TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TDP20AC Mission The Whistling of the Gears (11/30/2018)

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

TDP20AC Mission The Whistling of the Gears (11/30/2018)

This thread is for any discussion or questions related to the mission The Whistling of the Gears by Deception.
    You can download the mission HERE or HERE.
    The contest thread is HERE.

Please give clues instead of outright solutions when helping others and use the spoiler tag when you do this.

Remember that this mission, and by extension every mission made for the contest, is for THIEF GOLD. As such, do not load it with Thief 2! It is highly recommended you do not use the Enhancement Pack and/or HD texture packs to play this mission. It is also recommended you uncheck all optional features TFix comes with if you update to the latest version of the full executable.

Just started this one, and I must say it's the most intricately detailed FM I've ever seen. The things they did with the objects and textures astounds me! This is the first FM that has so perfectly captured the Medieval Steampunk Universe. The sounds create such an ambience! I can't imagine the amount of time this took. Well done!

This looks fantastic but it shares a bit with the first Rocksbourg level in that it gets so dense it can be a bit hard to navigate.

Hasn't stopped me from enjoying the hour and a half or so I've spent in it.

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by StinkyKitty View Post
    Just started this one, and I must say it's the most intricately detailed FM I've ever seen. The things they did with the objects and textures astounds me! This is the first FM that has so perfectly captured the Medieval Steampunk Universe. The sounds create such an ambience! I can't imagine the amount of time this took. Well done!
    Ain't that the truth. I never thought anyone would ever recapture the last moments of Thief's ending cutscene in FM form... and yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrle View Post
    This looks fantastic but it shares a bit with the first Rocksbourg level in that it gets so dense it can be a bit hard to navigate.
    It might be hard to navigate at first, but once you explore a bit, you will realize how much thought was put into the layout. Nothing is placed randomly here; the flow of this mission is beyond amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by marbleman View Post
    It might be hard to navigate at first, but once you explore a bit, you will realize how much thought was put into the layout. Nothing is placed randomly here; the flow of this mission is beyond amazing.
    The Rocksbourg series are some of my very favorite fan missions, so bear that in mind when considering what I said.

Hasn't stopped me from enjoying the hour and a half or so I've spent in it.
    I can only agree to this, atmosphere is right up there with the stars, but I spend a few hours in this mission now, to the point where it is now completely void of loot and AI (at least the areas I have discovered), I am however now stuck, not knowing where to go or what to do next...
    I have not yet figured out how to get inside the blocked Hammer temple, and have also not found the machine/crystal which I'm supposed to damage (thought it would be in that caged in rooms in the top of the factory?)

@Kerrle Didin't mean to be arrogant, sorry if it came out that way Just voicing my admiration for the mission.

Directory link:
    https://www.thiefguild.com/fanmissio...g-of-the-gears

@Deception, I didn't found any plot introduction in your readme file. If you wish to have one in the directory, please contact me so I can add it.

Edit: Updated, with a help of Skacky as a middleman
    Last edited by Marzec; 3rd Dec 2018 at 09:07.

Three and a half hours in! Found the machine.

I figure it's destruction needs the use of elemental arrows (as well as the controls) but need a hint of the process.

Absolutely fantastic mission. Enjoying every minute of it.

There's a book near the machine that suggests a weakness. You might try using/dropping a holy item near it.

There's a book near the machine that suggests a weakness. .
    Thank you. Might need to go back and retrieve the holy item.

i am "dew the southern savage" :P i love it ,i finally get to live in a fan mission for ever

great work

Lovely city and architecture with a great atmosphere. Loved climbing and exploring the complicated layout although struggled a bit with navigating around especially after my inevitable falls and constantly having to go back and forth .

Damaged the Core ok but then my heart sank a little when I found that I needed to then find the 4 core shards to put the machine back together again - without any hints as to where they had ended up . Having some shards disappear and reappear elsewhere in the city when you thought you had frobbed them was frustrating. The first time I thought I had gathered all 4 pieces but at the factory only realised I had 3 - but all done eventually. A good but tough mission so far - with a cool title!

Would be great to complete the mission but would appreciate any hints to find the compromising information and I still have a locked door in the apartment with the rowing couple.

Thank you.

It's a good mission!)

I have some questions: Where to find gas crystal?

And what sort of holy item? I already found holy water and hammer. Are there more than one way to destroy the core?
    Last edited by michael a; 6th Dec 2018 at 09:55. Reason: Solved

Quote Originally Posted by michael a View Post
    It's a good mission!)

I have some questions: Where to find gas crystal?

And what sort of holy item? I already found holy water and hammer. Are there more than one way to destroy the core?
    Plenty of "holy item" in true, you can destroy the core by :
    -Shooting an holywater arrow in the portal
    -Throwing a hammer through it
    -Dropping an holywater bottle
    -Dropping an hammerite corpse

Thanks! I already experimented with holywater arrow and a hammer. Firstly it took for a while to understand about portals. Than that it was elemental shards, not arrows. What an amazing mission! It is not big but extremely dense like Zealot's Hollow, for example.

I turned the corner to find this archer like this.

Is this normal? I thought it was posed to be hanging out but it's bent down a bit too much maybe. But he can't react to me like he's in sleep mode or something yet his voice is normal ambient alert0 complaining. If I hit him he complains and moved a foot then freezes again. Is this in the mission or is it my install?

Okay maybe another bug to report, the sandbag in these guys' place, not far from where that screenshot was made is odd. If you bump a guy with it, he no longer cares about you. I was trying to knock him out, as you know they can do that. But I threw horizontal from the ground about a DU to 2 DU away, it bounced off him and landed and he's not looking around for someone else. I picked up the sandbag and did the same thing to his friend charging me pist off and, yeah bump, he no longer cares about me. It may be somehow switching them to team neutral on the fly.

Amazing mission, love how labyrinthine it is!

@Tommyph1208
    Church: Check out the walls in the vestibule, there's a tunnel you can crawl through that leads past the barricades into the nave. There are a few other ways in via balconies, but those are harder to describe.
    Machine: Yes, it's in the caged room in Tudor's quarters. Are you in that room yet? If not, see where you can rope arrow your way in. If you are, find the three appliances to get the machine running, then follow the instructions in the book.

@Sagittal
    Compromising information: Investigate Tudor's bedroom carefully, you'll find hints where to go next.
    Locked door: Look straight down from the window in that room. The key fell onto the window in the roof below. (I was quite surprised at what turned out to be behind that door...)

Anyone else find a special vase in the mission?

I might have hit a bug as one of the core pieces didn't spawn in the city, specifically the one in the corner with pipes and dirt mounds as shown when the core explodes.

piesel: someone might have taken it.

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    piesel: someone might have taken it.
    Oh thanks, i'll check more carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Stibitzki View Post
    Amazing mission, love how labyrinthine it is!

@Sagittal
    Compromising information: Investigate Tudor's bedroom carefully, you'll find hints where to go next.
    Locked door: Look straight down from the window in that room. The key fell onto the window in the roof below. (I was quite surprised at what turned out to be behind that door...)

Anyone else find a special vase in the mission?
    Thanks Stibitzki. Mission completed.

I had found that readable in Tudor's bedroom but hadn't realised it's importance.

Retrieved the key as well - but maybe it was best to leave the door locked . When I neared the window for the first time I did see a bowl or vase thrown out of the window in their argument - which was cool - so maybe the key was thrown as well?

Didn't find a special vase - although found a "Taffer Award" scroll when climbing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast