed. I am curious to know how the ending would have worked without twisting the stones. Well done, FrenchDecay, JarlFrank, and marbleman!

BTW, I played with FMSel and TFix 1.26a and had no language problem. The "a" may be important.

Thanks for playing!

Peter, you can, in fact, get back to the start without twisting the stones. In that case, there will be no mayhem.

This was probably the mission I was most anticipating for this contest, and it totally delivered. The whole tomb felt very FrenchDecay-esque, so I was surprised to learn that all three of you contributed. I found it to be a little maze-like, but I had no problem getting through. I think that the Maw section is kind of weak, and is not as climactic as it could have been, especially after the turbo-burricks (sadly they were all mercilessly slaughtered- I alerted one, it alerted all the others, and the little arena area became an unfair fighting ground since I could hit them but they couldn't hit me). The havoc after the Maw totally makes up for it, though. It took me totally by surprise, and I had a hard time getting out even with a speed potion. This may be my favourite mission so far (though I've only played 5 not including my own).

Quote Originally Posted by McTaffer View Post
    This was probably the mission I was most anticipating for this contest, and it totally delivered. The whole tomb felt very FrenchDecay-esque, so I was surprised to learn that all three of you contributed. I found it to be a little maze-like, but I had no problem getting through. I think that the Maw section is kind of weak, and is not as climactic as it could have been, especially after the turbo-burricks (sadly they were all mercilessly slaughtered- I alerted one, it alerted all the others, and the little arena area became an unfair fighting ground since I could hit them but they couldn't hit me). The havoc after the Maw totally makes up for it, though. It took me totally by surprise, and I had a hard time getting out even with a speed potion. This may be my favourite mission so far (though I've only played 5 not including my own).
    Hey McTaffer, thanks for playing the mission! If you are curious, marbleman described who did what in the catacombs earlier in this thread, we all contributed (jarlfrank did the main room, I did the part on the west and marbleman made the major part.. So you havefound a way to cheese the burricks? Let me guess, they can't hit you if you're on a higher level right?
    I'm glad you enjoyed it
    Also on a final note, I may need your voice acting skills later this year if you are still up for it, you and bjack are a must-have in my book!

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchDecay View Post
    So you havefound a way to cheese the burricks? Let me guess, they can't hit you if you're on a higher level right?
    I'm glad you enjoyed it
    Also on a final note, I may need your voice acting skills later this year if you are still up for it, you and bjack are a must-have in my book!
    The opposite, actually. I was on a slightly lower level. They could "climb" on to the surrounding stone by their fidgeting, but I was pretty much able to sit and shoot them, since they never ran away. I could even reach a few of them with my sword.

As for the second part, I am most certainly available for whatever you have in store. My portfolio is significantly built up with this contest, so if you want to hear 4 more examples of voices I can do, play "Making a Profit" and "The Hunt".

@McTaffer Considering how nasty those burricks are, any way to deal with them is legit.
    But we certainly need to add flee points in the post-contest version.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Nice mission, finished in 44 minutes on "normal" difficulty, i will replay it in "expert" another time, Overall this is a high quality mission, everything is well built, and its a map that offers various scenarios/atmospheres. My favorite part are the catacombs.

Thank you for this Gift, my score is 8.5 out of 10

before I leave the crypts...is Martellos hammer in the crypts or do I find it later on,and is it ok to leave the crypts area without finding it first it?

@JonesCrusher The Hammer is not in the crypts, so you can move on.

Just finished this one.

Very well designed, fun and nice mission!

I must point out that undead can be annoying at times. But not in this mission. Since - intentionally or not - they actually CAN be sneaked by. I finished without killing a single haunt or zombie. I blackjacked a couple of ratmen. It was a pleasure! 26/30 from me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12