TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: TDP20AC Mission — The Whistling of the Gears (11/30/2018)

I´m having a problem with the links of all of the thief gold fanmissions of the TDP20AC Contest.

There are always two links linked in the first post and a third one in another post:

-southquarter: no FM is listed when clicking on it
    -Google drive: the link is corrupted. When I try to open the FM it´s always lord baffords manor that starts. This happens with every google drive link of every thief gold mission of this contest. I´ve had this issue several times with thief 2 and the solution for it was a different link cause the used link was corrupted
    -taffersparadise: I click on it but nothing happens

What link do you guys use to be able to play the missions?

I went to Taffers Paradise and had no problem with downloading file. Maybe try to open link in new tab. Sometimes it works.

Thanks Galaer, unfortunately I tried that already aswell but still nothing happens

DromEd Archmage
    Quote Originally Posted by Samantha1 View Post
    I´m having a problem with the links of all of the thief gold fanmissions of the TDP20AC Contest.

There are always two links linked in the first post and a third one in another post:

-southquarter: no FM is listed when clicking on it
    -Google drive: the link is corrupted. When I try to open the FM it´s always lord baffords manor that starts. This happens with every google drive link of every thief gold mission of this contest. I´ve had this issue several times with thief 2 and the solution for it was a different link cause the used link was corrupted
    -taffersparadise: I click on it but nothing happens

What link do you guys use to be able to play the missions?
    In case the servers are down, use this link : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JeD...ew?usp=sharing
    It's my personnal Drive and the link still works, that should do it

EDIT : by the way, when you are trying to launch the mission using the google drive link, can you tell us what mission launcher are you using?
    About the website, it could also be due to the browser you're using?

Quote Originally Posted by FireMage View Post
    In case the servers are down, use this link : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JeD...ew?usp=sharing
    It's my personnal Drive and the link still works, that should do it

EDIT : by the way, when you are trying to launch the mission using the google drive link, can you tell us what mission launcher are you using?
    About the website, it could also be due to the browser you're using?
    Thank you!!! The problem is I have this issue with almost all of the thief gold missions from the TDP20AC contest, so I´d need the links to the other missions aswell. The only ones with a working link are downtowne funk and dewinder manor..

I am using the FM selector and the browser I am using is google chrome.

I have downloaded "The Whistling of the Gears" from the Google drive link yesterday (Sunday), and the zip was identical to the one I downloaded when the mission was published. I loaded an old savegame and could continue. The FM loader was FMSel. I used Firefox from Debian 9.13 (Linux) for downloading.

The Southquarter link does indeed lead to a page without downloads, but Yandros recently wrote in another thread that Southquarter really doesn't work now. So these links will work for no one at the moment.

Samantha, I am afraid you have to find out what is wrong on your computer. The Google drive links should work. Can you verify the integrity of the downloaded missions with a Zip program/utility? That would at least tell us whether it's the download or rather something after that which goes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by baeuchlein View Post
    ... that Southquarter really doesn't work now. So these links will work for no one at the moment ...
    Slightly off-topic.
    Is all southquarter.com likely to go away?
    I can see some webpages still there at present -

I only recently discovered Christine’s English website which has useful info, walkthroughs, etc. (although I believe she also has a German website) and I know things have changed in 20 years and I’ll never write an FM anyway but perhaps I’ll make a copy of Komag’s 1 page tutorial, if only to read sometime and understand a bit more. Historical information.

I tried to look it up on various FM download sites, but could not find any other mission by the same author as Whistling of the Gears. Are there any out there?

DromEd Archmage
    Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    I tried to look it up on various FM download sites, but could not find any other mission by the same author as Whistling of the Gears. Are there any out there?
    Well, normal because Deception was just an alias I used for the contest since it was an anonymous entry!
    I am the author of Whistling of the Gear!

If you want more maps from me, you have (warning, I'll also quote my missions when I was a beginner so... play them at your own risk!!) from the oldest to the newest :

- La Fête du Voleur (private joke to my fellows : No, I still claim this mission is an illusion, it still doesn't exist)
    - Horror in St Urbain
    - Revenge of Lt.Hagen
    - Overlord's Ending
    - Evil Thievery
    - Half-Assed Weddings
    - The Curse of the Skull Gobelet
    - The Wooden Box
    - The Chalice of Soul (collab with Skacky and Squadafroinx)
    - The Whislting of the Gears
    - Builder's Paradise

Note :

Don't expect the Whistling of the Gear touch in all of those.
    The three first have several glitches which can make the mission unplayable (because I used to play a little to much with Dark Engine limits without understanding all the glitches)
    And some are experimental in their gameplay like :

- Overlord's Ending is an action mission
    - Wooden Box is a randomized mission

Wooden Box & Half-Assed Weddings are also two short missions since the contest themes were 72h for Wooden Box and 48h for Half-Assed Weddings. So, very short time to make something detailed and entirely failproof.

Enjoy them!

Quote Originally Posted by FireMage View Post
    Well, normal because Deception was just an alias I used for the contest since it was an anonymous entry!
    I am the author of Whistling of the Gear!

If you want more maps from me, you have (warning, I'll also quote my missions when I was a beginner so... play them at your own risk!!) from the oldest to the newest :

- La Fête du Voleur (private joke to my fellows : No, I still claim this mission is an illusion, it still doesn't exist)
    - Horror in St Urbain
    - Revenge of Lt.Hagen
    - Overlord's Ending
    - Evil Thievery
    - Half-Assed Weddings
    - The Curse of the Skull Gobelet
    - The Wooden Box
    - The Chalice of Soul (collab with Skacky and Squadafroinx)
    - The Whislting of the Gears
    - Builder's Paradise

Note :

Don't expect the Whistling of the Gear touch in all of those.
    The three first have several glitches which can make the mission unplayable (because I used to play a little to much with Dark Engine limits without understanding all the glitches)
    And some are experimental in their gameplay like :

- Overlord's Ending is an action mission
    - Wooden Box is a randomized mission

Wooden Box & Half-Assed Weddings are also two short missions since the contest themes were 72h for Wooden Box and 48h for Half-Assed Weddings. So, very short time to make something detailed and entirely failproof.

Enjoy them!
    That makes the picture much clearer, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by baeuchlein View Post
    I have downloaded "The Whistling of the Gears" from the Google drive link yesterday (Sunday), and the zip was identical to the one I downloaded when the mission was published. I loaded an old savegame and could continue. The FM loader was FMSel. I used Firefox from Debian 9.13 (Linux) for downloading.

The Southquarter link does indeed lead to a page without downloads, but Yandros recently wrote in another thread that Southquarter really doesn't work now. So these links will work for no one at the moment.

Samantha, I am afraid you have to find out what is wrong on your computer. The Google drive links should work. Can you verify the integrity of the downloaded missions with a Zip program/utility? That would at least tell us whether it's the download or rather something after that which goes wrong.
    I´ve uploaded the zip file I have of the FM making a profit on google drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cN4...ew?usp=sharing
    To be exact, its the one that I downloaded from google drive and now I´ve uploaded it myself. Does this help in any way?

The thing is, I´ve had this issue 3-4 times with some of thief 2 missions aswell and there someone mentioned that the reason is because the link is corrupted. Indeed when I used another link then it worked. So I thought it´d be the same case here, but if the links work for you guys, sth. else must be the reason

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha1 View Post
    I´ve uploaded the zip file I have of the FM making a profit on google drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cN4...ew?usp=sharing
    To be exact, its the one that I downloaded from google drive and now I´ve uploaded it myself. Does this help in any way?
    Yes. The good news is: This file contains all TDP20 Anniversary contest missions, so you already have what you wanted in the first place. You just have to unpack the missions from this file.

When you tried to download the version of "Making a Profit" that had a Google drive link in the first post of the mission's thread, you most likely clicked on "Download all" (or "Alle herunterladen" in German) on the page that opened. This page was the one on Google drive where Southquarter placed all the TDP20AC missions. To allow you to download all of these missions, Google compressed them all into one large .zip file.

Unpack this .zip file with Windows and/or a Zip file utility, and you should get a folder named "tdp20ac", and inside this folder, you will find all of the TDP20 contest missions. There will also be some older versions of the TDP20 contest missions in a sub-folder called "old", and there will be a Word document called "Author list.docx". Copy the .zip files of the "tdp20ac" folder into your Thief 1 folder, and you should be able to play all of the missions - just what you wanted. You can safely delete the rest of these files after that.

There is a newer version of "Making a Profit" which is not contained in the .zip file. You should be able to download it (v1.1, to be exact) from the mission thread's first post. Everything else should be up to date, I think.

If you did not click on "Download all" when trying to download "Making a Profit", then I do not know why it went wrong, but my diagnosis still stands. By the way, I just tried it on a Chrome browser on a Windows 10 installation, and also had the page with the downloads and the "Download all" button on the right side of the page. Firefox on Linux displayed the same page and button, so it doesn't appear to be a browser-specific or OS-specific problem.

Ah you are riiight, that did the trick!! Thank you very much for the help!! I also downloaded the newer version of making a profit, so now I´m good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Aged Raver View Post
    I only recently discovered Christine’s English website which has useful info, walkthroughs, etc. (although I believe she also has a German website) [...]
    Christine once had a German site, but two recent posts on German TTLG.DE sound as if she currently only has the site on Southquarter. There appear to be some plans to move her (current) site to somewhere else. The German site seems to have vanished, but as far as I remember, it contained the material present on the English site, just with German descriptions.

Ah. Thank you. I must have been thinking of https://www.ttlg.de/ or I may have seen www.zinkchristine.de.vu in the notes of the NewDark update of The Night Falcon, which I recently enjoyed very much but, as you say, the site has vanished.

Still off topic. Apologies.
    Last edited by Aged Raver; 17th Mar 2021 at 14:38.

About an hour and a half into this one, and it's astonishing!! Quite confusing and a hard to navigate layout, but it's oozing old city vibe, where decades of layered buildings are evident. Based on the map the town seemed small, but the verticality and intricate pathways between buildings it actually is quite big. Love the sound design so far! There seems to be lots to visit still. Have only done the starting area, church and eastern industrial section.

Managed to enter a difficult open window in the abandoned factory. Found a broken elevator with what sounded like a hatch opening, and some creepy backwards noises on a different floor. Was also a homeless guy in there staring out of boarded up windows. I found nothing of value in that place. Is there something to do here or just a red herring? I though maybe standing on the lift would open a panel nearby that I could run to, but didn't find anything.

@klatremus: You're not meant to reach that place this way. Keep playing, you'll learn more later.

Thanks!

Close to finishing this one now. Although it is a very well constructed mission, it took a dip when having to retrieve the shards. That just meant another round through town fetching stuff, plus when the one shard started teleporting it just seemed like taunting the player. I had the hardest time figuring out how to destroy the core also. I understood all the directions, but I was sure a "holy symbol" meant I had to bless the hammer with holy water. I spent so long before realizing that the hammer by itself would do.

2 questions:
    - Where is the place where this guy has information on Tudor? I have searched around the crane area and I think I know the knocking code from the hidden book at Tudor's, but I just can't find it. None of the doors/windows around there are frobbable. This is a very difficult objective to complete, and it's mandatory at that. I imagine missing that book at Tudor's is common also.
    - Is there a way to get into the lower floor at the alchemist's? There is a gate leading to stairs down that I can't find a way to open.

Solid mission, but there's no way I would be able to finish this without hints. Plus, getting from A to B takes so much longer due to the required acrobatics. Most of the ledges and pipes are extremely small, to the point of not looking intentional. Definitely for expert and experienced players this.

Edit: Third question, a readable at the scrappers talked about this Jeed(?) fellow staying in one of the guest rooms. It said to search in the ceiling, but in what room? I found so many panels on beams leading to vent shafts that I dont know if one of those was the one. Wasn't that the guy that disappeared from prison? I dont think I found him yet.
    Last edited by klatremus; 6th Sep 2021 at 13:30.

Quote Originally Posted by klatremus View Post
    Where is the place where this guy has information on Tudor? I have searched around the crane area and I think I know the knocking code from the hidden book at Tudor's, but I just can't find it. None of the doors/windows around there are frobbable. This is a very difficult objective to complete, and it's mandatory at that. I imagine missing that book at Tudor's is common also.
    Use your blackjack on unfrobbable door under crane. Nobody should alert to that.

Thanks, I found the door, but when I knock 3 times the slit in the door opens then just closes a few seconds later. The readable says to stay still after knocking. Am I missing something here?

Are you sure you've read the readable on this save file? Maybe you read it and reloaded later? You have to have read it for this to work.

I definitely read it earlier, but can't remember if I reloaded after that. I must have, as I went back and read it again and then it worked. This objective was honestly way too hard. From the book that is so well hidden I missed it the first 2 times searching that room, to the fact you can't bring it with you but have to remember the info when you don't even know if it's that important, and then the objective item doesn't spawn until you've read it, and the use of a blackjack on a door that doesn't highlight or frob...seriously? A simple choice of making this a hidden objective that doesn't spawn until you've read that book would've fixed it all. Then you know the information in it is important, plus you know you've read the book and triggered the scroll because you have the objective in the list. The door should also have stood out a lot more. Make it highlight but no lock sound, then you know you have to interact with it in some way.

Right now that frustration sits in me enough to scar the mission, probably unfairly so. When a day or two passes, I'm sure I'll sit back and really enjoy ghosting it, but some of the gameplay choices in this one was just poorly executed. The shards objective was too tedious, with only 1 second in each of 4 locations briefly showing you where they are. And you don't even know what's happening until after reading the updated objectives, which forces the reload anyway. I had to go back and take screenshots in order to understand where the locations were. Not fun, and completely broke the immersion.

As I said before, good mission, but hampered by the aforementioned choices. Dropped from 9/10 to 7/10 for me.

Edit: Read about the extra fire mage loot from a previous post. I had seen that mage from a previous window, but never even attempted to get up there. You can get up without a speed potion or any stackables. Just a jump from the nearest railing. 4 flash bombs will kill the mage, and if you keep your distance, you won't take any damage. After 4 retries, I got a scenario where no coins dropped off the edge. If they do, it's very difficult to locate them. With coins off the edge I got to within 1 coin (5 loot off the max) twice, but on the 4th try they all stayed on the tower surface. This was a very cool easter egg!
    Last edited by klatremus; 6th Sep 2021 at 19:31.

DromEd Archmage
    Quote Originally Posted by klatremus View Post
    I definitely read it earlier, but can't remember if I reloaded after that. I must have, as I went back and read it again and then it worked. This objective was honestly way too hard. From the book that is so well hidden I missed it the first 2 times searching that room, to the fact you can't bring it with you but have to remember the info when you don't even know if it's that important, and then the objective item doesn't spawn until you've read it, and the use of a blackjack on a door that doesn't highlight or frob...seriously? A simple choice of making this a hidden objective that doesn't spawn until you've read that book would've fixed it all. Then you know the information in it is important, plus you know you've read the book and triggered the scroll because you have the objective in the list. The door should also have stood out a lot more. Make it highlight but no lock sound, then you know you have to interact with it in some way.

Right now that frustration sits in me enough to scar the mission, probably unfairly so. When a day or two passes, I'm sure I'll sit back and really enjoy ghosting it, but some of the gameplay choices in this one was just poorly executed. The shards objective was too tedious, with only 1 second in each of 4 locations briefly showing you where they are. And you don't even know what's happening until after reading the updated objectives, which forces the reload anyway. I had to go back and take screenshots in order to understand where the locations were. Not fun, and completely broke the immersion.

As I said before, good mission, but hampered by the aforementioned choices. Dropped from 9/10 to 7/10 for me.

Edit: Read about the extra fire mage loot from a previous post. I had seen that mage from a previous window, but never even attempted to get up there. You can get up without a speed potion or any stackables. Just a jump from the nearest railing. 4 flash bombs will kill the mage, and if you keep your distance, you won't take any damage. After 4 retries, I got a scenario where no coins dropped off the edge. If they do, it's very difficult to locate them. With coins off the edge I got to within 1 coin (5 loot off the max) twice, but on the 4th try they all stayed on the tower surface. This was a very cool easter egg!
    No worries, I've been informed of these gameplay issues during the contest result. Most of these are planned/or even fixed in the Upgraded version I am working on.
    I would not say the choices are poorly executed, but more like these didn't had the required time to be tested enough since like BP, I have been lacking of time and had only two weeks to launch the betatests of the mission when everything was in place... and if two weeks is enough to chase glitches and bugs in order to make a winnable/working mission, it's definitely not enough to improve gameplay, optimize the playtime and balance the game. Which is the reason some lame gameplay choice chosen for their originality at first can find their way in a mission, due to the lack of time to take a step back and improve it.

About the easter egg you mention, take note that (and it's the same with the extra loot you can get if you buy the contract in the shop) the coins are not part of the loot at the beginning of the mission ie if you don't find the easter egg (or didn't bought the contract), you can always get 100% of loot since these pieces of loot doesn't exist until you did the necessary to make it exist.

Thank you for your response, Firemage. I was maybe a bit harsh in my criticism earlier. Since I'm not a mission author, I probably don't think about deadlines and reduced testing time as a limitation. I definitely did enjoy playing the mission and already look forward to ghosting it.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast