TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TDP20AC Mission Madness Of Wolfgang Handspiegel (11/30/2018)

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

TDP20AC Mission Madness Of Wolfgang Handspiegel (11/30/2018)

This thread is for any discussion or questions related to the mission Madness Of Wolfgang Handspiegel by mtk.
    You can download the mission HERE or HERE.
    The contest thread is HERE.

Please give clues instead of outright solutions when helping others and use the spoiler tag when you do this.

Remember that this mission, and by extension every mission made for the contest, is for THIEF GOLD. As such, do not load it with Thief 2! It is highly recommended you do not use the Enhancement Pack and/or HD texture packs to play this mission. It is also recommended you uncheck all optional features TFix comes with if you update to the latest version of the full executable.

I've started with this one. Anybody else did too? I could use some information exchange becasue I'm desperately stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffey View Post
    I've started with this one. Anybody else did too? I could use some information exchange becasue I'm desperately stuck.
    Yep, I've started with this one as well. What kind of clue do you need?

Well right now I am stuck right after I found the key in the bathtub thingy. I've read the glowing book in the library and it seems I've been everywhere. I got 3 keys and a book and that is it I can't move.
    Last edited by Taffey; 1st Dec 2018 at 13:55.

Well right now I am stuck right after I found the key in the bathtub thingy. I've read the glowing book in the library and it seems I've been everywhere. I got 3 keys and a book and that is it I can't move.
    Please use spoiler cover as requested above.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahenjo View Post
    Please use spoiler cover as requested above.
    Oh shoot I didn't notice I'm sorry. Fixed.
    Last edited by Taffey; 1st Dec 2018 at 13:55.

Hint: search in the bedroom.
    Bigger hint: examine the area near the swords display case in the bedroom.
    Solution: there is a hidden lock at the bottom of the stairs, near the swords display case, in the bedroom.

Oh shoot I didn't notice I'm sorry. Thing is um I don't know how.
    Just select the text to be covered then click the 'S' button on the toolbar. You can practice by editing your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemanyl View Post
    Hint: search in the bedroom.
    Bigger hint: examine the area near the swords display case in the bedroom.
    Solution: there is a hidden lock at the bottom of the stairs, near the swords display case, in the bedroom.
    Thank you!!! Man I'm one blind fool

Ok I feel like an idiot again but any hint regarding the family heirloom?

Ok I feel like an idiot again but any hint regarding the family heirloom?
    Hint: Near where you started
    Big Hint: Circular Library
    Spoiler: Need to frob a book, high book SE bookcase.

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    Hint: Near where you started
    Big Hint: Circular Library
    Spoiler: Need to frob a book, high book SE bookcase.
    Thanks that helped a lot

This is a lovely little mission, and yes it's tiny, but it captures the OM T1 feel perfectly, most of the loot is in open sight but some is well hidden, the readables and the plot are simple but well put together, the mission is bug free and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Well done mtk, you should feel real proud of this one.

i enjoyed this tricky little mission 2430/3134 i did need help to find heirloom ,but i figured out the rest of the mission

great job on mission

I started with this one too!
    A wonderful place to start the contest. Congratulations mtk, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Awesome mission. Very quick and puzzles were very, very cool!

Fun little mission!
    Any mission that focuses on surrealism gets me hooked right away! The Sword-like atmosphere of madness is pretty well-done here. However, the mission relies too much on keyhunting and finding secret switches - something to watch out for in future missions.

This was a very good little mission. The first I played so far in the contest so good luck. I enjoyed it!

Not a bad little mission with a fun Constantine's manor vibe. Unfortunately, it was a bit too short and linear, and relied heavily on keyhunt/find tiny hidden things gameplay. I would have liked to see this expanded into a larger mansion with more room for exploration and less railroading with keys. Definitely has potential, the Sword atmosphere is great!

I agree with what Nicked said regarding the gameplay, but it's a good little mission with a nice concept. Worth a playthrough!

Okay, taffers, it's time for a short summary of the mission. Warning, spoilers ahead, don't look if you haven't finished the mission yet.

Madness of Wolfgang Handspiegel is a small-sized level inspired primarily by Constantine's mansion.

Atmosphere

+ Very clever use of ambient sounds and loops. Significant changes in the scenery (cemetery, chapel etc.) are indicated by new background sounds - it makes exploration more enjoyable.
    + Level design is top-notch. There are no empty, boring rooms with no objects to interact with. Even though the mission is small, there are plenty of interesting places to go (such as the cemetery and the attic accessible via a rope arrow - nice surprise!).
    + Excellent use of coloured lighting (or whatever it's properly called). The glowing hues of green, red and blue create a very specific atmosphere, especially in the chapel.
    + Creepy, surrealist atmosphere in the entire level. A brilliant tribute to "The Sword".

Gameplay

+ Loot was not very difficult to find, yet it provided an enjoyable challenge.
    + No bugs.
    + The few monsters you placed in the mansion necessitated slow walking and the use of water/moss arrows. I liked that.
    - Too much time in this mission is spent on looking for hidden switches/items. The clues in the readables were rather unclear. For example, I did not understand the secret instructions given in a book in the hallway. It took me quite a while before I discovered the hidden lock in the bedroom (despite reading the woman's journal). I also couldn't find the heirloom untill I decided to use a rope arrow in the library. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against hidden switches and keyhunt (I eventually found everything), but here you overdid this element of gameplay. It's frustrating.
    - There could be more enemies.
    - A few more rooms could be a good idea.

Storyline

+ Interesting, simple briefing that encourages the player to play the mission.
    + An element of surprise as soon as you crawl out of the shaft: "damn, looks like Constantine got here before me!". Another surprise in the underground room.
    + The readables were not unnecessarily long and without any serious grammar mistakes.
    - However, the clues given in them were not clear.
    - You could add another objective or a simple task related to the cemetery and the ghost walking there.

Verdict

The strong aspect of this small, yet generally enjoyable mission is level design and general atmosphere. It's been a sheer pleasure visiting a spooky manor infested with Maw beasts. Had it not been for the frustrating hunt for hidden objects that distracted me from the main objectives, I would have rated gameplay higher. It's something you need to work on if you plan to make more missions. My piece of advice: the switches in the kitchen and in the chapel are not that difficult to find and you should use them as an example of how to conceal a hidden object. But in general, replace such frustrating elements with more challenging patrols, greater quantity of enemies, traps etc. Those are much better alternatives for spending hours on finding a small button hidden in the middle of nowhere. Last but not least, the storyline in your mission was definitely interesting, it encouraged exploration. I take into consideration the fact that it was supposed to be a small-sized level, but please consider expanding the mansion, as I think your mission has a big potential. Thank you for your time and effort. Congratulations for making a great mission in such a short period!

PS: I don't give numerical ratings, as I haven't played all the contest missions yet.

For a mission that was built in only a week, it was great!

Thank you all for the great feedback, especially Aemanyl, its very helpful!
    and yes, if plans allow, its not over for Wolfgang yet :>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast