TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Opus Magnum

Level 10,000 achieved

Opus Magnum

Seeing Malf and Dema chatting about this in the megathread got me to finally boot it up as well. Only made 3 of the post-tutorial machines yet.

My prettiest machine so far!

It's not very effective though, I can't quite get the cycles as low as the rest of you. What's the trick?

Yay I love Opus Magnum! I'm not that great but for getting faster machines I am always looking towards using wheels, which help reduce the number of arm rotations (especially when resetting their positions).

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ah, very elegant! I haven't started using wheels yet.

The other trick I often use, although I'm not sure it could work here, is any time the task involves moving one crystal over one space, I'll use two single-arms, with one moving the crystal while the other is returning, so you have a crystal being placed every cycle.

Wheels are good, and long arms so that you can move crystals a distance very fast.

I can post some of my elegant ones once people get to them. (I can see from my leaderboard.)
    Some of my early ones weren't very efficient because I hadn't learned some of the tricks yet, and I'm still learning after looking at other solutions out there.

Thing What Kicks
    I think I've fallen into the trap early on of being obsessed with creating instruction sets that will continue ad infinitum instead of concentrating on just producing the required amount of product. But my programmer friend from YakYak.org continuously tops my friend list scoreboard, and some of his scores are crazy.
    I'm baffled by how he got 40/28/24 for the Airship Fuel formula.

By the way, the scoreboard stats aren't what you get combined in one formula, but your best individual stat per formula. So it's possible you can do three different formulas to optimize each stat independently and get something like that. The one that really counts I think is cycles, since that really gets to the core functionality of the design.

Generally cheap is also small. My two designs on Purified Gold are
    Small and cheap; 60/1607/12
    Neither but rather faster; 560/173/84

I'm utterly useless at building anything especially complex in a way that results in something particularly efficient or beautiful :\

I'll post some of mine that I like here over time so you can see them. Don't spoil yourself.
    Feel free to do the same. I'd enjoy seeing y'all's.
    Giphy seems to work best for this.

Hangover Cure (120G, 66C, 32S)
    Health Tonic (120G, 37C, 23S)
    Hair Product (70G, 73C, 10S)
    Explosive Phial (170G, 52C, 23S)
    Armor Filament (125G, 78C, 25S)
    Life-Sensing Potion (475G, 79C, 137S)
    Invisible Ink (400G, 51C, 160S) (Still my favorite creation.)
    Purified Gold (540G, 358C, 124S) (I can already see some ways to greatly optimize this.)
    Alchemical Jewel (570G, 150C, 145S)
    Last edited by demagogue; 5th Jan 2019 at 19:14.

Thing What Kicks
    I've got a couple of variations on Hangover Cure:
    80G, 62C, 20S
    80G, 71C, 12S

And a Health Tonic:
    80G, 51C, 25S

And while it's costly, I like my Precision Machine Oil:
    110G. 64C, 29S

My faster 560/173/84 version of Purified Gold
    I can't seem to upload the tiny cheap version, probably because it's so slow the file is 12.5meg

And inspired by how much faster you guys had got it, Health Tonic 100g/26c/27s
    Last edited by caffeinatedzombeh; 6th Jan 2019 at 12:00.