TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: TDP20AC Mission Shadow Play (11/30/2018)

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

TDP20AC Mission Shadow Play (11/30/2018)

This thread is for any discussion or questions related to the mission Shadow Play by Schlock.
    You can download the mission HERE or HERE.
    The contest thread is HERE.

Please give clues instead of outright solutions when helping others and use the spoiler tag when you do this.

Remember that this mission, and by extension every mission made for the contest, is for THIEF GOLD. As such, do not load it with Thief 2! It is highly recommended you do not use the Enhancement Pack and/or HD texture packs to play this mission. It is also recommended you uncheck all optional features TFix comes with if you update to the latest version of the full executable.

Very good mission by schlock.Expert loot requirement is a toughie! Lots of it was hidden and I barely made it with 2100/2000 out of like 2900~!

Thanks! Not too long ago I cut down the amount of loot around the place because I thought it might be too easy, maybe not the right decision. I actually watched a bit of your stream earlier (I found your channel while watching speedruns on YT) and saw a point where you looked at practically every book on a bookshelf except the one that was a secret switch, which would have revealed enough loot to end the mission, but I've never bothered making a twitch account so I couldn't say anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlock View Post
    Thanks! Not too long ago I cut down the amount of loot around the place because I thought it might be too easy, maybe not the right decision. I actually watched a bit of your stream earlier (I found your channel while watching speedruns on YT) and saw a point where you looked at practically every book on a bookshelf except the one that was a secret switch, which would have revealed enough loot to end the mission, but I've never bothered making a twitch account so I couldn't say anything.
    well then

This FM represents everything I was hoping for from this contest. A strikingly beautiful, angular, well-designed manor that absolutely oozes style and atmosphere. Totally unpretentious, while managing to really capture the unsettling ambiance characteristic of The Dark Project.
    Personal highlights:
    NO MONSTERS. This mission was unnerving purely through the use of lighting and audio; any supernatural beings would have cheapened the experience.
    The dilapidated building with the Trickster/Pagan god face behind a locked door, complete with audio sting and a gold nugget reward. The setup and payoff here was perfectly executed in under a minute.
    The music room. It takes real talent to make something so everyday absolutely chilling.
    Rosenfield in front of his bedroom window, and the sword dumped unceremoniously in a storage room behind his bed.
    No switch- or key-hunts, or even any readables with obtuse clues. Just straight Thief gameplay in a rewarding environment.

Time will tell, but this one feels like a real classic. Fantastic work.

3 download mirrors came out of the shadow so far:
    https://www.thiefguild.com/fanmissions/7540/shadow-play

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    What a finely crafted little gem. Fantastic work man! I love the lighting and texturing work, and the way you've used ambiants. This mission has so much character.

You'd better keep doing fms afterward, you're gifted for that.

Glad you guys enjoyed it. I was worried the mission might be seen as insubstantial since it's pretty small and has practically no story, but sometime's that's just what you're up for.

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    You'd better keep doing fms afterward, you're gifted for that.
    I've already started working on the next one, though I'm taking a break from DromEd at least until the contest voting period ends.
    Last edited by Schlock; 3rd Dec 2018 at 19:37.

I don't think the mission was small, it took me over an hour to beat. Enjoyed it quite a bit, in fact there was nothing about it I didn't like. Great job.

Congratulations on the release! This was an hour of pure, uninterrupted fun! A classic Thief experience (and very good one). What I liked most is the texturing and the non-symmetrical brushwork which made the interior of the mansion interesting to explore. Hope to see more FMs from you in the furute

Was this your first mission? If so pretty good stuff. Multiple entryways, some hidden loot, not overly long or difficult. Pretty good mission to jump in and finish in one sitting.

Finished this fairly quick, but missing a ton of loot. I was struck by how gorgeous the architecture is, that manor is a thing of beauty

Wonderful! The relatively small space was used up very well. I thought this extract of a city felt believable, in a way.
    I've also made, like, 5 screenshots because some vistas are just pretty. I especially liked the taunting view onto the sword through a window, the kitchen corner and the swimming pool. You really have a hand for mise en scene.