TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AngelLoader: New mission loader by Fen (WIP)

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

AngelLoader: New mission loader by Fen (WIP)

For those of you who do not follow Fen Phoenix on YouTube, you probably missed his announcement a few days ago showing off AngelLoader, the new FM loader he has created, comparing it to both FMSel and NewDarkLoader.

I like this. I've been testing a number of these loaders and they all have their pros and cons. Does it support missions compressed with Igor Pavlov's 7-zip? Where may I download this from?

Thank you, Yandros!

[EDIT] I couldn't locate it through the links on his video site.
    Last edited by Goethe's Ghost; 4th Dec 2018 at 12:26.

Wow, that's awesome. I think I just found my new FM loader!

I hope he implements the small picture authors could put in there like Garrettloader used to use!

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Goethe's Ghost View Post
    Where may I download this from?
    He has not released it yet.

Looks fantastic, thanks Fen!

Looks great so far!

Fen, if you're reading, I have a small feature request. Good ol' DarkLoader provided more robust comment handling than its successors. It gave you a discrete text field that made it easy to compose, edit and read your thoughts on an FM. I'd love to see that in a NewDark-friendly mission loader.

Also, I'd love it if it could properly load either Thief 1 or Thief 2 missions from the same screen. Maybe it's a small thing, but I miss how DarkLoader was a separate app I could tab out to, or that operated as your one place to go to survey all missions before entering either Thief 1 or Thief 2 missions.

Sorry... just dropping wishes while you're still in development.

FenLoader? ND-FenLoader? FenUltimateLoader?

Startship Fenterprise? Fentral Intelligence Agency? ...

After my last post, I noticed he talked about my second point in a development update released yesterday:

Towards the end of the video he discusses whether or not to make the loader be a separate app that handles all three Thief games at the same time. Kind of like DarkLoader, but with TDS missions also integrated.

Fen, if you're reading, DO IT.

I'm curious what other people think. I'd much prefer have all my FMs available from a single loaded application, rather than have separate, discrete installations of the loader for each game and its FMs. Just click on the loader, survey all my FMs for all three games, pick one and play.

I also loved how I could alt-tab out to DarkLoader to add comments as I played.

So a separate, single app for all three sets of FMs would be great. At least I think so. What do you all think?

Quote Originally Posted by Goethe's Ghost View Post
    I like this. I've been testing a number of these loaders and they all have their pros and cons. Does it support missions compressed with Igor Pavlov's 7-zip? Where may I download this from?
    [EDIT] I couldn't locate it through the links on his video site.
    I would hope no one is compressing their FM's with anything other than zip. It will create a ton of issues, and what's the point of doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Goethe's Ghost
    Does it support missions compressed with Igor Pavlov's 7-zip?
    Quote Originally Posted by Azaran
    I would hope no one is compressing their FM's with anything other than zip. It will create a ton of issues, and what's the point of doing it?
    AngelLoader does support 7-zip files, yes. So does NewDarkLoader, as far as I know, and given that NewDark itself comes with 7z.dll I'm guessing FMSel does too (but haven't tested). There are no issues with them functionally, but they do tend to be slower to extract and are vastly slower to scan (AngelLoader falls back to The Slow Method(tm) of scanning for .7z files for technical reasons), so I would recommend authors simply use regular zip format. However, again, AngelLoader will handle 7-zip files perfectly fine if it happens to come across any.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist
    Fen, if you're reading, I have a small feature request. Good ol' DarkLoader provided more robust comment handling than its successors. It gave you a discrete text field that made it easy to compose, edit and read your thoughts on an FM. I'd love to see that in a NewDark-friendly mission loader.
    Noted, I'll have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    I'm curious what other people think. I'd much prefer have all my FMs available from a single loaded application, rather than have separate, discrete installations of the loader for each game and its FMs. Just click on the loader, survey all my FMs for all three games, pick one and play.

I also loved how I could alt-tab out to DarkLoader to add comments as I played.

So a separate, single app for all three sets of FMs would be great. At least I think so. What do you all think?
    Yes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    Towards the end of the video he discusses whether or not to make the loader be a separate app that handles all three Thief games at the same time. Kind of like DarkLoader, but with TDS missions also integrated.
    So, if T3 missions will be added, I want TheDarkMod Missions too ;PP ;))
    All in one. It would be Fen...tastic ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Mat99 View Post
    So, if T3 missions will be added, I want TheDarkMod Missions too ;PP )
    All in one. It would be Fen...tastic
    Darkmod has its own loader built right into it

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    Yes, but list with metadata is more important at this case, than load the mission :)

Then it's settled. I've started converting it to full-standalone as my next task.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat99
    So, if T3 missions will be added, I want TheDarkMod Missions too ;PP )
    All in one. It would be Fen...tastic
    Yeah, it has its whole own thing. Sure it isn't perfect, but it isn't really designed for external loaders and it's enough of a workload to support the Thief stuff right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat99 View Post
    Yes, but list with metadata is more important at this case, than load the mission
    This is something they should definitely add to the TDM mission list, options for comments, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by FenPhoenix View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mat99
    So, if T3 missions will be added, I want TheDarkMod Missions too ;PP ;))
    All in one. It would be Fen...tastic ;)
    Yeah, it has its whole own thing [...]

I mean the list in FenLoader ONLY to receive metadata (versions, authors, itd) from TDM *.zip/*.7zip files.
    But there is no rush or coercion, at least T1, T2 & T3 would be great :)

I'll look into it when everything else seems stable and settled-down. Knowing me, I'll end up wanting something to do.

This really sounds like great stuff, Fen. I look forward to testing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by FenPhoenix View Post
    I'll look into it when everything else seems stable and settled-down. Knowing me, I'll end up wanting something to do.
    I'll be very happy with Thief 1, 2 and 3 all in one loader I can easily alt-tab to update comments. But yeah, if at some point you could make it a one-stop shop for all four sets of FMs in the Tafferverse, that'd be pretty amazing.

One thing I have missed since darkloder is several paths for the fan missions. I hope for that in AngelLoader

That's in the plan, despite how scary it is.

Have you ever considered having the FM's in separate tabs for their respective games? Rather than scroll a list of all games in one massive vertical list.

Sorta like this (Top left)

I've been thinking the same thing. That's in my notes too.

Thanks for posting this Russ. I'm following Fen on YouTube but I didn't get this as a recommended video like other new videos.

While I like the idea of separate tabs for different games, I'd only want that feature if I can also choose to have them all in one listing, too.

This is because I'd love to sort or filter by things like author or tag (theme: City missions, etc.), regardless of the game. So if I want to quickly list all missions by Melan, who has missions in Thief 1, 2 and TDM, I could do that.

A compromise might be to have checkboxes that auto filter missions from each game... or something like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast