TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CrossTrix - Upcoming Steam Release

CrossTrix - Upcoming Steam Release

My game, CrossTrix is set for Steam release on January 2nd of 2019. Been working on this game for the past 12 months.

For a description of gameplay:

CrossTrix is a crossword based puzzle game, where you are given 20 mystery letters which are revealed individually each turn. Each player is given 3 re-rolls per game that they may use to replace newly-revealed letters with a different letter, for a chance at more matches on screen. The game features 3 game modes:

* Score Attack - All instances of a revealed letter are awarded to the player. Player reveals all letters, then play switches to the next player.
    * Strategy Mode - Players can only select 3 of the instances of revealed letters on screen. When all letters have been revealed, play switches to the next player.
    * Versus Mode - Players can only select 3 of the instances of revealed letters on screen. Both players are working off the same screen and can absorb opponent pieces via having a scored tile to the opposing sides (of left and right, or above and bellow) of a piece or pieces to absorb them. Players take turns, as play changes to the next player after "End Turn" is selected.

Goal of the game is to get the best score. Scoring of complete words will earn the player bonus points.

Store page here:
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...ssTrix/?beta=0

Some gameplay vids for the 3 game modes:

Score Attack mode 1 Player:

Strategy mode 1 Player:

Versus mode 1 Player:

Game will be up for sale in 2 weeks at $4.99.
    Last edited by icemann; 23rd Dec 2018 at 01:00.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Congrats on getting it finished. Looks like something I could get really into actually.

Versus mode is where the real fun is at . Though that's my heavily biased opinion, having been developing this for the past 12 months. But it was the most fun from a 2 player competitive standpoint. Did numerous QA tests with other testers (wife and some of my students) to check for bugs, make sure everything was working right and to see if it had the "fun factor" behind it.

Has some elements of the game "Othello" in there if you've ever played that (I had as a kid in the 80s on the Atari 2600). Though as your limited in where you can place your selections of the revealed letters on screen, there is a massive amount of strategy involved + some random chance in there. Juggle that, with the battle to complete entire words and then not have that snatched away from you later on, since if a letter of said completed word gets "absorbed" later on then you lose the score bonus.

If there is enough interest later on, I may release the level editor as a free extra. The Crosswords are super easy to put together once you've put together a couple. Only tricky bits is trying to incorporate as many of the letters of the alphabet as you can, and coming up with word combinations if your trying to fill up a full area.

That looks great- nice work icemann! The versus mode definitely looks like fun. Is there joystick support? It would be cool if my gf and I could play on the couch. Anyway, congrats man

Thank you.

Joystick support currently is not in, though I've had joystick support in earlier games I've done. So in theory be do-able to add in. Especially as the game is mouse driven for the most part. I've been spending so much time getting all the Steam store stuff done that I need a break from it all. But give me some time and I'll look into adding that in. Wouldn't take more than a day to implement.

"Each player is given 3 re-rolls that they may use across the match to re-roll a letter revealed for the chance at more matches on screen."

Assuming that's your official description of the game, I'll just say that after re-reading several times I still don't understand what you're trying to convey there, so perhaps you could try to clarify it. The phrase "use across the match" is particularly cryptic.

Be happy to re-word that bit if it's not clear.

Each turn a letter is revealed, with matches for that letter displayed on the crossword. Players in strategy and versus modes have 3 moves maximum for selection of those matches. For a chance at a greater amount of matches on screen, a player may use one of their re-rolls which will then give them a different letter (one which isn't already in their 20 letters). Each player has 3 re-rolls that they may use across the entire match. Re-rolling removes any matches on screen from the initial letter revealed that they had not clicked on (in strategy and versus modes).

Does that make sense?

To give a gameplay example:

Player 1 clicks on "Reveal Next Letter", gets a "B" and only one match appears on screen. For a chance at more matches on screen they click "Re-Roll Letter" which removes the match from B, reveals the re-rolled new letter in it's place which is a "L" and gets 3 matches which then appear on screen. Though of course the gamble is in whether or not the player will get a "better" letter or not.

In versus mode, as both players are working off the same screen, there is the competing for letter matches which is another factor, as say there is 2 matches for a J on screen and player 1 clicks them both, if player 2 later on gets a "J" revealed then they'd get zero matches on screen since those 2 were already acquired by player 1.

For strategy and versus modes, a tactic I've often used is for when I get a letter that only gets 1 match to click on that match (which uses up 1 of your 3 moves per turn), then click re-roll for the chance at more matches to click on and thus use up all of the 3 moves for that turn. Though this can backfire if you happen to get a good letter that has quite a few matches on screen (a vowel for example, which often have more than one match).
    Last edited by icemann; 22nd Dec 2018 at 07:59.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Eh, it's still difficult to understand, I had to watch the videos to get an understanding of how it plays.

Not sure how to make it clearer in text, but one problem I can point to is that you probably shouldn't use the word "match" in 2 different senses of the word in the description. Seems you use it in both the align-sense and the game-sense of the word.

True. Not sure how I could explain it simpler. Some games are best worked out as you play I think.

I think I understand, but I can only maintain that:

> The phrase "use across the match" is particularly cryptic.

The expanded description now says "use across the entire match" which is basically the same phrase. The word "entire" doesn't make it any easier to parse. (As henke says, it's hard to discern what you mean by the word "match" at any given time.)

I would suggest that you delete that phrase from the text. To my mind it confuses more than it explains. Unless I've misunderstood, I think something like the following would work better:

"Each player is given 3 re-rolls that they may use to replace the newly-revealed letter with a different letter, for a chance at more matches on screen.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Congrats in advance, icemann. I just picked up your last game a few days ago, so I'm a bit behind. Hope the new one does well. Btw, what did you use to make it?

I coded the game together in a mix of SDL 2.0 (which is a sound and video libray) and a engine I've been adding to across projects ever since Bipolar Game. With every new project I do, I add better stuff to it. For example, with this one I upgraded it up to SDL 2.0 (previously I'd been using SDL 1.2) which gave me some extra things to play with like transparency with the images (eg you'll see it in use with the "PLAYER 1 TURN" that goes across the screen in the versus mode video, and with how the instances of a revealed letter appear on screen).

The only trouble with:

"Each player is given 3 re-rolls that they may use to replace the newly-revealed letter with a different letter, for a chance at more matches on screen" is that it doesn't say that it's for the entire match/game. So that may confuse some people into thinking they get 3 re-rolls per turn.
    Last edited by icemann; 22nd Dec 2018 at 21:27.

So "match" means "game"? Like football?

Can't you just say "game" then?

Or is it like tennis, where the game and the match are not the same thing?

Seriously, that wording is hugely confusing, when you are at the same time talking about random letters being a "match" for the words on the screen.

(To me "the match" surely meant "all the letters matching the new letter", and therefore "across the match" must have meant something with respect to the letters which were currently highlighted, or some such; but it really wasn't clear. Despite realising now that henke previously identified the two meanings, it still did not occur to me that the phrase was referring to "the current game".)

What about:

"Each player is given 3 re-rolls per game ..." ?
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 22nd Dec 2018 at 22:06.

Sure.

Administrator
    Congrats on getting the game completed!

Thank you. Merry xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by smallfry View Post
    That looks great- nice work icemann! The versus mode definitely looks like fun. Is there joystick support? It would be cool if my gf and I could play on the couch. Anyway, congrats man
    Joystick support now in. Took some work to get this working properly.

Nice! I look forward to playing this on the couch!

w00t, congrats! Go go TTLG GameDev Krew with another release

How many of us is there now? Me, Yakoob, smallFry, henke. Others?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Lots! Just looking through the "what are you making" thread and it's evident we have a lot of talent here, but sadly few who actually end up finishing anything. Come on NV and Pyrian, time to WRAP THOSE PROJECTS UP! Renz, get that comic done already. And nicked, I don't wanna hear any talkback, you're gonna dig up the "Wheelbound" project and actually finish it, coz I wanna play it! 2019 BABY, YEAR OF THE TTLG GAMEDEV KREW!

I'm quite notorious for starting and not finishing stuff. I was just super motivated to get this one done.

Still got:

* A 75% done UGC for the SRR. Just needs a final bit to a quest, then 2 more main ones. Then it's done. A couple of months ago I got back to working on this again. It was in dire need of porting over to the "Dragonfall" expansion. Did that, and added in a extra side mission, then got side tracked by CrossTrix.
    * SDL update for Fishing Time. Much of this was straight porting of existing code and then adding in extra stuff. 50% done. The bulk of work was completed a year ago just before I started on CrossTrix. Technically I could just ditch the new game modes and and release it as is, as everything's done besides the new game modes. At the very least though, it could use a animated menu screen.
    * SDL update of my Space Invaders remake. Yeah I dunno if I'll ever do this one. In theory would take not much time at all, since I only wanted to do a straight port to SDL for this one. 0% done. Not even started.

Anyone else got a whole heap of unfinished projects?

Congrats!

I might be nitpicking -- or missing the obvious -- now, but the word "ryme" rubs me the wrong way: is it an actual (English) word? The only (official) mention of it I can find is as an obsolete spelling of "rime" (or as a misspelled "rhyme"). You could replace it with for example "hymn" without having to change any of the other words. You could also replace it with "rhyme", and "zebra" with "razzia" (if "razzia" is an acceptable word and you don't want to lose the Z), or maybe with "Arizona" or "Warszawa" if names are acceptable... etc...

A few of the levels/Crosswords could use some fine tuning definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Come on NV and Pyrian, time to WRAP THOSE PROJECTS UP!
    Well... At least I'm working on it again. Right now I can hardly believe Orbiceptor was supposed to be my quick and easy project.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    I'm quite notorious for starting and not finishing stuff. … Anyone else got a whole heap of unfinished projects?
    Seems to me that's basically default human behavior. I try not to start too many projects, lol... I've only "officially" given up on one Unity project, and I still think about returning to it from time to time, but first I've just got to complete Orbiceptor… (Then Glade Raid...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast