TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TDP20AC Mission — The Scarlet Cascabel (11/30/2018)

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

TDP20AC Mission — The Scarlet Cascabel (11/30/2018)

This thread is for any discussion or questions related to the mission The Scarlet Cascabel by Tannar & PukeyBrunster.
    You can download the mission HERE or HERE.
    The contest thread is HERE.

Please give clues instead of outright solutions when helping others and use the spoiler tag when you do this.

Remember that this mission, and by extension every mission made for the contest, is for THIEF GOLD. As such, do not load it with Thief 2! It is highly recommended you do not use the Enhancement Pack and/or HD texture packs to play this mission. It is also recommended you uncheck all optional features TFix comes with if you update to the latest version of the full executable.

**Please note that Mission 2 has a goal to raise no alarm. It's a good idea to save often and to be careful about hiding bodies. It's best to hide them in darkness away from patrolling AI.

NOTE: Version 1.1 is up now. It fixes only the crash when opening a certain pair of doors that was preventing the player from completing the mission, and the chess pieces that were being destroyed when used on any doors, forcing the player to start over to complete that quest.
    Last edited by Yandros; 1st Dec 2018 at 12:15.

This mission is now available on both host sites. Thanks to Brethren for making all that happen!

Link

Link temporarily unavailable

Love the forest atmosphere and the little forest village with the cypress trees. Very nice!

Could I get a hint as to where to find information about the hotel?

Hey Rob, glad you like the atmosphere. For the info, there is a money box on Wend's desk with a Tunnel Key in it. There is a lever under her desk which opens a secret passage where you can use that key.

mission 2 woooowwww

Wow indeed!

Heads up, in mission 2, be sure not to frob/open an already opened/unlocked door with your quest items "equipped"/showing in your inventory, they will be gone forever. It will "use" to the door and disappear from inventory.

Luckily most can be placed where they go before you make this mistake so I would take trips often to go place them.

In the second mission when I use the can of grease on the door my game crushes everytime. Does somebody know why and how to solve that problem? I read that this can happen when the convict.osm is missing, but I have it.

@ xxblaxx, what version of NewDark are you running? Is this also a fresh install of thief gold, no mods or enhancements?

I installed dark project director's cut. And than used TFix to install the patch, but without anything you can install with it e.g. enhancement etc.

@ gamophyte: Thanks for catching that and warning other players. Sorry we missed that, just a casualty of our time constraints. Luckily this only happens with the chess pieces and they are not needed to complete the mission goals. They are meant to be an entertaining side quest. But to all players, if you want to complete that quest, be careful to use the chess pieces only on the chess board.

@ xx Bla xx: We're sorry for that. One tester had that happen during testing but no one else did. And we thought we had that issue fixed. If you will send us a save game we will open the doors for you and send it back. If you need instructions for that, just ask.

Did the tester had further problems of that kind? And I would prefer a solution for that problem, not just a savegame with an open door. After all, this could happen in other FMs too.

That's just annoying. It took me already 3 hours to get Thief 1 started.

No, there are no other issues of that type, and it's very unlikely that the problem is in your setup. We believe the problem lies with those doors. We would be happy to provide a fix if we had one, but we are unsure what is causing it, and any fix would require fixing the issue in dromed. I'm afraid the only suggestion I have is to let us open the doors for you. We can just unlock them, and you can go through them when you like.

Ok, than could you send me a savegame with an open door? Preferably on expert? If the problem really lies in the fm I'm fine with that.

Oh I'm rellay looking forward to the rest of the mission. This is a great one.

Actually, you should save your game where you are and send it to us. This way it will be your own game with the equipment you chose and all the progress you've made already.

If you are using FM Sel or (I think) New Darkloader to load the mission, the easiest way is to just do a quick save where you are, then go into your Thief folder and look for a subfolder called FMs. Inside that folder you should see another subfolder with the Scarlet Cascabel title. Inside that folder is a saves folder and in there will be a file called quick.sav. Just send us that file. You can send it via email to tannar at ttlg.com (for my email address use the usual @ symbol and no spaces, or course).

I'll just unlock those doors and send it back and you can pick up where you left off.

I also have the issue as well, when I use the grease on the doors the game freezes and I need to kill the process.

Go ahead and send me a save as well. We'll unlock the doors and send it back.

Well I mean I'm just reporting the issue as indeed being a bug. I don't mind waiting for a Dromed fix to the issue. I'm playing Thief Gold with NewDark 1.26, by the way. Mission 1 was pretty interesting though, not just the visuals but also some of the little details for example the death trap in the water near the beginning which is marked with the little wooden warning signs and various things throughout.

mission 1 wow i love it,but in mission 2 i got same problem as bla when i use the grease can on door game crashes/tryed it twice same results,i have latest updates,never used a mod,sad cause this is such a great mission,hope to see a patch down the road

over all great job on missions

my advice on fixing mission is to seperate the second mission and rerelease it with fix keeping the first part in tact as that mission was beautiful

Creating a fix for the second mission has been approved by skacky, and I imagine the authors will be releasing a patch within a day or two. It will contain no changes aside from fixes for this bug and the other one reported where important objects can disappear when used on doors. If the exact cause of the crash were known, a DML might work, but that's not the case here.

Well you see somethings happen other than the door opening, if that factors in. Also are these people who dropped in newdark, or did they use tfix. Also the windows components that newdark needs may need exactly what they ask for, not newer equivalents. Just some thoughts.

before contest i got latest tfix and new dark to play it safe,i still have 2 missions left to play the rest worked fine

so if i had to guess its mission and not my set up,unless pos comps cant run that part in mission 2

Thank you for the entry, Marzec! We'll send you a screenshot.

Thank you for posting that, Yandros. Yes, we are working on a fix for mission 2. We'll let you know when we have it working and tested.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast