TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will there be a Thief 2 20th anniversary contest?

Will there be a Thief 2 20th anniversary contest?

I know it's a little early (or really early) to be talking about the possibility of one but I was really curious. I'm wondering if it's already in the works or if it wasn't thought of yet?

I'm still a little let down I didn't get to submit a mission to the TDP contest so now I'm really anxious to see if there will be a T2 contest

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Yes, it has been discussed. Yes, it is likely to happen. However the launch will have to be just after the voting period for this contest is over to give a full year before the 20th anniversary of Thief 2, so there may be some burnout. I for one will not participate as I am already working on another large project and don't want to lose another year on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Yes, it has been discussed. Yes, it is likely to happen. However the launch will have to be just after the voting period for this contest is over to give a full year before the 20th anniversary of Thief 2, so there may be some burnout. I for one will not participate as I am already working on another large project and don't want to lose another year on it.
    That's great thanks for the quick response

I can see how it will make things slower seeing as there's so many missions to play (although that's not a bad thing ) and so many people worked on missions so the turnout might not be as big for Thief 2's contest.

Nonetheless I'm excited and really glad to hear I'll have a second chance at things

I hope so. It is in two years ...
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

Not two years, it's one year from the end of this contest, Mar 2020.

i.e year and a half-ish ;p

I would participate with a long term base construction.

February 29, 2000 was the release of T2.

I assume the same "one year" time constraint would apply? So you would have to start building your submission next March?

Imo a nice way of ending the Thief 1 contest mission would be by obviously announcing the winner, runner ups, scores, comments etc., but then kicking off the Thief 2 contest immediately afterwards... Timing fits perfectly, and I guess people are currently busy playing the current contest missions... Would be a shame to take focus away from that one by already kicking off a Thief 2 contest before it finishes.
    Last edited by Tommyph1208; 11th Dec 2018 at 04:36.

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
    February 29, 2000 was the release of T2.
    Really? That will make Thief 2 only 5 years old in 2020.

Took me a second to get the joke!

Quote Originally Posted by trefoilknot View Post
    Took me a second to get the joke!
    Please explain for brainlets like me

Thief 2 was released in a 2000 - in a leap year.

A Thief 2 Contest? What about a 64x64x64 Cube Contest? I have the same problem with big Projects and i lost 1 Year on the Thief 1 Contest with big breaks. i am busy working on PD and after this Soul of the Gems. My plan is to release 3 More Thief 2 FMs in the next 2 Years. The Private Life is also busy with my little daughter. I think a small contest will be a fresh Wind for some here.

Some contests I'd love to see in the next 100 years:

Pagan/Countryside/Forest Contest
    Seasons/Weather Contest
    Hammerite/Mechanist Contest
    Dewdrop Contest
    Last edited by Aemanyl; 6th Dec 2018 at 14:37.

I realize a smaller, shorter contest would be a welcome break but we don't really get to decide when the 20th anniversary of Thief 2 is.

I realize a smaller, shorter contest would be a welcome break but we don't really get to decide when the 20th anniversary of Thief 2 is.
    Sir Yandros, we need to invent the time machine and delay the release of Thief 2 for at least one year.
    And whilst we are in 2000, we could somehow prevent LGS from being closed down.

Daily Aemanyl cringe.

in 2024 thief 3 is 20 years old also :P

We definitely have plans for a Thief 2 20th Anniversary contest, but we're not exactly sure how it'll be. We may throw a poll a month before the contest launches so people could tell us what they'd like to see (e.g. stock resources like this one or anything goes).

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    We definitely have plans for a Thief 2 20th Anniversary contest, but we're not exactly sure how it'll be. We may throw a poll a month before the contest launches so people could tell us what they'd like to see (e.g. stock resources like this one or anything goes).
    Im big fan of stock resources for anni contest. It's really fun having some limitations, and well, I can make fm with custom stuff anyday.

But I would like to be able to alter existing textures by for example changing its colour to add variety, or mixing 2 existing textures together in some way.

I can think of at least one idea for a contest that's been brought up before that might fit in the interim, and wouldn't likely interrupt people's workflows too much:

This could be the perfect time for the Total Crap Contest V2. I remember the possibility being discussed at least once, and the guidelines for such a contest would be loose enough not to stress anyone out too much. Building the worst pile of trash conceivable could be the perfect stress reliever after many of us have spent a lot of time trying to build the best possible mission. If there's enough interest I'd be happy to try organizing such a thing, despite my general lack of experience. I'd be surprised if no one at all was interested; after all, the original contest had 21 entries.

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    Quote Originally Posted by mtk View Post
    But I would like to be able to alter existing textures by for example changing its colour to add variety, or mixing 2 existing textures together in some way.
    That was allowed for this contest, and I think we should keep it that way : limit the custom content to stock derivatives, not only for textures but also with models this time.
    This stock limit allowed for creativity and ingenuity, and that's what makes this contest so interesting.

Yeah it's mind spinning to hear of this. I could have guessed but it's too much awesome to deal with lol.

The current work I'm doing is teaching me a lot of new things. It would be good to make a small warehouse mission for T2 contest, being that, by then I should be able to make some new from the ground up bot AIs for the player to encounter. I already had one I was working on for my slow-along city mission. A very interesting civil bot that does a interesting thing to being spotted.

Synopses: Garrett has a dream where the Mechanists are in full power in a metal laden city, and there is way too much security. Poof, it was all a dream. Garrett is informed that a warehouse, highly locked down, has nearly unstoppable metal beasts created by what's left of the most militant of the last of the Mechanists. He must infiltrate with the help of victoria's associates to destroy the new bots.

Edit: Hrm this sounds like a FM I've already played haha.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast