TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TDP20AC Mission Heart And Soul (11/30/2018)

I just started this mission, and it is great so far. I am curious. What happens if one does not buy the silver key at loadout? I did, so I am progressing nicely. Would that trap the player, or is there another way?

Edit: I found another silver key, in an almost secret area in the library, but only after passing through several doors requiring a silver key, so I am still a bit confused about the "correct" sequence.
    Last edited by smithpd; 8th Dec 2018 at 21:09.

Quote Originally Posted by smithpd View Post
    I just started this mission, and it is great so far. I am curious. What happens if one does not buy the silver key at loadout?
    Nothing will happen ;)) Everything will go smooth and fine :)

Edit: I found another silver key, in an almost secret area in the library, but only after passing through several doors requiring a silver key, so I am still a bit confused about the "correct" sequence.
    There is no such "thing" as "correct sequence". You do what You want, You go where You want to. There is more than one Silver Key in the mission area and You don't need to buy it in loadout.

I switched on five particle beams aimed at a white stone on a pedestal. That's all I could see with a bird's-eye view. Nothing happened. Then I found a telescope that shot particles into a tube. Nothing happened. Am I missing something, or is this just eye candy?

[...] Am I missing something, or is this just eye candy? [...]
    Yes, You have missed a readable which explains the thing, or You just not found it yet :)

I read the readable, and I found a thing -- the Adviser's Emblem. It had a particle beam going down into the sarcophagus. I don't know what did it, the five antenna beams, the telescope beam, or both. I had to kill 3 AI to get it, so the ghost run is busted. Tomorrow I still have to find the stones.

I read the readable, and I found a thing -- the Adviser's Emblem. It had a particle beam going down into the sarcophagus. I don't know what did it, the five antenna beams, the telescope beam, or both. I had to kill 3 AI to get it, so the ghost run is busted. Tomorrow I still have to find the stones.
    The crystal being hit by the five particle beams is directly above the Adviser's Tomb. The telescope is a bit more obscure, but the easiest way to find out is to follow the pipes. There was another astronomy tower in an OM that you've likely visited. If you can remember why you had to go there, the telescope will make sense.

Thanks McTaffer. That was helpful. I don't remember that astronomy tower in the OM or the reason for going there. If you would kindly give me a spoiler on the OM one, then I might have a better clue for this one. Meanwhile, I'll try following pipes.

The OM I'm referring to is Return to the Cathedral. One of the tasks Brother Murus gives you is to make a holy symbol. The first step being to forge it, and the second to bless it. In order to bless the holy symbol, you have to climb the astronomy tower to dip it in moonlit water. This mission makes slightly different use of the moon, but the basic premise is the same. Once you find the endpoint, I think you'll understand what I mean.

Well, I finished it in Expert. Got all objectives (as required) and missed 327 loot. Thank you McTaffer and StinkyKitty for an excellent mission!

I traced the pipe from the telescope to find a holy water fountain. Sorry to make such a big deal over a relatively small item, but it was entertaining.

I have an issue with the Mystic's Heart. I needed a speed potion to get up the ramp. I was lucky to have one. Is there another way? If not, it is a potential dead end, never being able to complete the mission.

I have an issue with the Mystic's Heart. I needed a speed potion to get up the ramp. I was lucky to have one. Is there another way? If not, it is a potential dead end, never being able to complete the mission.
    No, You did not need it. You missed another way - up way :) Check a route with two gates (up and down) after You put the lever You found down in zombie area. There is another route above leading to Mystic Heart :)
    Last edited by Mat99; 10th Dec 2018 at 06:45.

So you just ran straight up the ice ramp and left? That's one way to do it, I suppose.

That's what emergent gameplay is all about

Quote Originally Posted by McTaffer View Post
    So you just ran straight up the ice ramp and left? That's one way to do it, I suppose.
    Ice ramp should be longer then ;) or Speed Potion should be removed from the mission. But then again someone will try to stack crates :D In this particular example I think there should be ONLY one solution, but maybe I'm wrong and multiple choices to do a brainstorm in player's head are good? ;)
    Last edited by Mat99; 12th Dec 2018 at 07:52. Reason: typo correction

OK, I went back and got the Mystic's Heart by the "preferred" method suggested in part by Mat99. It's a bit trickier, but no speed potion is required. The solution is, after invoking the zombie with the lever, a door opens with access to a tunnel to the water. I already knew that. But then I had to back-track to an area I had been before to find a newly opened route to the Heart. I had missed that route previously, so I had used the speed potion out of desperation. I agree that the speed potion should be removed. Maybe a little clue to go back would help. Thanks, Mat99.

The clue could be a note left in the newly opened room between the zombie and the tunnel. Something like, "What have I done!? I released a vicious zombie, and now I can't find the route to the heart. I'll try back tracking."
    Last edited by smithpd; 10th Dec 2018 at 15:54.

Why remove it? The way you did it sounds just as legit as the intended way. Thief is not a game about giving the player only one approach.

OK, fine. I don't really care. I did it two ways. If the speed potion is no longer in inventory, it requires more effort.

Sadly here too:
    when I launch the mission from FMsel - Nothing happens. TheDarkOne93 had the same Problem a few days ago.

I run through McTaffer's checklist as well, with no result. I've donloaded the mission again, also from other available mirrors, the mission still doesn't start. All other TDP20AC-missions start with no Problem. Only this one does not work for me.

Can anybody please give me another tipp how to make the mission work? Thanks in Advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Urumo View Post
    Sadly here too:
    when I launch the mission from FMsel - Nothing happens. [...]
    Very strange... Maybe first of all define "nothing happens" more precisely. It is just black screen after launch? No game sound? itp.
    Last edited by Mat99; 12th Dec 2018 at 07:53. Reason: typo correction

my usual procedure is as follows:
    1) copy desired fm to "archive" Folder in thief 1 Folder
    2) double-click on thief-exe-Icon - FMsel window pops up - select specific fm - click "PlayFM"
    3) screen changes to thief and FM starts

here however, after step 2, thief Icon remains "selected" for a short time, and the desktop-screen remains at it's standard, means, thief dies not start.

I hope this info helps,
    greetings, urumo

PS: my thief-machine has Windows 7 - german; my thief1gold is also german version
    Last edited by Urumo; 11th Dec 2018 at 10:19.

my usual procedure is as follows:
    [...]
    2) double-click on thief-exe-Icon - FMsel window pops up - select specific fm - click "PlayFM"
    [...]
    here however, after step 2, thief Icon remains "selected" for a short time, and the desktop-screen remains at it's standard, means, thief dies not start.
    Hmm... strange behaviour... Try this. Do Your 1) point, and after that, just click mission once, and next do a right-click on it and select "Install" (context menu). Has the mission installed correctly after that? All folder/file structure in "FMs" (or whatever You are use) are present? and have raw/unpacked 23748821 bytes?
    Last edited by Mat99; 12th Dec 2018 at 07:58. Reason: typo correction

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the language version. I have no idea why that would be, but it's the only thing I can think of that's different. Also, I added some clarification to the checklist because I phrased one of the questions in a way that implied you should do something that you should never do. Stinkykitty, do you have anything else to add?

I can't say. The mission is labeled miss19.mis while the other authors are labeled miss20.mis, and that's the only difference I can see. But it should still work unless there's another miss19.mis in your main Thief folder.

Thank you, Mat99, McTaffer & StinkyKitty for your answers.

I did all that you said - still not working.
    Mat99: you said the unpacked size of the mission should be 23'748'821 bytes. My info-box says 23'748'845. Why could that be?

I don't have a mission "miss.19" in the main thief1 folder; so this cannot be the problem. And regarding the language: other missions do work correctly, are they in english or german or whatelse language.

Could it have something to do with the patch? After reading Yandros' intro to Haplo's mission, where he recommends to patch to 1.26a with TFix, I did that and Haplo's mission runs fine, so do all other missions I've launched so far.

The next thing I could try, is to do a fresh new install of thief1.

Thank you all very much for your help,
    greetings,
    urumo

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkOne93 View Post
    When I start the mission from the FM selector, nothing happens. Any advise?
    Could You give us more information and details about Your definition of "nothing happens"? Urumo has similar problem and we are seeking some...hmm... 'points of similarity' or something ;)

Mat99: you said the unpacked size of the mission should be 23'748'821 bytes. My info-box says 23'748'845. Why could that be?
    Hmm... interesting... For my curiosity - try to install this version as it is - just drop 7z file to Your "archive" folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ltq3irgy7...NfRDAOena?dl=0

Ahh yes, this end-bytes difference is fmsel.inf added by FMSel, I probably checked as what it is in package.
    And for McTaffer and StinkyKitty - how the raw archiwe was created? I mean by WinRAR, WinZIP, 7zip, or other package engine?
    Last edited by Mat99; 11th Dec 2018 at 16:32. Reason: Different file destination in my Dropbox

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast