TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 149

Thread: TDP20AC Mission — Making a Profit (11/30/2018)

  1. #101
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2005
    Location: The Inverted Manse
    This is the only mission I've ever seen to crash Thief (and DromEd) under WINE. It dies immediately after the mission starts. Running it with strace shows WINE shuts the application down with the error 0xC0000005, which is access violation.

    I suspected squirrel to be the culprit, and I was right:

    Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x0000007e, invalid program stack in 32-bit code (0x0dd620ee).
    Register dump:
    CS:0023 SS:002b DS:002b ES:002b FS:006b GS:0063
    EIP:0dd620ee ESP:0033f788 EBP:00000000 EFLAGS:00010202( R- -- I - - - )
    EAX:00000076 EBX:0de276f0 ECX:0de3dc90 EDX:08000200
    ESI:0de3dc90 EDI:6072adaa
    Stack dump:
    0x0033f788: 0de3dc90 00000000 0de276f0 0dd652f4
    0x0033f798: 0de89d00 0de276f0 0033f87c 08000000
    0x0033f7a8: 00000000 0dd66885 0de3dc90 00000004
    0x0033f7b8: 0000002b 0033f7e0 0033f7f1 6072ad42
    0x0033f7c8: 00000001 0de276f0 0deee5a8 00000004
    0x0033f7d8: 0de278d8 0de278f8 01000001 00000000
    000d: sel=006f base=00000000 limit=00000000 16-bit r-x
    Backtrace:
    =>0 0x0dd620ee in squirrel.osm (+0x1e20ee) (0x00000000)
    0x0dd620ee: movl 0x8(%eax),%edx
    The code around that area is:

    101620df: 48 dec %eax
    101620e0: 89 45 1c mov %eax,0x1c(%ebp)
    101620e3: 8b 44 24 6c mov 0x6c(%esp),%eax
    101620e7: 8b 4c 24 74 mov 0x74(%esp),%ecx
    101620eb: 8b 55 00 mov 0x0(%ebp),%edx
    101620ee: 89 10 mov %edx,(%eax)
    The value of EBP or the stack seem to corrupted, but can't do much more without debug symbols. Interestingly, other missions that use squirrel (for example Catacombs of Knoss) work fine.

    Time to find a Windows machine it seems.

  2. #102
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrle View Post
    This one was a lot of fun, and a bit bigger than I was expecting going in.
    Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    The lighting falloff, as mentioned before, probably should be fixed
    Since two people have brought this up now, I guess I need to address it: all the lights in the mission have a radius set (well, I might have missed one or two), and nearly all of them also have an inner radius set so that the falloff is controlled. I put a lot of care into the lighting and making sure that in general shadowed ground implies shadows that will hide you (though there are places where standing beside a lit window will illuminate you while its sill prevents it from illuminating the ground). The wealthier streets are intended to be well-lit and feel hostile. Unless you (or nicked) have specific places where you think the lighting felt wrong that I can look into, I don't think there's anything to be fixed.

    and I did have a weird issue where the text for some readables (on parchments, I think?) was weirdly translucent in a way that made it hard to read, but it didn't affect every readable; books were fine, for instance.
    Can you send me a screenshot of one of the affected books? I did get one other report of this from one of the testers, but he thought it was just something peculiar to his install—but I guess not!

    If I had to offer a criticism, it might've been cool if disrupting the ritual was more involved. As is a couple flashbombs and it was done.
    It is a little more involved if you want to be stealthy about it. Thanks for the feedback though!

  3. #103
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Haplo View Post
    This is the only mission I've ever seen to crash Thief (and DromEd) under WINE. It dies immediately after the mission starts. Running it with strace shows WINE shuts the application down with the error 0xC0000005, which is access violation. I suspected squirrel to be the culprit, and I was right:
    Haplo, can you try editing sq_scripts/vfig_util.nut, and commenting out the entirety of the "CheckDarkGameType" and "CheckNewDarkVersion" classes, and see if that stops it crashing? If not, then try deleting (or moving elsewhere) vfig_util.nut and test it once again? I suspect that if anything I'm doing with squirrel is triggering the crash, it's something in there.

  4. #104
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2005
    Location: The Inverted Manse
    Quote Originally Posted by vfig View Post
    Haplo, can you try editing sq_scripts/vfig_util.nut, and commenting out the entirety of the "CheckDarkGameType" and "CheckNewDarkVersion" classes, and see if that stops it crashing? If not, then try deleting (or moving elsewhere) vfig_util.nut and test it once again? I suspect that if anything I'm doing with squirrel is triggering the crash, it's something in there.
    I was suspecting the same so after posting the above I experimented a bit more. Your stuff seems to be ok. If any of m20_ambience, m20_generic or m20_sanct is present, the game crashes. Tomorrow I will narrow it down a bit more. I'm quite curious myself.

  5. #105
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Haplo View Post
    I was suspecting the same so after posting the above I experimented a bit more. Your stuff seems to be ok. If any of m20_ambience, m20_generic or m20_sanct is present, the game crashes. Tomorrow I will narrow it down a bit more. I'm quite curious myself.
    Okay. Let's take this discussion to PMs so we don't clutter this thread with debugging talk!

  6. #106
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2001
    Location: Southern Tier NY, USA
    Another taffer said "and I did have a weird issue where the text for some readables (on parchments, I think?) was weirdly translucent in a way that made it hard to read, but it didn't affect every readable; books were fine, for instance." Same problem for me. Very hard to read. I have T1 not Gold with the Tfix patch. Ive played 2 other missions that worked fine. Doesn't the T fix 1.26 essentially patch it to T Gold with all the updates?

  7. #107
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightningline View Post
    Another taffer said "and I did have a weird issue where the text for some readables (on parchments, I think?) was weirdly translucent in a way that made it hard to read, but it didn't affect every readable; books were fine, for instance." Same problem for me. Very hard to read. I have T1 not Gold with the Tfix patch. Ive played 2 other missions that worked fine. Doesn't the T fix 1.26 essentially patch it to T Gold with all the updates?
    Can you PM me a screenshot of the problem? I still haven't been able to get it to happen myself, but I'll also dig out my TDP CDs and try installing from there with TFix, see if I can replicate it.

  8. #108
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vfig View Post
    Can you PM me a screenshot of the problem? I still haven't been able to get it to happen myself, but I'll also dig out my TDP CDs and try installing from there with TFix, see if I can replicate it.
    I'm on Thief Gold, so I don't think that's it.

    And here's a screenshot of the text issue: http://i.chattypics.com/files/201812...7oj1spjhdj.jpg

  9. #109
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vfig View Post
    Since two people have brought this up now, I guess I need to address it: all the lights in the mission have a radius set (well, I might have missed one or two), and nearly all of them also have an inner radius set so that the falloff is controlled. I put a lot of care into the lighting and making sure that in general shadowed ground implies shadows that will hide you (though there are places where standing beside a lit window will illuminate you while its sill prevents it from illuminating the ground). The wealthier streets are intended to be well-lit and feel hostile. Unless you (or nicked) have specific places where you think the lighting felt wrong that I can look into, I don't think there's anything to be fixed.
    I'm not going to go through the mission taking screenshots, but there were definite areas where a light was around a corner but the ground I was on was completely dark, and by stepping left/right moving the light behind the corner or not would move me from completely hidden to completely visible, despite the ground being completely identically dark in either position.

  10. #110
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2018
    Location: Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrle View Post
    I'm on Thief Gold, so I don't think that's it.
    And here's a screenshot of the text issue: http://i.chattypics.com/files/201812...7oj1spjhdj.jpg
    You are probably using 256-colours book.PCX, but The Mission uses old 70-colors version, that's why Your version of TextFont.FON causes a problem. Just rename or delete PARCH directory in mission's folder ./books/parch or - if You want to use 70-colors PCX - copy original TextFont.FON to this location.


    And for vfig:
    If You forced THIS version (70-colours) of ./books/parch/book.PCX then You should add (force) proper TextFont.FON to this directory too.
    ____________________________
    sorry for my very bad english :(

  11. #111
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2011
    @Kerrle - Thanks for the screenshot!

    @Mat99 - Thanks! That sounds like it's the cause all right. Deleting the books/parch directory in the mission folder is the best solution for anyone seeing this problem, and it won't cause any other issues for the mission: that directory was only needed for the betas, but I didn't remember to remove it for the release.

  12. #112
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrle View Post
    I'm not going to go through the mission taking screenshots, but there were definite areas where a light was around a corner but the ground I was on was completely dark, and by stepping left/right moving the light behind the corner or not would move me from completely hidden to completely visible, despite the ground being completely identically dark in either position.
    Okay, I spent a few minutes looking around the streets for places that seemed to fit this description. I could only find three possible suspects. The first two I think are fine; the third one is less than ideal. Any of these look like the place(s) that gave you grief?

  13. #113
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2004
    From your notes on the images we may just disagree about how that should work; I'd expect all three of those to be hidden.

    But overall I quite enjoyed your mission and I appreciate your work. This didn't ruin the mission for me or anything; I just had to adjust my play a bit. I did probably quicksave before stepping out near guards to see how the light would work around them.

  14. #114
    Member
    Registered: May 2005
    The game crashes to the desktop when I try to start this mission from the game menu. It does not play any intro video; just blackness, silence, and then the error message "Thief 2 has crashed" on the deskop (yes, "Thief 2"). I am playing on a new installation of Thief Gold (German version) with TFix 1.26a. squirrel.osm is in C:\Thief\OSM. This is 12th mission from the contest I am playing with this installation and the first I have problems with.

  15. #115
    Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Registered: Apr 2015
    It's a Thief 2 error since it's NewDark, the T2 engine.
    Post thief.log, it's in the root folder.

    As for the brightness. I noticed it, too. The street lamps are very bright (200) and radius is big (80).

  16. #116
    Member
    Registered: May 2005
    Thanks, Unna! Here is my thief.log:

    Code:
    : PID: 2296
    : CPU: arch=x86-64 , fam=586 , cpus=4
    : SIMD: SSE=3 , 3DNow=0 , MMX=1
    : OS Version: 4.0.950 
    : Desktop resolution: 1920 x 1080
    : Virtual desktop resolution: 1920 x 1080
    : -----------------------------------------------------------
    : Command line: "C:\Thief\thief.exe" -fm
    : -----------------------------------------------------------
    : CWD: C:\Thief
    : FM Path: FMs\Making A Profit
    : -----------------------------------------------------------
    : App Version: Thief 2 Final 1.26
    : --------------------- misc config -------------------------
    : resname_base .\patches+.\tgpatch+.\res
    : load_path .\patches+.\
    : script_module_path .\
    : movie_path FMs\Making A Profit\Movies+.\movies
    : mod_path usermods+mods\packfix+mods\candles+mods\EP\Thief1+NecroAge\Thief1+NecroAge+EP2\Thief1+EP2+mods+mods\t2skies+mods\EP
    : uber_mod_path OSM
    : variant_path english
    : install_path .\
    : language german
    : fm_language english
    : game_screen_size 1920 1080
    : game_screen_depth 32
    : game_screen_flags 45
    : game_full_screen 1
    : d3d_driver_index 0
    : game_hardware 1
    : single_display_mode 2
    : ui_scale_mode 2
    : use_d3d_display
    : framerate_cap 100.0
    : SlowFrame 4
    : SlowFrameUI 10
    : force_32bit
    : force_32bit_textures
    : mipmap_mode 2
    : lm_mipmap_mode 0
    : lm_init_texmem 2
    : lm_filter_margin 1
    : tex_edge_padding 2
    : alpha_test_as_opaque
    : d3d_disp_enable_distortionfx
    : sfx_device 1
    : sfx_channels 16
    : sfx_vol_music 0
    : sfx_vol_2d 0
    : sfx_vol_3d 0
    : game dark
    : dark1
    : obj_min -18192
    : obj_max 8184
    : max_refs 47740
    : gui_font intrface\smalfont
    : enhanced_sky 1
    : skip_intro
    : new_mantle
    : z_far 512
    : wr_render_zcomp
    : render_weapon_particles
    : legacy_force_match_unrefs 0
    : dark_zcomp_arm
    : -----------------------------------------------------------
    : Enumerating D3D9 adapters (1)...
    :    Adapter 0
    :       device name: \\.\DISPLAY1
    :       driver     : igdumdim32.dll
    :       descr      : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
    :       driver ver : 0x000A0012-000A0CE8
    :       vendor id  : 0x00008086
    :       device id  : 0x00000166
    :       subsys id  : 0xC0E1144D
    :       device guid: D7B78E66-4226-11CF-157B-EBE0B4C2
    :       desktop res: 1920 x 1080
    :       Modes
    :          320 x 200 x 16
    :          320 x 240 x 16
    :          400 x 300 x 16
    :          512 x 384 x 16
    :          640 x 400 x 16
    :          640 x 480 x 16
    :          800 x 600 x 16
    :          1024 x 768 x 16
    :          1152 x 864 x 16
    :          unsupported mode 1280 x 600 x 16 (not in mode table)
    :          1280 x 720 x 16
    :          1280 x 768 x 16
    :          1280 x 800 x 16
    :          1280 x 960 x 16
    :          1280 x 1024 x 16
    :          1360 x 768 x 16
    :          1366 x 768 x 16
    :          1400 x 1050 x 16
    :          1440 x 900 x 16
    :          1600 x 900 x 16
    :          1680 x 1050 x 16
    :          1920 x 1080 x 16
    :          320 x 200 x 32
    :          320 x 240 x 32
    :          400 x 300 x 32
    :          512 x 384 x 32
    :          640 x 400 x 32
    :          640 x 480 x 32
    :          800 x 600 x 32
    :          1024 x 768 x 32
    :          1152 x 864 x 32
    :          unsupported mode 1280 x 600 x 32 (not in mode table)
    :          1280 x 720 x 32
    :          1280 x 768 x 32
    :          1280 x 800 x 32
    :          1280 x 960 x 32
    :          1280 x 1024 x 32
    :          1360 x 768 x 32
    :          1366 x 768 x 32
    :          1400 x 1050 x 32
    :          1440 x 900 x 32
    :          1600 x 900 x 32
    :          1680 x 1050 x 32
    :          1920 x 1080 x 32
    :       Device Validation
    :          validated ok, device added (0, E390000)
    : Enumeration done
    : D3DProvider: Enumerating adapter 0 modes
    :    320 x 200 x 16
    :    320 x 240 x 16
    :    400 x 300 x 16
    :    512 x 384 x 16
    :    640 x 400 x 16
    :    640 x 480 x 16
    :    800 x 600 x 16
    :    1024 x 768 x 16
    :    1152 x 864 x 16
    :    unsupported mode 1280 x 600 x 16 (not in mode table)
    :    1280 x 720 x 16
    :    1280 x 768 x 16
    :    1280 x 800 x 16
    :    1280 x 960 x 16
    :    1280 x 1024 x 16
    :    1360 x 768 x 16
    :    1366 x 768 x 16
    :    1400 x 1050 x 16
    :    1440 x 900 x 16
    :    1600 x 900 x 16
    :    1680 x 1050 x 16
    :    1920 x 1080 x 16
    :    320 x 200 x 32
    :    320 x 240 x 32
    :    400 x 300 x 32
    :    512 x 384 x 32
    :    640 x 400 x 32
    :    640 x 480 x 32
    :    800 x 600 x 32
    :    1024 x 768 x 32
    :    1152 x 864 x 32
    :    unsupported mode 1280 x 600 x 32 (not in mode table)
    :    1280 x 720 x 32
    :    1280 x 768 x 32
    :    1280 x 800 x 32
    :    1280 x 960 x 32
    :    1280 x 1024 x 32
    :    1360 x 768 x 32
    :    1366 x 768 x 32
    :    1400 x 1050 x 32
    :    1440 x 900 x 32
    :    1600 x 900 x 32
    :    1680 x 1050 x 32
    :    1920 x 1080 x 32
    : D3DProvider: Enumeration done
    : sw framerate cap requested (10000 us)
    : D3DProvider StartMode: smode 1920x1080x32 ; mode 640x480x32 (5 9 0 2D) ; 2d_surf_mode: 0
    :    CreateDevice: res = D3D_OK ; 1920x1080 fmt=22 zfmt=75 cnt=1 ms=0 swap=1 fs=1 hz=0 pres=1 flags=2

  17. #117
    Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Registered: Apr 2015
    german and english are mixed somehow.
    Try editing install.cfg like this

    language german+english

  18. #118
    Member
    Registered: May 2005
    I set "language german+english", saved the CFG file and then loaded the mission via FMselect. Same result. When I start the mission ingame, I get a black screen and then a crash to desktop immediately afterwards.

  19. #119
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2005
    Location: The Inverted Manse
    Quote Originally Posted by Haplo View Post
    This is the only mission I've ever seen to crash Thief (and DromEd) under WINE. It dies immediately after the mission starts. Running it with strace shows WINE shuts the application down with the error 0xC0000005, which is access violation.

    I suspected squirrel to be the culprit, and I was right:



    The code around that area is:



    The value of EBP or the stack seem to corrupted, but can't do much more without debug symbols. Interestingly, other missions that use squirrel (for example Catacombs of Knoss) work fine.

    Time to find a Windows machine it seems.
    After a couple of hours of troubleshooting, it turned out that poor WINE was not to blame after all.

    Just in case the mission crashes for anyone else in the future: The root cause was an old squirrel.osm file. Even though my NewDark was 1.26, my squirrel module was from 2016 (which is apparently known to have a problem with PostMessage()) instead of 2018.

  20. #120
    Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Registered: Apr 2015
    @ Username According to the log your OS version is 4.0.950, that's Win 95. Is this compatibility mode?

  21. #121
    Member
    Registered: May 2005
    You are correct, I had the game running in Win 95 compatibility mode. Deactivating it solved the problem with this mission.

    That is now the third time you helped me with getting a mission to run. If you like, PM me your address and I will send you a personalised thank you card.

  22. #122
    Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Registered: Apr 2015

  23. #123
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2000
    Location: Land of enchantment
    Quote Originally Posted by vfig View Post
    It is a little more involved if you want to be stealthy about it.
    I would be interested to know what the stealthy method is. I ghosted the mission with the exception of the ritual. I played the ritual two different ways. (1) Dashed in to get the body, which stopped the ritual, but alerted everybody. (2) picked the hand from Lady Di Rupo during momentary darkness, which also stopped the ritual, more elegantly and stealthily, but again everybody was alerted after Di Rupo complained. I let it run for 1 hour 20 minutes after that, and the AI never went off alert. Carrying the body generated chases, regardless.

  24. #124
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smithpd View Post
    I would be interested to know what the stealthy method is. I ghosted the mission with the exception of the ritual. I played the ritual two different ways.
    No matter what you do, they're going to notice eventually that their sacrificial victim is gone or the Hand is missing, and start searching for the perpetrator. So the stealthy approach is to make your move and be out of the room with the Anax (and the Hand too if you like) before they notice. The floor is noisy, so you'll need some moss, and you'll have to find a way to douse the lights so you can make your move unseen.

  25. #125
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2000
    Location: Land of enchantment
    Quote Originally Posted by vfig View Post
    No matter what you do...
    Thanks. I could not accomplish what you suggested. The only lights I could extinguish are the ones on the floor level. I could not extinguish the central one or the high ones on the periphery. Floor lights plus moss did not help. The momentary darkness of the other lights was not enough time for me. I'll go back to it later when I have more time.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •