TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Attempt to inherit from non-inheritable archetype

Attempt to inherit from non-inheritable archetype

After a new Install of thief 2 and updating with 1.26 i cant open my cow.data.

MONO:
    ASSERT: [TRAITMAN.CPPE211] Attempt to inherit from non-inheritable archetype
    lm32 params: attenuation_exp=1.07 saturation_factor=1.4

Dont tell me this FM is lost??

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Install DromEd toolkit, too or install this
    www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149404

Also copy dark.cfg from the old install.

A search finds this thread:
    https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122849

In the situation in the linked thread, the cause was overwriting the gamesys with a mission. In your case perhaps you went to 'save mission' and selected the .cow file.

I havent save this cow in mis or gam? i have change the end from cow but it dosent work...

Quote Originally Posted by -Terra- View Post
    I havent save this cow in mis or gam?
    That's not what I said. I said you might have accidentally gone to File > Save Mission and then selected the .cow file.

i have change the end from cow but it dosent work...
    If you mean you changed the extension, that wasn't something anyone suggested because we already know it won't work.

Regardless of the cause of the problem, the best course of action is probably to open one of your backups. Hopefully you won't have lost too much work.
    (In addition to your own backups, Dromed automatically saves the previous saved file as backup.cow)

Edit: there is also p_portal.cow, which is the last thing that was successfully portalized. No guarantee it's the mission you've been working on because you may have made others.
    There is also also inprog.cow, which is the last thing before the last time you went in to game mode.
    Last edited by R Soul; 13th Jan 2019 at 14:20.

Well, this FM is now Lost and i dont have any Backups oft this...

https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148548

All i have is a useless cow.data, well game over for this Saga....

Before giving up hope, you should upload the .cow file. No one can make any promises, but someone might load it and see something useful in a log file or something. It may also be useful to let us know in what version of Dromed you last saved it (e.g. did you save it in 1.25 or 1.24 etc).

This error also occurs if you load a big multibrush from another mission which has a custom gam. Insert the multibrush, save it without optimazation and you
    get this error. The mutlibrush might also exceed the ob-ids limit. purge_missing_objs and delete the missing folder.
    In this case, a old cow file is the solution.
    What does it mean, there is no backup? Never overwrite a cow/mis.

Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    What does it mean, there is no backup? Never overwrite a cow/mis.
    Hi Unna,

Just wondering about something. I always have backup files myself, but usually no more than 7, after the 7th save file I overwrite the first, then the second and so on...
    What did you mean by never overwrite a cow or mis file?

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    That is not wise. I never overwrite a cow file, I keep them all (hundreds) until I release the mission and then I delete most of them but the most recent from my backup folder. Terra, are you really saying you don't have any other older backups of this mission?

Well, something might be terrible wrong and you don't realize it - even after a couple of days of work on the mission. For example testing something with set game_mode_backup 0 and saving it afterwards.
    You might be glad to have some old saves.

Indeed. If I had only ever kept 7 saves of each of my FMs, I daresay half of them would never have been released.

No this is no joke, i dont have any backup or something of this.....
    The Problem was before i delete the Thief 2 Game etc. i put all the files from this FM in a other Folder to keep at save, after the new Install of this Thief 2 i put all back and than this Error was to see. this is a cow file but i use the gamesys from Rotb2 from Gort. and this other backup files are gone with the unistall...
    I dont have any options of this, i have the cow file, when someone will take a look of this than i can send this file, maybe there is a idea??

Plan B is that, i give up this FM and working on the Next Part of this Saga and rebuild this FM in the near Future, but all this Work??

You deleted the install folder. Windows might recover the files (Windows recycle bin). There are some free data recover programs available, too.
    Please upload the cow, we'll see.

Found a Old inprog.data but this file is also broken now, after trying with some recovery programs and other helps there is no really a Chance...
    thanks to Unna for the help. i give up this FM and try to work on the next part...

The original folder should be in your Recycle Bin unless you intentionally went in there and removed it.

I always made sure to save my mission before quiting dromed for the day or session, and some days I had more than one save. In LS5 Part 2 I had more than 916 saves including the final miss file.

Whenever I worked on my mission I would load yesterday's file and save to a new file, and I always made sure my mission worked without errors before saving to a new file before quiting. That way I know my mission will be in working order the next day. Its important to keep a lot of saves because unforeseen problems can appear later in the building process. I also back up my saves to another drive or a cd/dvd disc because you never know if your hard drive will decide to take a permanent siesta and leave you disappointed.

I've the cow stored. The gamesys is broken and won't load. Since it's not available in the recycle bin of your PC any more, your only chance is to do a scan for lost/deleted files. Maybe your lucky and the data is not overwritten yet.
    Here's a program you can try
    https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva
    and some more
    https://www.techradar.com/news/the-b...overy-software

Search for "cow" or the the name of the cow.

Is it possible to extract the .mis data from the cow file? I have no idea how it all works, but if possible that could at least save a good chunk of the project.

Is there a utility or a hex editor that can extract the mis portion of the cow file? I just realized I am asking the same thing as trefoilknot. As I look at two saves, one a cow and the other a mis, there are similarities but someone would have to know which portion to take out and what to add in to make it a usable mis file.

It's not easy to separate .mis portion from a .cow file, as there are a lot of similar chunks (probably most of them) and their content is merged in a seemingly random order. The extraction would be like a surgical operation almost. Not impossible, but a good knowledge of the file format would be needed.
    Having said that - I'd be happy to have a look at the file to see if anything can be recovered. Recently I play around with the .mis and .gam files in some hex editor (010 Editor) - I'm not an expert, so I can't promise anything, but who knows, the damage while critical, may be limited to a small number of chunks...?
    @Terra - if you want to send me your file, please include the gamesys you used as well, so I can compare them.

Yeah I could see that the two formats don't even begin the same and some chuncks appear at different intervals. If we could figure out the formats someone ciuld write a Norton Utilities-like utility to fix broken mis and cow files.