TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Cool video about non-euclidean maps

Cool video about non-euclidean maps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEB11PQ9Eo8

Could this be implemented in Dark? The teleportation aspect is trivial, it's the rendering that would be tricky. Perhaps with some heroic renderpassing, like reflections on steroids?

The simple answer is no. It's a too big and fundamental change to the rendering engine. And I believe rendering is the simplest of all the problems that would have to solved. Basic ray tracing routine used for line-of-sight calculations would have to be affected. Things like AI seeing you, sound propagation, path finding. Even things like frobbing objects across the invisible portal. Not to mention extinguishble lights whose radius span over the portal border. The list could go on...

It does sound interesting though and would go very well with the spirit of Constantine mansion and similar maps.

Teleporting combined with rotations can do some interesting tricks though. Have you played Temple of Tides by Nameless Voice? If not, I'm pretty sure you'll like it. There are some spacial tricks that are initially almost as confusing as the examples from your link.

Hmm... Perhaps it could still be used in very controlled settings (no nearby AI, no potential lighting changes, no nearby objects to interact with, etc...) but with all the limitations, probably not even worth dealing with. Oh well!

Yes, Temple of the Tides is one of my all-time favorite missions. It's amazing how much 'juice' Nameless Voice manages to squeeze out of such simplicity---simply brilliant!

Feel free to add this to the New Dark feature request thread. As much as I love the idea, I doubt it will ever happen in NewDark though.... :/

For simple things, teleporting (with optional rotation) should do the trick. But instead of rendering a room on the other side of the portal (which requires a change to the rendering engine), you just have to build your "magic geometry" twice: once seen through the invisible portal and once for the actual destination place you get teleported to.

This approach actually solves a number of problems that occur with the rendered portals - since the "other side" is real, you can frob things and lightmaps will bake correctly.
    You can have also duplicated loot items in both copies of the room, so if you take one, the other needs to get deleted. Same for the lights - if you turn it off, the other one should get turned off too.
    Moving physical objects could be problematic, but with custom scripts maybe you'd be able to copy transforms of corresponding objects to each other across the rooms as well.
    It would be cool to get projectiles working.

A simple example of the setup of rooms, where Room 1 seems to overlap with / replace Room 3. Dots are positions of the player, as he moves: