TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Best Games of 2018

In all honesty, this year has been the least memorable for me in a very long time. There are a lot of good games out there, but in five years time I don't think I'd find it easy to point to 2018 and list anything much that really stood out. Kingdom Come is all I can think of, but there should be more. Perhaps everything that I would be enjoying is in deep development at the same time, and it's all going to come along at the same time two years from now.

Saying that, I just bought The Blackout Club by the same guys who made The Magic Circle. Even though it's only 20% off and recently into early access, it's got decent reviews, but it's a 1-4 player co-op adventure/horror. I know next to nothing about it and want to go in blind, but it would be nice to try it out multiplayer first. Anyone else feel like giving it a go?

Chakat sex pillow
    I've got my eye on it, but early access usually makes me wary. I'm willing to give it a go if we get enough people on board, though, sure.

Most of the games I liked best that came out in 2018 were on PS4. All in all, though, I'm finding that the games I enjoy most have become more varied, in terms of platform, style, length. I might remember Florence on iPad as fondly as Red Dead Redemption 2 on PS4 and Prey on PC (yesIknowitcameoutin2017shuddup), even though the games couldn't be more different.

Re: Blackout Club: if we can get the people together, I could imagine giving it a try. Would this be something for the occasional Coop Saturday?

Chakat sex pillow
    Yeah, I'd include Florence on my list of wonderful games this year too, but with the reservation that it's more of a thoughtfully constructed story that uses game-like interactivity for its visual storytelling - but very poignantly so.

I'm fairly sure if I had a PS4 I'd sling Spiderman (I've never used the hyphen and by god I am not going to start now), God of War of Us, and the SotC facelift-me-do on the list too. I recognise this as a problem that's specific to me, but RDR2 wouldn't make my hypothetical list even if it were on PC: apart from Houser's brand of storytelling nihilism that's usually woven into the fabric of the games, I've never escaped in-game ennui in any of R*'s open-worldathons, so I doubt I'd mention them in any capacity except for the massive graphical achievements they always are.

edit: sign me up for The Blackout Club tryouts, but not for next week because I'm most probably going to be away.

For what it's worth, I'm in chapter 3 of RDR2, and I have to say that so far I've not spotted any of the Houser nihilism. Even when the game makes fun of characters, it still succeeds pretty well at humanising them. There's at least one storyline that I could imagine ending on a "Haha!" punchline, but at the moment the game is doing a good job at steering away from this. There's also something about Rockstar's worlds that for me always made them so much more enjoyable to just inhabit than all of Ubisoft's open worlds - and I'm saying that as someone who's still bought most of all the Assassin's Creed and many of the Far Cry games.

And re: The Blackout Club and our Saturday sessions in general, I might be around on 5 January, but my attendance in January will be a bit patchy. (The friendly fire of Arma may have to wait until February.) But yes, I'd be up for some The Blackout Club when I'm around, also since Neb was one of the original Arma Saturdays regulars. If the current gang is The Next Generation, Neb was the Bones or the Spock of the original crew.

Chakat sex pillow
    That's heartening to hear. Part of the problem I have is the lack of signifiers of a basic level of human depth beyond smirking/pompous/tragic/sardonic/psychopath. I hear what you're saying about their environments, they're constructed in a fashion that's always enjoyable to explore whilst giving you a set of compelling things to do without overwhelming you. It's a balance that Ubisoft often misses.

Oh, and if we're the Next Generation crew, Jesh is Wesley and henke is Worf, right?

Oh, I think that henke is a very merry Finn. Though I fondly remember that Arma session where Jesh was condemned to death for stepping in the grass. Which is, like, every Arma session.

The award for "best game I played at the last minute" goes to Lucid Dream. It was such a delight to play and I mention it here not only because it was the only game I played, but because it really was one of the best games I played in 2018.

The only 2018 release I played this year was the new source port version of System Shock Enhanced. I was feeling bad about that, but judging from the responses in this thread, it looks like I'm not the only one who was a bit underwhelmed by the 2018 crop. I'm due to upgrade my video card and there was nothing "must play" to make me do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    And re: The Blackout Club and our Saturday sessions in general, I might be around on 5 January, but my attendance in January will be a bit patchy. (The friendly fire of Arma may have to wait until February.) But yes, I'd be up for some The Blackout Club when I'm around, also since Neb was one of the original Arma Saturdays regulars. If the current gang is The Next Generation, Neb was the Bones or the Spock of the original crew.
    I'm definitely up for this if you're around on Saturday.

I just got The Blackout Club and should be around for an hour or two on Saturday afternoon. When would be best? Would 3pm or 4pm UK time be okay? Who else is in?

Level 10,000 achieved
    I

AM

not in.

But I look forward to hearing what you think of the game.

If anyone wants to snap up Golf For Workgroups for 2,50 tho I'd be happy to play a few rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    When would be best? Would 3pm or 4pm UK time be okay?
    Either of those is fine for me. Whatever works best.

Level 10,000 achieved
    FINAL 2018 STATS for: HENKE DA GAMER

Last year I finished 36 games and then Zerker one-upped me by finishing 47. I've stepped up my game this year(and also kept closer track of played games) and the final tally is.... 42!

Games finished, in order:
    Arizona Sunshine
    Scanner Sombre
    Rise of the Tomb Raider
    Rime
    Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
    Sprint Vector
    Into The Breach
    Golf Story
    Spintires: Mudrunner
    Far Cry 5
    The Invisible Hours
    Snake Pass
    Desert Golfing
    Celeste
    Undertale
    Train Valley
    Picross S
    Far: Lone Sails
    Minit
    Ruiner
    Jalopy
    Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
    Mass Effect: Andromeda
    Holedown
    Dishonored 2
    Budget Cuts
    Distance
    Florence
    Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
    Headliner: Novinews (Beta)
    Creed: Rise To Glory
    Moss
    Picross S2
    Sniper Elite 4
    Red Matter
    Arktika.1
    Steel Rats
    Fade To Black
    Kathy Rain
    Valkyria Chronicles 4
    Iconoclasts
    Paratopic

Longest game was Desert Golfing with an estimated 150 hours, shortest was probably Florence or Paratopic at ~45min. Overwhelmingly 2017-2018 releases, plus a few from 2014-2016, and one from 1995.

FINAL VERDICT: YEAR WELL SPENT!

Impressive list, henke!

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    Either of those is fine for me. Whatever works best.
    Let's go for 4pm UK time then. There's a slim chance I may have to bow out (my dad-in-law is ill and we may have to go see him), but I'd let you know if that happens.

Wow. Thats quite a large amount of games you got through.

I picked up Cultist Simulator in GoG's Winter Sale, and I think it definitely belongs on my list of titles from 2018 I can recommend others try out.

So that makes my current "Good titles of 2018" list (in alphabetical order):

Cultist Simulator
    Dead Cells
    DRAGON BALL FighterZ

Two 2018 titles that don't make the list are:

Subnautica - It needs a bunch of mods to be worth about half the asking price for me
    Forged Battallion - The devs jumped ship on this before it left Early Access to work on a Conan RTS, which they apparently put on the back burner the second they were allowed to work on C&C Remastered...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123