TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: TDP20AC Mission — The Lost City of Gazing Glass (11/30/2018)

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

TDP20AC Mission — The Lost City of Gazing Glass (11/30/2018)

This thread is for any discussion or questions related to the mission The Lost City of Gazing Glass by mtk.
    You can download the mission HERE or HERE.
    The contest thread is HERE.

Please give clues instead of outright solutions when helping others and use the spoiler tag when you do this.

Remember that this mission, and by extension every mission made for the contest, is for THIEF GOLD. As such, do not load it with Thief 2! It is highly recommended you do not use the Enhancement Pack and/or HD texture packs to play this mission. It is also recommended you uncheck all optional features TFix comes with if you update to the latest version of the full executable.

I am stuck in the flooded area. Is it possible to reach the top of the building? How do I open the sealed passage underwater?

I've also been to the cave with Raoul and I put the Fire Key in the lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemanyl View Post
    I am stuck in the flooded area. Is it possible to reach the top of the building? How do I open the sealed passage underwater?

I've also been to the cave with Raoul and I put the Fire Key in the lock.
    no, it's actually just a scrapped secret, it's only purpose really is to give a nice light effect.
    about the passage, if you mean the locked gate under the pipe, its a way back up opened by the very rusted key, just in case you miss one of the main keys (out of 4)

where is the water and air key?

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    where is the water and air key?
    hints
    water one wasn't stolen, its hidden inside the water temple

air one also wasnt stolen. It is in the first part right after the tomb and pillars, before you reach the stairs up with the webbed body

straight spoiler if you're still stuck
    water one is inside the sunken temple in the dried out area up the 2 ramps, but it only opens with the button which is in one of the chambers in the sunken temple, ground floor, hidden on a wall

air one, in that part where you go down the ramp with broken torch on the ground, you see two round textures on the ceiling.

Interesting mission this one!
    The surreal bits got me hooked right away, and there are some really clever things implemented. The way to reach the pyramid is very well done. That said, some segments don't work too well. The water temple is far too big and confusing. Apart from the surreal areas, the architecture is mostly comprised of corridors. There's too few enemies as well. I think the concept could be developed further into a more complex mission.
    Also, do I really need to hold the Disc to finish the mission? As soon as I drop it, the objective unchecks.

Just finished this one, and yes I agree with most of what Marbleman said.

It is a tomb exploration mission with a lot of yellow stone corridors linking the various different zones but finding all the loot and keys is quite a challenge, but I managed it.

There are a number of clever designs in this FM that impressed me, even if I had seen variants in other missions, so nothing so ground-breaking as to be OMG, but overall the style and layout worked well. I was a little surprised at the loot, the total loot available is only 119g, with most items only being 1g in value, so unless you find most of the hidden rooms, where some of the higher value items are, you may struggle to achieve your loot objective.

It's a lot bigger than mtk's other contest entry The Madness of Wolfgang Handspiegel which I thought was a lot more accomplished, but this mission has a bigger and better plot fleshed out via well thought out readables.

Thank you mtk for both of your missions.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemanyl View Post
    I am stuck in the flooded area. Is it possible to reach the top of the building?

Actually, there is a way... I took three crates (2 of them are in machinery room, and one is inside the water-temple) and just mantle on the crates and jump over. Even a roof is accessible. But... there is nothing there. The hole in the floor behind one of the collumn looked very promising. I was so sure for a hidden loot or some easteregg there :/ But no :(

I just jump inside and stuck forever because there is no way out :D

mtk - You could drop there a note/scroll like: "No way out from this place?... Yesss... You've been warned in the first readable by end-sentence: "Why was I so greedy...". Now... You will die like a rat to rot! as the author of the sentence"

Also - instead of it - just a LADDER and one/two pieces of loot (increasing it to 121 ;) would be sooo nice :) and cool for the effort with 3 crates ;) Maybe version 1.1 in the future? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mat99 View Post
    Actually, there is a way... I took three crates (2 of them are in machinery room, and one is inside the water-temple) and just mantle on the crates and jump over. Even a roof is accessible. But... there is nothing there. The hole in the floor behind one of the collumn looked very promising. I was so sure for a hidden loot or some easteregg there :/ But no

I just jump inside and stuck forever because there is no way out

mtk - You could drop there a note/scroll like: "No way out from this place?... Yesss... You've been warned in the first readable by end-sentence: "Why was I so greedy...". Now... You will die like a rat to rot! as the author of the sentence"

Also - instead of it - just a LADDER and one/two pieces of loot (increasing it to 121 would be sooo nice and cool for the effort with 3 crates Maybe version 1.1 in the future?
    the top of the sunken temple is actually a scrapped secret, I felt dromed fatigue a few times during making of this mission, and because of sometimes even 2 month breaks in development, I started running short on time to iron the bugs and fix gameplay, so the top of the temple is sadly empty!

1.1... it's possible, although I'm generally insecure about this mission because of how linear it is, and I think I should either rework bigger parts of it, or just leave it as it is. There's always a chance for an adventure fm in the future

Nevertheless, thank you for the feedback!

I'm stuck at the beginning. What do I do with the turbine?

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    I'm stuck at the beginning. What do I do with the turbine?
    Search at the control panel of broken turbine very carefully :)

Thanks!

How do I open this secret door in the water temple? I found an underwater button, but it didn't seem to do anything

EDIT: never mind, it worked after I pressed it again
    Last edited by Azaran; 7th Dec 2018 at 02:11.

Although linear, this was a cute, entertaining mission and surreal all throughout. I missed some very obvious secrets but I didn't seem to be able to find the levers

Thanks for participation and for the release of a solid FM!

As said before, the concept of this FM was solid, the story was polished out, but most of this mission were just simple rectangular corridors. At some time, it bored me somehow. I wish there were more enemies that the player can avoid in dark spots and a more diverse, open architecture. Loot hunting could be hard too if the player misses a tiny lever/button here and there.

I was glad you made a backdoor leading back from the water area to the fire area.

I liked the idea with the platter as disc. Very creative!

Some things could be improved greatly, but the basic concept is working. Therefore, I´ll give this mission a 4/10 rating.
    Last edited by Thinking Robot; 7th Dec 2018 at 19:39.

I am at the grand staircase.....have opened all the locks except Air...I have read here that Air key is back at the beginning? so is there a quick way back to get it from this area?...

Lovely mission tho...enjoyed it thoroughly....I also liked the Munching noise,coming from the hole where the cheese is...but you have to get close to the wall to hear it,lol

Quote Originally Posted by JonesCrusher View Post
    I am at the grand staircase.....have opened all the locks except Air...I have read here that Air key is back at the beginning? so is there a quick way back to get it from this area?...

Lovely mission tho...enjoyed it thoroughly....I also liked the Munching noise,coming from the hole where the cheese is...but you have to get close to the wall to hear it,lol
    yes, its in the first area right after the tomb and broken pillars with lava pit. If you want to go back from the end area, stack up crates in water pump room to go back up to the water district.
    Way from water district back up is by pipes (use rusty key from sunken temple on the gate underwater).
    the rest is simple

a hint for looking for the air key
    look for irregularities on the ceiling and suspicious dead ends

Didn't end this odd one, was trapped in
    spoiler:
    the water section
    lately, because I only had
    spoiler:
    three of the four elem keys.
    I saw many
    spoiler:
    secret doors but was not able to find out how to open at least one of them.
    Frustrating gameplay ... next FM.
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

I really like this one! but where do you go after getting all the elemental keys I have gotten back to fire area from water area?

Quote Originally Posted by pwl View Post
    I really like this one! but where do you go after getting all the elemental keys I have gotten back to fire area from water area?
    Go back to the water area, then climb out the other end of it where there's a huge hole torn in the wall.