TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Zeal article on Thief: TDP 20th Anniversary

Zeal article on Thief: TDP 20th Anniversary

hey everyone! my name is Liz, and i'm a games writer/designer/musician/etc. i've worked with game developer/critic Robert Yang before, who has written a lot about Thief and appears to have followed this community for a long time.

sorry for the late bump, but i just thought you all might enjoy this (massive) article about Thief that i wrote for the games publication Zeal for last month's anniversary:

https://medium.com/mammon-machine-ze...r-6bd1f92783e9

it covers Thief, with many tangents into discussing kitsch, murder mansions, a famous serial killer, The Third Man, fascism, and more

anyway, enjoy!

Nice, very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by ellaguro View Post

anyway, enjoy!
    Nope. What a load of bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Purgator View Post
    glad you enjoyed it

it covers Thief
    It really doesn't.

hey everyone! my name is Liz, and i'm a games writer/designer/musician/etc. i've worked with game developer/critic Robert Yang before, who has written a lot about Thief and appears to have followed this community for a long time.

sorry for the late bump, but i just thought you all might enjoy this (massive) article about Thief that i wrote for the games publication Zeal for last month's anniversary:

it covers Thief, with many tangents into discussing kitsch, murder mansions, a famous serial killer, The Third Man, fascism, and more

anyway, enjoy!
    Thank you, next.

Southquarter.com/fms
    i just thought you all might enjoy this (massive) article about Thief that i wrote for the games publication Zeal for last month's anniversary:
    This essay was funded through Patreon under the ZEAL project. ZEAL aims to provide high quality criticism of rarely discussed games and comics, and showcase the talents of exciting new writers and artists.
    Wow, you actually got paid to write this? How do I get in on this racket.

Chakat sex pillow
    While registering as a member just to post about an article you wrote isn't a great move, I don't see what the problem is? It's a different perspective on Thief from someone who's obviously played and studied it, then teased out a few connections and what those connections mean on a personal level. You don't need to agree with it (and I don't, particularly in the matter of comparing Constantine to Bluebeard and other serial killers which is a bit much, far better to just focus on Thief's melding of outré influences instead of tugging on the murderer cord), but it's an interesting piece. Unless what you're all saying is that there's only one way to appreciate Thief, in which case, insular much?

".....what you're saying is?" Yep. Nice one, Cathy.
    I don't care much for politics in my entertainment, Thank you very much.
    We're a pretty egalitarian bunch down this side of Comm Chat, Sulphur, old fruit. We're all ages, races, genders, various religions, varying degrees of ability, disability. At least I know that here, none of those things will be used against anyone, to gain an advantage. We're just Thief fans.
    There are some who are no longer with us and are missed, terribly.
    Personally, I don't like extremists. I especially don't enjoy those who decry extremism, whilst peddling their own extreme political agenda. I'll call bollocks on that shit all day long, buddy.

Mein Kampf: Bollocks.
    Das Kapital: Bollocks.
    You get the jist.

If not, Google, dear boy, Google.

So, Thief 20th Anniversary Birthday Thread anyone?
    Last edited by Purgator; 18th Dec 2018 at 03:33.

Chakat sex pillow
    Say whuh? Did I miss an article on a democratic election, somehow?

Oh and yeah, HB, game. Belated, you were so good, boo hoo why don't people make more games like you, etc.

Edit: while I did chuckle at your edit and the absurd nature of being patronised by someone who joined this place after me, I don't really care about political extremism/ideology in a conversation about Thief, which makes it ironic that you seem to want to bang on about it.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 18th Dec 2018 at 03:48.

Google, Sulphur.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Ok, I think points have been made all around, let's get back to celebrating the 20th and move along from all the bollocks before I have to just start removing posts.

anyway, enjoy!
    I enjoyed this article a lot, actually. Particularly the point about the aesthetics, how they represent what some rich assholes a few hundred years ago might have wanted their houses to look like. The bright colors everywhere, weird design decisions, etc. You're not in an idealized "elegant" looking mansion, you're in some dude's house where he keeps all the stuff he thinks makes him look cool.

I disagree with some of your points, especially about the end of the game. I think, perhaps in a vacuum, it is not a great ending. But in the context of the full trilogy, I think it works well.

As for the stuff that strays into politics, I'm not really sure what people are complaining about. These seem like clear observations, I'm not seeing any advocacy of "extremism" at all. And the idea that our media should just be "politics free" is absurd. Our lives are political, so media which mimics or represents aspects of our lives will necessarily be, to some extent, political too. To think that Thief has nothing to say about any political issue is laughable.

Can all the non Birthday related stuff be removed to a new thread, perhaps? Keep whatever intact. You can name it whatever you want, and all the armchair SJWs can have at it.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Done.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Wow, you actually got paid to write this? How do I get in on this racket.
    I imagine Garrett himself saying something like this

Can all the non Birthday related stuff be removed to a new thread, perhaps? Keep whatever intact. You can name it whatever you want, and all the armchair SJWs can have at it.
    ok I agree with this but how is

Quote Originally Posted by Psych0sis View Post
    dae like thief
    non birthday, I was asking if people like the game

IMO this needs editing, mostly cutting. Character / word limits are a good thing.