TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new Epic Games store, with only 12% commission

The new Epic Games store, with only 12% commission

Epic Games have just announced that they are launching a new game store, which will only charge a 12% commission (as opposed to the 30% pretty much all the other game stores charge).

It will sell games made in any engine, though Epic will also waive the 5% commission for using Unreal Engine for any games sold on their store.

The announcement is here:
    https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/b...ic-games-store

There were rumours that this was coming, but it's nice to see Epic live up to what CEO Tim Sweeney said a while back, when he said that he felt the 30% charged by storefronts is far too much for what they provide.

Sounds like it will all have a curated set of games, which might help high-quality indie games get exposure without having to get through the deluge of low-quality games that are being released on Steam these days.

As someone who hopes to finish and sell games at some point, I'm glad to see some competition for Steam and GOG, which will hopefully drive down the cut that they take.

As a player, I'm not that keen on needing even more game launchers - though at least in my case I already have the Epic Launcher for UE4.

Hopefully it'll have the first Gears of War at a discount price.

Chakat sex pillow
    You can get GoW1 Ultimate on the Windows marketplace, and it usually gets a sale price markup along with its Xbone counterpart at the usual times of year. It's great to look at but unusually demanding on the CPU because they retooled the UE3 engine to stream those high-res textures instead of moving the entire codebase to UE4. UE3 texture streaming was always a well-documented issue but, well, at least you can't say they didn't strive for authenticity here. Make sure you have the CPU+GPU grunt if you do try it out.

Anyway, with this news it looks like Steam may finally get some serious competition. Though, having said that, if Steam does go belly up someday I'm gonna be so pissed about potentially losing my game library. The expectation was always that, like most owned assets, I'd be able to hand my digital storefront collection down to my descendants through the eons, and if Valve's business model renders them unable to fulfill this most basic of requirements then they deserve to go out of business.

...right, moving on from self-defeating arguments with myself. More competition = win for the customers.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 4th Dec 2018 at 16:20.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Anyway, with this news it looks like Steam may finally get some serious competition. Though, having said that, if Steam does go belly up someday I'm gonna be so pissed about potentially losing my game library.
    It's a good point, I'd be pretty devastated if Steam went the way of MySpace some day and I lost every game I've bought in the past 10 years. People always say that could never happen, but you can't really say that for certain these days.

This does sound good, but it's already annoying enough that my digital game library is split in two places: Steam and GOG.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Only TWO places? HAH, lightweight!

I've got my digital games library split across Steam, GOG, Origin, uPlay, Windows Store, Oculus Store, the Epic Launcher, Humble and itch.io. And that's just the PC ones, of course.

Mine are Steam and Battlenet. Well, Steam, Battlenet, and my file drawer. But I like Steam enough that if I can get something from my drawer on Steam for a buck or so, I will.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Only TWO places? HAH, lightweight!

I've got my digital games library split across Steam, GOG, Origin, uPlay, Windows Store, Oculus Store, the Epic Launcher, Humble and itch.io. And that's just the PC ones, of course.
    Heh, I know. I do have a few games on uPlay (Assassin's Creed and Prince of Persia games probably) and I remember having to install Origin for some reason in the past, so I must have got some game(s) there as well, but right now I haven't even got either launcher installed. I didn't even think about Humble actually, I've got loads of games there, but it's more like a storage for your Steam keys, isn't it? I also didn't realise that the Epic Launcher is a thing already.

But yeah, it'll be great if Steam gets some proper competition. I do feel a little bad about wanting to have all my games on Steam and helping them to get a monopoly status, but it's just so convenient to have everything in the same place. Not just games, but reviews, screenshots, friends . GOG has come a long way too and now that GOG Galaxy isn't a horrible mess anymore, I've started expanding my GOG library too. GOG Connect is a beautiful thing, it's just a shame that it's been quiet on that front for a long time now. And from what I've heard, Origin and uPlay aren't too bad anymore either...

Hot on the heels of Valve doing something similar on Steam.

If your game sells more than $10M total (including DLC, martket place fees, etc.) you get 75% of the revenue above $10M. And if you get to $50M you get 80% of the revenue past that. I'm sure that's going to benefit a lot of ... Sorry, can't finish that sentence without laughing.

One really good thing in that Steam announcement:
    We’ve also made a change to the agreement regarding confidentiality of your sales data. We frequently get questions from partners who want to talk with other developers\third parties or publicly about the sales of their games on Steam. We've heard you, and we're updating the confidentiality provisions to make it clear that the partner can share sales data about their game as they see fit.

Yes, that Steam announcement was a real joke.
    Reduce the cut for the huge companies who can afford it, while letting indies and small studios who need every penny still pay the full 30%.

It's a very blatant attempt to try and stop the big studios from just opening their own storefronts and giving Valve 0%.

It's a discount based on volume, which is a pretty standard pricing strategy in most markets. It's logical too. The only surprise to me is how long it took to get here.

Is it volume, or dollars? For example something like Stardew Valley sold a huge amount but at quite a low price point, whereas a AAA game priced much higher would obviously be more money even if it sold less.

Dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    The only surprise to me is how long it took to get here.
    Heh, yeah. If the goal was to keep the large publishers, well, they're a bit late, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    Is it volume, or dollars? For example something like Stardew Valley sold a huge amount but at quite a low price point, whereas a AAA game priced much higher would obviously be more money even if it sold less.
    It's based on $ value, but for all content related to a single title. DLC, Season Pass, Market Place stuff (Hats, Trading Cards, whatever), ingame purchases that use the Steam store and whatever else you can think of.

The annoying bit is that you need to get sales above a certain threshold before they even send you any of your profit. So I've barely seen any of the profit from Bipolar. I did better from the two bundles I took part in. Both of those got me some decent cash .

By decent it was only in the hundreds, but that was far better than the $$$ I've got elsewhere so far. Hoping CrossTrix does better once I get it on there. Not having to go through Greenlight has it's positives, though having to pay to get it on there is annoying.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    The annoying bit is that you need to get sales above a certain threshold before they even send you any of your profit.
    I don't quite understand how this stuff works. What do you mean by threshold? If you sell for example, 100 copies at $5, totaling $500, aren't you still getting $350 of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I don't quite understand how this stuff works. What do you mean by threshold? If you sell for example, 100 copies at $5, totaling $500, aren't you still getting $350 of that?
    It's more like, if you sell 20 copies for $5 each, you would have gotten $70, but Valve doesn't want to pay out such a small sum. 100 copies sold on Steam is actually a lot for most titles from hobby developers.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    Hopefully it'll have the first Gears of War at a discount price.
    MS own the IP, not Epic.

Yeah, Steam won't make a payment of less than $100.

Epic are the same, at least so far as their Unreal Engine Marketplace goes.

If they owe you more than $100 at the end of the month, they will pay you 45 days later.
    If they owe you less than $100, it will roll over until the next month.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    MS own the IP, not Epic.
    Dang. And based on what Sulphur said, sounds like I'll just have to dust off my old Xbox if I want to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    It's more like, if you sell 20 copies for $5 each, you would have gotten $70, but Valve doesn't want to pay out such a small sum. 100 copies sold on Steam is actually a lot for most titles from hobby developers.
    This. Answers brethren's question. Its Valve/Steam saying its too little to send back, so they keep it all. And if you sell more later you again have that threshold from scratch.

Bipolar's had (so far) 150 something sales directly from Steam. I've not received a dollar of that.

In comparison both bundles combined netted me roughly 1k (something like 5,000+ sales there). Big difference. Still over the moon to even have a game on there regardless. Unlike now where you just pay to get on there, was a real pain to make it on.

Is that even legal, keeping the money like that? I guess it would be in the terms and conditions.

Wait, they won't pay you even if the total sum they owe you is no longer a small sum?
    How on earth can they get away with that?

I could understand them not wanting to pay you if they only owe you a very small amount of money, but they should give you that the next month, not... apparently keep it forever?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast