TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TDP20AC Mission — The Lost City of Gazing Glass (11/30/2018)

Quote Originally Posted by vfig View Post
    Hint: it can be found within its opposite element. Answer: one of the adventurers has the fire key on his belt; but he drowned in the passages of the water temple.
    I don't know where the water district is located but the Greg scroll said the fire key was elsewhere. How do I get to the water district?

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    I don't know where the water district is located but the Greg scroll said the fire key was elsewhere. How do I get to the water district?
    From the fire district, not too far from the place with the lava pool there is even a sign for it on the right side of a dark corridor

Thanks Ticky! I missed one of the passages but now I have found it.

where do i escape? i'm on top of the pyramid right now.....

Quote Originally Posted by griswold View Post
    where do i escape? i'm on top of the pyramid right now.....
    hint: You need to check the place near Raul and beyond him, solution: the waterfall.

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    hint: You need to check the place near Raul and beyond him, solution: the waterfall.
    Well that was easy thanx

I was really concerned that I wouldn't be able to finish this because of the way loot was set up- I was only 1 loot over the requirement when I took the piece on the pyramid. I thought that the idea was solid, but the execution was less than ideal, especially with regards to the number of corridors and occasionally confusing layout, and also that platforming section in the fire district. I think that your other entry is far stronger, despite the lack of build time in comparison. Still, I enjoyed myself at the end of the day.

I needed a hint to get out of the very first room. Unable to find the tiny switch hidden behind a piece of machinery. Then I jumped down the hole and got stuck in a wall while trying to climb out. Very bad start.

In the rest of the mission, I did better and was able to progress fairly quickly, ending the mission with eighty-five loot in just under an hour. Despite the very basic architecture with long, empty corridors and a few tiresome maze sections, I got hooked on finding what happened to all of the adventurers who got lost in the City of Gazing Glass. I knew the MacGuffin would turn out to be a CD with Thief: The Dark Project. I think this has been done before in a very old mission, but I can't remember right now which one it was.

I thought this mission was a lot of fun. It was challenging to find everything, but not frustratingly so. Thanks mtk, I'm looking forward to playing your other entry.

Where is the earth key? I have everything else except that one. For this being your second map, I congratulate you. Nicely done.

mtk: "water one is inside the sunken temple in the dried out area up the 2 ramps, but it only opens with the button which is in one of the chambers in the sunken temple, ground floor, hidden on a wall"

Please, where exactly is the button?

Quote Originally Posted by colpin View Post
    mtk: "water one is inside the sunken temple in the dried out area up the 2 ramps, but it only opens with the button which is in one of the chambers in the sunken temple, ground floor, hidden on a wall"

Please, where exactly is the button?
    When swimming on ground floor, room is at the end of a long corridor and button is midway up the back wall.

The button is also marked with an exclamation mark ("!") on the maps. It's on the lowest piece of the three map pieces you get when playing the mission. The button is behind a piece of the wall that lights up and moves aside if you "frob" it.

Devorgilla, baeuchlein, Thank you very much. I would never find it. :-(

I am at pyramid door - where is earth key
    found it grabbed the note - didn't see the key
    Last edited by delgato5959; 21st Jan 2019 at 10:55.

I finished it on expert with 111 / 119 loot, 75 required. I ghosted it up to the end but then resorted to BJ / killing all because I had to retrace my steps and hunt harder to find loot and keys. I needed help from this forum in several places, including the air key and the rusty key.

I thought that the mission was a lot of fun to play and well designed. However, I thought that it was generally too hard. I found quite a few difficult secret areas. I saw a number of apparent secrets to which I could not find switches in spite of extensive hunting. Switches still not found include:
    Wall texture near floor in beginning haunt area;
    wall grave covers in room by zombie (what is the purpose of the frobbable grave cover on the floor?);
    middle door in generator room near end -- can that be entered?

The difficulty did not prevent me from having a great time playing it.

A very nice mission, enjoyed it a lot. I ended mission with 103 loot. Good Luck

How to disable new_mantle in this mission?

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Edit cam_ext.cfg in the root folder like this

;new_mantle

In file cam_ext.cfg new_mantle is disabled, but in game is still enabled for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Xmodule999 View Post
    In file cam_ext.cfg new_mantle is disabled, but in game is still enabled for some reason.
    Check fm.cfg in the mission's directory.

In this case new_mantle is disabled if is disabled in files cam_ext.cfg and fm.cfg. Mission completed with total loot 89/119.

An odd state of affairs here; I played and finished this lovely mission a few months ago and decided to begin playing through all of my favourite TDP20AC FM's again (about ten FM's). I have managed apart from one hint to reach the end again however, the objective
    spoiler:
    Could any of these urban legends be true?
    remains and I am now at
    spoiler:
    the waterfall.
    I do not recall missing any readables and have been through all areas playing on Normal difficulty. I am running from one end of the map to the other wondering what I have missed! Any hints gratefully appreciated.

Think I may have solved this myself
    spoiler:
    I ran straight over the Urban Legends book at the very start without picking it up!

Replaying on a higher difficulty now.
    Last edited by Duffer; 2nd Oct 2019 at 04:03. Reason: Found solution

A lot of fun

I enjoyed this mission.

I see it as an example of the triumph of content over form.
    Few fancy textures or advanced techniques here. Just some well-used Thief tropes assembled in clever ways to keep the player looking and exploring.

Nothing ground breaking (though a special kudo for the skewed water surface in the water realm; that could be the basis for a unique mission design on its own), just a lot of fun.

I give this one a 7/10

#3 here with 'Can't find the earth key'

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast