TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Best Games of 2018

Level 10,000 achieved

The Best Games of 2018

Look, we all played a bunch of new games this year. But which ones were THE BEST ONES, and IN WHAT ORDER? This is important stuff and we need to figure it out. Time to write some LISTS!

(and make videos, if you're an overdoer like me)

My Top 10:

10. FAR: Lone Sails (PC)
    A journey across a wasteland in a big unweildy piece of machinery. Very much my kinda thing.

9. Wreckfest (PC)
    The finest rammin' and slammin' of the year!

8. Into The Breach (PC)
    Subset Games' latest is a very innovative slice of turn based gaming, but somehow it feels more impressive than enjoyable.

7. Forza Horizon 4 (PC)
    This is simply a joy to play, whadaya want me to say? It was designed to be Car Heaven, and it is.

6. Sprint Vector (PC, VR)
    It's been a good year for racing games but Survios' first person on-foot kart racer took the cake. The innovative movement system that means even a nausea-prone weakling like myself could run and jump at blistering speeds without a worry is remarkable on it's own, but on top of that it's a very fun and surprisingly deep racing game.

5. Far Cry 5 (PC)
    If it weren't for RDR2, this would be my open world action game of the year. FC5 built on the previous entries and borrowed elements from other series as well. The buddy system may have spawned in FC2 but the one here reminds me more of MGS5. Driving around with my army buddies and taking over enemy camps was a blast. The story may be a load of nonsense, but the gameplay is pure bliss, and Dan Romer provided the best soundtrack of the year.

4. Valkyria Chronicles 4 (Switch)
    What the Valkyria games do better than any other turn based strategy series is weaving the story very tightly into the missions. You always have a keen understanding of just what each battle means, both for the individual soldiers and for the bigger war effort.

3. Celeste (Switch)
    I went in expecting a tough and satisfying platformer. What I did not expect was the wonderful narrative that came with it. Highly recommended to all platforming fans out there!

2. Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)
    RDR2 delighted me with it's surpisingly deep Cowboy Simulator systems, even though it annoyed me with it's frustratingly linear story missions. But the wealth of content here means you can bury yourself in just the stuff you enjoy. Despite starting it on release day, I'm still only halfway through. It's a big damn game, and one I'll be enjoying for months to come.

1. Beat Saber (PC, VR)
    At the start of the year I was hyped for a lot of games. Red Dead Redemption 2, Into The Breach, Far Cry 5. I was certainly not expecting my Game Of The Year to be a VR rhythm game where you slice cubes with a couple lightsabers, yet here we are. All those others are just great games, but Beat Saber is something truly fresh. Like Guitar Hero showed, rhythm games are best when there's a physical component to them. Something about hitting notes to the beat of the music coupled with the physical exertion results in endorphins flooding into your brain. This is a program designed to make you feel good, so it's fitting that it has a name that could win the 2018 award for "title that sounds the most like a euphemism for jacking off".

Honorable mentions:
    Florence (iPad)
    Picross S1+S2 (Switch)
    Frozen Synapse 2 (PC)
    Distance (PC)
    Moss (PC, VR)
    Minit (PC)
    Steel Rats (PC)
    In Death (PC, VR)
    Headliner: Novinews (PC)
    Red Matter (PC, VR)

Dishonorable mentions:
    Jalopy - too finicky.
    Flotilla 2 - too buggy.
    The Fall 2 - too boring.
    Budget Cuts - too wonky.
    Creed: Rise To Glory - too not-any-fun.

Dishonored® mentions:
    I played through both Dishonored® 2 AND Dishonored® 2: Death of the Outsider this year!

Still to play:
    Spider-Man, Iconoclasts, Prey: Mooncrash, God Of War, Mutant Year Zero

Our previous Best Games Of The Year lists
    2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010

Ok, now go ahead tell me how wrong my list is because it doesn't have Dead Cells on it.

I was more wondering where Return of the Obra Dinn is.

Thief fan missions and Fallout: New California

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    The Fall 2 - too boring.
    Wait, what the fuck? Part one was an unexpected diamond in the rough for me, a clumsy interface married to a tightly written sci-fi adventure that knew what it was doing almost every step of the way. While I've played a bit of part 2, I've been saving playing it for the right time.

I'm not going to believe that the good bits suddenly went tits up in the sequel unless I see it for myself.

Top work with your favourite games video, as usual, henke! I don't usually care about lists like these, but yours are always a joy to watch.
    If I played more than one or two new games a year, I might make some sort of a list too, but I guess there's no point now. Well let's see:

1. Kingdom Come: Deliverance (PC)
    I've only played this for a couple of days, but so far I've been extremely impressed. I knew that Kingdom Come would be a special one, but it's still not at all what I expected it to be - this seems to be a fairly slow-paced RPG where you don't have quest markers floating around every other NPC's head and hidden treasures lying all over the map. I love it how they've clearly spent a lot of effort on all the little details and realism. It's so refreshing to see a game like this without magic and dragons and elves and other fantasy cliches! So far in the game the atmosphere has been gloomy and depressing, but in the best possible way. Life in the Middle Ages wasn't always that rosy, and Kingdom Come really doesn't try to hide the unpleasant sides of it. It's almost distressing at times. But the game world is breathtakingly beautiful and looks so real. I just love wandering around exploring places, even though there's usually not much to be found. I still haven't figured out the melee system and many other game mechanics, but I really like learning it all a little by little. I'm excited to find out how this game turns out!

2. Underworld Ascendant
    I think this is the only other new game that I've played this year, but at the moment it's such a terrible mess that it doesn't deserve a place in my top 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    This.

But seriously, henke, you play so many new games. Why haven't you played Obra Dinn?

Also, it's too early. I've just started Below and Ashen, both of which just came out. While it's too early to say for sure, I think both games may compete for high spots on my Best Of list.

Underworld Ascendant may qualify for the most baffling tragedy of my gaming life.

1. Dead Cells - This game had me COMPLETELY hooked for a long time. Very unique style, with it's combination of the 2D Castlevania's and Dark Souls. Love this game.

2. Ni No Kuni 2 - Still playing this, but nearing the end. Not too many JRPGs combine together a JRPG with town building, army fighting and traditional JRPG gameplay (dungeon crawling, questing etc), but this one does. The first game was excellent but lacked side content. This one on the other hand is packed to the brim with HEAPS of side content. Hell it's practically on "Skyrim" levels, as I spent 90% of my time with the game doing the side stuff.

3. Pillars of Eternity 2 - Excellent game. Plenty of content. One of the success stories for Kickstarter. Must return to this one at some point due to all the DLC and free content that's been added since my last visit. Played this one on release (which I don't usually do) and the game did not disappoint.

4. Timespinner - Excellent little Metroidvania style game. Just like with SOTN just when you think it's over. Nope that's the bad ending, keep playing. Going for the ultimate ending requires double the time investment.

If Observer had been a 2018 release I'd have included that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Wait, what the fuck? Part one was an unexpected diamond in the rough for me, a clumsy interface married to a tightly written sci-fi adventure that knew what it was doing almost every step of the way. While I've played a bit of part 2, I've been saving playing it for the right time.

I'm not going to believe that the good bits suddenly went tits up in the sequel unless I see it for myself.
    Unfortunately henke is right.

henke, despite the sin of no Obra Dinn in your list or video (), you're getting really, really good at editing these year-end videos together. Your off-game music selection, timing and rhythm is remarkable. Great work!

(I chuckled when the RDR2 snow scene synced with the lyric from the Far Cry 5 song.)

Wow, I haven't played a single game mentioned in this thread (unless you could Dishonored). I guess I spent this year entirely on old stuff, as is evidenced by my review thread.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I did play the early demo years ago, and though I loved the art style I wasn't really into the gameplay. Seeing how much praise it's gotten since release has put it back on my to-play list tho. I'll get to it, eventually.

I felt the same way about The Fall, but the sequel? Eh, I've made it all the way to the final section (I think) but I just don't care about any of it enough to keep going.

Chakat sex pillow
    Well, I'm gonna be like St. Thomas here and root around in those wounds for a bit.

Good list, anyhow, and excellent video! Special marks for remembering the ® in Dishonored!
    Last edited by Sulphur; 17th Dec 2018 at 02:33.

Yeah, very nice video. How much editing did you do with the footage you have? Is it mainly straight from the trailers? There's something about how you combine the footage and the music that makes me think of David Ehrlich's style.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah the format is a straight-up ripoff of Ehrlich's style, footage from trailers soundtracked by music from other games this year. All the footage except Beat Saber is from trailers. I used footage from 1-3 trailers for each segment, but did shuffle it around and trim individual clips to sync to the beat of the music. I've been thinking for a couple months about what music to use and the sequencing, but most of the actual editing work I got done in maybe 7-8 hours over the weekend.

My game of 2018 is Devil Daggers. Which is apparently from 2016, but it was released on GOG in 2018, which makes it the closest thing to a 2018 game that I played this year. I thought it was ace though, so I'm happy with that as my pick :) I only abandoned it when I decided that it was aggravating an arm injury (the same would have happened with any FPS); but the game tells me that I racked up 15 hours of game time (which, when you consider that my longest ever game was just over 3 minutes, is fairly indicative of how addictive I found it).

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Ok, now go ahead tell me how wrong my list is because it doesn't have Dead Cells on it.
    You at least acknowledge that you lack it on your list. Then again, it would not surprise me to find out that it isn't your style of game.

As for myself, Dead Cells and DRAGON BALL FighterZ seem to be the only 2018 titles I've played that I can recommend to anyone.

Forged Battalion had so much promise as a "build your own faction" RTS, but Petroglyph (the developers) completely dropped it after release after having it chug along on lifesupport a couple of months during EA just so they could work on another RTS (based on the Conan franchise), which they seem to have also abandoned in favour of working on the C&C Remaster.

Maybe I'm too picky,
    (I dont think I am...),
    but even with ALL the games coming out,
    the VG culture is very much alive,
    I can't really think of 10 of them that I liked enough to put on a list.
    I guess thats why I'm sill modding and playing Thief and Counter Strike games.

Out of the ones the OP mentioned, Far sails was cute.
    ...up there at number 10.

And they've made almost the perfect driving game with Wreckfest.
    ...up there at number 9.

I guess far cry 5 looks good technically?
    I haven't played t, I refuse to play it.
    But canadiens really shouldn't be allowed to be in charge of content.

They might know how to code well,
    but they're completely insufferable as far as content.

These are the same peopel who gave us Nu-Garret,
    "On a pimped out new engine".

Battletech is pretty good.
    Of course being the only viable alternative after Front Mission is long gone leaves it without much competition.
    But thank goodness somebody got around to doing it.

Another Sight was cute.
    We Happy Few is flawed but beautiful.
    The Forest was good.
    Tropical Escape.
    The raft.
    Observer is slow but enjoyable for nostalgia's sake.
    I liked Stranded Deep.
    (I'm getting into survival games.)

I'm still waiting for Bikini Karate Babes 3 to come out.
    Its supposed to be out by now but I guess something that awesome takes time to get it all perfect and right.
    Last edited by robthom; 17th Dec 2018 at 07:49.

Chakat sex pillow
    I'd like to propose that the mods give robthom the member title of 'Ineffable Haiku Generator'.

I'd like to propose that the mods give robthom the member title of 'Ineffable Haiku Generator'.
    You mean the way that I double space everything?
    Its my shtick.

Or do you mean that I'm being obtuse?

As far as open world games, I'm just now getting into STALKER. I know its old but new mods of it are coming out all the time.
    Dead Air is a new mod of COC that just came out that looks like the nicest one so far.
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/dead-air

Its worth checking out IMO.

I have played 0 games released in 2018, unless you count Assetto Corsa Competizione which doesn't actually release until 2019.

I haven't played Mooncrash yet, and I've been waiting for the last PoE2 DLC to come out before buying it. The only other interesting thing that came out this year from my perspective was Ascendant, and that looks like such a mess there's no way I'm touching it until I hear it's been patched up.

My biggest gaming achievement this year was removing about 1,000 games from my Steam account.

Edit: Apparently YS VIII came out this year too, which I would have bought had XSeed ported it but I'm not touching it until it's cheap as dirt.

What does this guy have against 'canadiens' and why does he spell it that way?

For my actual list, I haven't played that many new games this year.

At number 3, Shadow of the Tomb Raider. It was exactly what I expected - more of the same rebooted Tomb Raider gameplay. Gorgeous graphics, decent-but-bland gameplay and story.

At number 2, Return of the Obra Dinn. It's really rare to see a game that actually makes you really think hard about things and to draw important conclusions from limited information, rather than just having a huge quest arrow telling you what to do next. Hopefully its success will inspire others to copy it, because I'd like to see more games like this.

I'm cheating a bit with number 1, since it was actually released just at the end of last year, but it's Vermintide 2. It had a bit of a rough start with a lot of issues that they've slowly been fixing throughout the last year, but my 325 hours played speaks volumes. Beautiful levels, compelling gameplay, the best melee combat since Dark Messiah, great characters, and a multiplayer community with almost no toxicity.

Quote Originally Posted by froghawk View Post
    What does this guy have against 'canadiens' and why does he spell it that way?
    I'm half-suspecting that he's a self-hating francocanadien.

LittleFlower
    I had not played any new games in 2018. I didn't have much time (until recently). And I never felt the urge to finish the games that I still wanted/needed to finish. GTAV, The Witcher 3 DLCs, Dishonored 2. Couldn't be bothered. So I replayed Dark Souls 1 (last winter) and Darks Souls 2 (this summer). Got all the achievements. Two weeks ago I started my first replay of Thief 2 (first replay since 2000).

But now I am playing something new !
    Ashen.

I don't know if it is a good game.
    But I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

It's supposed to be "like Dark Souls". I don't think so. DS is harder. Less forgiving. The boss fights in Ashen seem to be easier. You get an AI companion, and he/she kicks ass. Sometimes I feel the companion is playing the game, and I'm just tagging along. The mechanics in Ashen are a bit simpler. No character builds. Fewer weapons to chose from (axes, which have crit, or maces, which have some extra stun).

But it is a great game. It gives the same feeling I got when playing the Dark Souls games, Morrowind and Skyrim. It even reminds me a bit of all the hundreds of hours I played solo as a rogue in World of Warcraft, sneaking around in areas/dungeons I wasn't supposed to solo. The graphics are beautiful. The music is great. Dark dungeons are really dark. One area had snow blowing, making it hard to see. Very moody. I love it. I'm afraid I'm already half-way through (or at a third at least), when looking at the map. I also think replayability is small. But who cares. I'm enjoying myself now.

Game of the year 2018 for me: Ashen.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Btw, I love these threads, you guys give me a blueprint of what to play over the next 2 years.

The only 2018 games I've played are:

Below - It's only been out a couple of days, but I'm hooked/addicted already. We'll call it my de facto GOTY until proven otherwise.
    Don't Starve: Hamlet - This is DLC, a pretty good twist on base game's mechanics.
    Dark Souls Remastered - Does this count? My first time through this classic, which was of course awesome. Originally played on PS4, replaying it now on the Switch.
    Far Cry 5 - I had some fun with it, got about a third of the way through and then suddenly lost interest. I'm sure I'll get back to it at some point.
    Subnautica - Got frustrated with the early game and shelved it.
    Platago! - Really fun platform game maker, ala Super Mario Maker (but just a bit more generic). Not bad for 5 bucks.

I also picked up Dead Cells, Celeste, and Amid Evil, but I haven't had a chance to really dive in to those yet.

My $ spent total on Steam this year was my lowest (by far) since 2012, which is probably because I was playing a decent amount of PS4 games, but also just because of such a huge backlog. I tend to think this is not what Steam had in mind when they run all those crazy sales.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast