TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The new Epic Games store, with only 12% commission

They have operating costs; I'd imagine that this is how they justify not paying nor accumulating the small sums over time. Whether their operating costs really amount to however well your game sold and what your cut would be, I can't say, but in principle it's a sound argument.

Southquarter.com/fms
    With electronic payments these days, I don't see how it's a big deal forwarding small amounts to people. On Paypal, you can cash out at any time, no matter the amount. Make the request online, and they transfer the money immediately.

@icemann - And I still don't get how you can sell 150 copies of your game at $5 - totaling $750 - and not get a dime of it. That's robbery. Even with Steam's cut, they should be sending you a check for $525, rigtht?

But no, what Icemann is saying is that they stole his money rather than paying it.

The Steam FAQ says that they just hold the money until they have more than $100 to pay out, the same as Epic do. It doesn't say anything about them stealing that money if you don't earn enough in a month.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Here's what I saw in the FAQ, same as you NV:

Q. Is there a minimum revenue I must earn before I can receive a payment?
    A. Yes. There are costs associated with issuing each individual payment as well as potential bank fees charged to you upon receiving money that make it prohibitive to pay out for small amounts of money. Therefore, we may hold your payment until a minimum of $100 payout is earned.
    To me that says, once your balance (minus Steam's fees, of course) gets above $100, they will transfer the money. There's nothing remotely close to saying "your balance resets to zero in a month if you don't earn $100." They use the term "hold your payment" which seems to indicate they're saving it, not erasing it. But maybe Icemann can clear this up.

I've not been watching my bank account so it is possible that they paid me and never informed me. The only emails I've received so far were all about the sales not hitting the threshold.

But of those 150+ sales, I think it was 80 or 90 were straight away when it went up for sale but then as I had it discounted on release week, the total for it was lower.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

They've got exclusive early access for Supermassive's (Bastion, Transistor, Pyre) new game, Hades. Also a PC port of Journey.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-U...uct/hades/home
    https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-U...t/journey/home

And after looking at my Steam sales stats:

Lifetime Steam revenue (gross) - $348 (gross revenue, includes VAT, DLC and any bundles)
    Lifetime Steam units - 154
    Lifetime Retail units - 2,702 (Steamworks retail activations)
    Lifetime total units - 2,856

Of that I received only $113.64. Chasing this one up with Steam/Valve's financial people to see what happened.

Found records on Steamworks for payments made. Could only look back in bank account for the current and previous financial year. So can't see anything from prior. Apparently they only paid me during the first year it was up for sale, which leaves $256 outstanding. Well over their payment threshold. In their FAQ it doesn't say anything about things resetting after a month, so I could have been wrong there. Was just assuming, since I'd not received any payments in ages.

Honestly it's not that big of a deal to me, as getting Bipolar up on Steam scored me my teaching job at the university which has netted me QUITE A BIT more than any of that in the 3 years I've been doing that + it's kept me motivated to keep doing games dev work, well and truly beyond the span that any of my other uni friends kept doing games dev work for. So in that I'm 100% happy with things. Games dev is more a hobby now, with teaching being the priority, versus games dev being the priority prior to taking up teaching. At the same time though, I'm chasing this one up more on principle than anything. I make more in a month from my online business and teaching than anything from Bipolar.

For me, having one of my games make it to Steam was the holy grail. And I have that now, so I'm happy just with that. For CrossTrix though, VERY different story. I'd like to make some money. When you've moved out of your parents place and have a mortgage to pay. Every bit helps.
    Last edited by icemann; 7th Dec 2018 at 12:00.

Supergiant Games is remarkably prolific for a small independent studio. (Eva meant Supergiant, not Supermassive.)

Worth noting: Subnautica will be free on the Epic Games store from Dec 14th to Dec 27th.

Cripes, really? That's a bit surprising (free Subnautica). Remind me to pick that up.

Now Discord have announced that their game store will move to a 90/10% cut.

https://twitter.com/discordapp/statu...06080188637189

Mmm. Competition. Yummy delicious competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Cripes, really? That's a bit surprising (free Subnautica). Remind me to pick that up.
    Game is available for free now and until the 27th.

Requires the launcher to install. Can be run without the launcher.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Satisfactory, from the Goat Simulator dev, after refunds they only SOLD NINE COPIES. This is the price you pay for being a nobody indie developer and deciding to forgo the most popular distribution platform on PC.

Wow

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/the-l...c-games-store/ says "Of course we should also note that the game is in Early Access".

So this is a game that isn't actually finished.

Apparently we've reached a point where people not spending their money on explicitly-unfinished games is cause for public complaint?

Maybe if there were more goats...

There is no way that game sold only 9 copies and even if it did, Epic apparently guarantees a minimum number of copies sold as part of their exclusivity deal. They are either lying or simply trolling. And you know how easily triggered the gamergate types are.

In any case, they have already nearly doubled their sales: https://twitter.com/SatisfactoryAF/s...43989061308422

I definitely wouldn't trust handing over any personal information to Epic, let alone spend any money in their store at this stage due to legacy security issues. As I want to complete the final season of The Walking Dead, I recently tried to sign up for an Epic account but was unable to as someone had already used my email address to set up a bogus account -- purported to belong to someone in Thailand; the same credentials have apparently been used to set up multitudes of fake accounts -- as Epic has only recently added email verification to their account creation process. As a security protection I've since reset the password and added 2 factor authentication to my account (they've only recently added this as well) but have no intention of using their service at this stage given that security was so poorly thought out, I doubt their system has had enough time to sufficiently mature.

As a side note, I've since purchase the final season on the PS4 (Sony also had very poor security 6 or 7 years ago, quickly put in some measures after a major hack and shortly suffered another major hack shortly after). Playing this title on the big screen is actually a much better experience anyway due to the vastly improved graphics compared with the previous seasons (although the final frontier also looked quite good, apart from the animations).

Moderator and Priest
    That was me, Twisty. Sorry.

I agree with Twisty, I set up an Epic account to try out fortnite last year(dont judge me), and recieved numerous email warnings about attempts to login with my credentials, until they added 2-factor. No way I am giving them my credit card details.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    That was me, Twisty. Sorry.
    Ah, I was wondering why there were so many attempts made to try and buy cheap animé games.

Moderator and Priest
    Well, yeah. Like I'd buy Sulphur Chakat games using my real credentials.

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    I agree with Twisty, I set up an Epic account to try out fortnite last year(dont judge me), and recieved numerous email warnings about attempts to login with my credentials, until they added 2-factor. No way I am giving them my credit card details.
    I've been lucky thus far. I've had an Epic account for a couple-three years or so now, mostly for UE4 (and yeah, I used it to play Fortnite too here a few months back). I haven't receieved any warnings about any potential breaches in the security of my account as of yet, but from the horror stories I've been reading, I'm pretty reticent about handing over all my important details to them.

For now, the Epic Game Store is a great place to play the occasional free game I grab during one of their giveaways.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 28th Apr 2019 at 01:33.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Well, yeah. Like I'd buy Sulphur Chakat games using my real credentials.
    Wait. You've been holding out on me!?

AND TO THINK I TRUSTED YOUR HINKY ASS >:/

Moderator and Priest
    Sure. Feign innocence, Sulp.

I haven't had any problems either, and I've had the Epic account since UE4 launched.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Only problem I have with the Epic Game Store is that I'm TOO POPULAR there. 98 Friend requests, and I don't know any of them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast