TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: TDP20AC Mission — Rose Garden (11/30/2018)

Classical Master 2008
    That's correct! And thanks for your comments.

Hi! Antoher great contest mission! Soo complicated, hard to discover everything
    Unfortunately, i have to restart the mission, I KOed everíbody, incl. that guard to the firebell objective... but never mind now i have the routine.
    I don't know why but that prisoner (with the interactive plate) didn't say a word just standing there silently. Is he supposed to give a riddle or a quest?
    And i managed to get the very very top of the city and i saw a drunken guy with an arrow on the floor and a not pickable lock. What to do with him?

+
    I found a closed door in Cistern Court when going down the stairs, there is a little balcony high up. The door is not pickable, and no key in the inventorí for that door... How could i go in? Is that place Pud's apartment ?

Thank you very much!
    Last edited by Cheela; 28th Mar 2019 at 05:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheela View Post
    Hi! Antoher great contest mission! Soo complicated, hard to discover everything
    Unfortunately, i have to restart the mission, I KOed everíbody, incl. that guard to the firebell objective... but never mind now i have the routine.
    I don't know why but that prisoner (with the interactive plate) didn't say a word just standing there silently. Is he supposed to give a riddle or a quest?
    And i managed to get the very very top of the city and i saw a drunken guy with an arrow on the floor and a not pickable lock. What to do with him?

+
    I found a closed door in Cistern Court when going down the stairs, there is a little balcony high up. The door is not pickable, and no key in the inventorí for that door... How could i go in? Is that place Pud's apartment ?

Thank you very much!
    Look for a key in Rose Garden to open that door.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMax View Post
    Look for a key in Rose Garden to open that door.
    Thank you, i managed to find it! Only much more later, i figured out what to give Pud in the cell and i only then got the hint for that key i already had.

Coud someone please help me,
    1. how to get the Master Forger's golden plate ? I can see it, very high on his house, it highlights when i am close enough but can't frob it.

2. Furthermore, there are 3 strange little doors, is any openable?
    a) rose garden, in the tavern, at stairs, above a statue. i can get up the beams and can hit the iron door, but how to open?
    b) still rose garden tavern, top floor, turning left, right after that dead thief, there is a flooded room, with a little metal hatch, is it openable?
    c) at Grandmauden, just before entering the library, there is a hall with 5-6 statues, high up beams and a little wooden door closed with padlock. no sound when hitting it.

3. what to do with those stange symbols, f.e. 17, 383, F3, (wwDJ (or something like that...) and so on?

4. What about the Golden Books?

5. can i visit the archive?

Maybe i should have choose english language, i played with german translations. (BTW, in the german texts some words slipped together right after a "ß" (scharfes s) letter so i think i missed some useful info.)

But... WOW... what a city to discover!
    I wish i could freely fly around this mission, I wonder how many places did i miss...
    Last edited by Cheela; 29th Mar 2019 at 10:27. Reason: missing spoiler tag

Having now spent hours prodding this FM and Disorientation in DromEd over the course of a few months, I think I have to rescind my preference for the latter. There are a few moments of picturesque elegance in Disorientation, e.g. having to duck your head on a ledge just south of Lady Eventroit's home, forcing the player to look and move in one direction to produce this vista...

... which opens out as you move forward. These moments make Disorientation special.

However, on average, I think the unbelievable level of detail in Rose Garden tends to produce a richer experience. While I and others might have some niggles about aspects of the plot or the main objectives, I don't know if I've played another Thief mission whose high points were so high. Exploring this mission provides frequent and intensely satisfying rewards -- finding myriad secrets, navigating nooks and crannies and successfully climbing dizzying towers and ledges.

The architecture and room layout is staggering, and shows off the capacity of stock resources. I found playing this mission a far more immersive experience that any FM that has attempted to be more photo-realistic. More so than basically any other Thief mission, I forget that I am piloting a camera moving around a polygon world, and I think this effect results from the arrangement of terrain and objects, not in their graphical fidelity. It has the effect that every 'walking simulator' is intended to have, and never does.

(No single screenshot has the effect that actually being able to look around this mission does, so here are a half-dozen from Cistern Court)

=

=

=

=

=

These are shots from different sides and heights of a single cul-de-sac. It isn't some grand centrepiece of the mission; in fact, it's reasonably out of the way in the north, and totally unnecessary to your main objectives. And every single area of this massive FM is as fleshed out, or more so, than this one unassuming spot. It is a marvelous achievement, and one I am very appreciative of.

This mission is not flawless. However, I think its troughs are few and comparatively shallow, heavily outweighed by its innumerable peaks. It is clearly a labour of love, and a supremely rewarding experience.

Great mission and very challenging too!

What to do with explosive charge?

Classical Master 2008
    Lord Taffer: Whatever you like!

DirkBogan: Thanks! The mission is definitely a labour of love, and I wanted it to have a certain mysterious beauty - a bit like Calendra's Cistern, which was one of my primary sources of inspiration.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678