TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Metro Exodus

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Metro Exodus

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/metro-exodus
    https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-U...ro-exodus/home

Out Feb 13th.

My God, this game is looking mouth-watering good. Calling it now, this will be one of the sleeper favourites of 2019 for many.

Last edited by EvaUnit02; 28th Jan 2019 at 13:44.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Epic Store exclusive now. Existing Steam preorders will be honoured.
    https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-U...ro-exodus/home

http://www.metrothegame.com/en-us/ne...-announcement/

Chakat sex pillow
    Six pages and counting of major and minor variations on 'Epic are cucks', 'Boycott this game now', 'Thanks for making torrenting great again' on the Steam discussion forums for M:E right now. If you want to laugh at how low brows can go, there's your stop.

Stay classy, Steam users.

I can honestly understand their frustration at the game suddenly being pulled away two weeks before release.

Even more so considering how much of a bad joke the Epic Game Store is right now.

They drove a dumptruck full of money up to our office, we arent made of stone!

According to an update on the below article, the Epic Store exclusivity will only last for a year; the game is due to return to Steam from 14th February 2020.

https://www.pcgamer.com/metro-exodus...ffer_pcgamerfb

Amazing how quickly this game went from the next Stalker-like indie golden-child to the next Ubisoft-like money-grubbing pain in the ass (in the sense of having to go through their dumb system just to play the game).

Still looks good, and the time limit on the exclusivity is good to know.
    I'm already waiting a year for AAA priced games anyway, so I'll catch it when it's on Steam & on sale then.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Seems like a really bad plan, Epic must be paying these guys a lot to be exclusive. Losing out on the exposure you would get on Steam? I dunno, maybe they're counting on console sales. And after a year, who will even care anymore?

Funny you say that.

Have a read of this article from RPS. They flat out say that the game will sell badly on there, and that it's a bit of a dick move (of Epic), as:

Metro will sell far fewer copies for being on Epic and not Steam. This won’t affect developer and publisher 4A and Deep Silver in the short-term, because Epic will most likely have paid them outrageous amounts of money for the exclusivity. As they will most likely have paid to everyone else who’s signing on for these one-year spoiler deals. But I confidently predict it won’t actually help Epic. Because even the people who are willing to buy Metro, or whatever, over there will just put it in the app next to Fortnite, and then switch back to Steam to browse upcoming releases.

I think the far better move, would have been to have it on both. They also go on to say that Epic's store in it's current form is not very good, and that it's quite difficult to find games on there.

Forced exclusivity to a platform may have worked for Nintendo back in the 80s - 90s (with the NES), but that was a VERY different time.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Pretty sure forced exclusivity is still working great for Nintendo, as well as Sony and others. I bought a Switch mainly so I could play the Nintendo exclusives.

hell I've bought every nintendo console since the snes so I could play nintendo

Southquarter.com/fms
    A bit of apples and oranges here, Nintendo stuff is completely exclusive, where the only way to play it is to actually buy their console. I'm guessing most PC owners also own a console of some kind, so they can buy Exodus that way too. I plan on picking it up for PS4, probably buying up a used copy on Amazon after it's been out for 3 months or so at about 75% of the cost.

Well Nintendo's 80s - 90s deal with companies was a tad more hardcore. They forced any company that wanted to put games on their NES, to only put any game they made on there + limited them to a set amount of games they could release per year.

Some companies told Nintendo to go jump. Others created sub-companies, to get around it and sell other games elsewhere or to release more per year.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Epic are currently choosing to compete based on holding 3rd party games for ransom rather than features. Epic isn't a small or poor company and reportedly this plan to launch a Epic Games retail store with 3rd party content has been in place for years.

Feature-wise, Epic's end user client is lacking compared to the competition.

Anyway the message to Valve is clear: They need to drop their percentage from 30% to 10-11% to complete with Epic otherwise they'll see more lucrative AAA partners jumping ship.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Feature-wise, Epic's end user client is lacking compared to the competition.
    And how do UPlay and Origin compare.

Everyone keeps linking that image without referencing the source (which has a far more detailed table with all the platforms):

https://www.fortressofdoors.com/so-y...-with-steam-2/

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Everyone keeps linking that image without referencing the source (which has a far more detailed table with all the platforms)
    The new platforms (Epic Store, Discord, Kartridge and RobotCache) compared to Steam only, there's no sight of Origin, UPlay or GOG in that table. The writer even clarifies that he isn't going to add those as he is only looking at how the new platforms stack up against Steam.

Ah, that's true.

Anyway, I'm not sure if the message to Valve is as clear as Eva suggests.

Sure, I'd like to see Valve change their cut, but I'm not sure if the pressure for them to do so exists yet.
    I don't think Metro Exodus moved to Epic because of that 12% cut, I think they moved because Epic gave them a boatload of money to make it an EGS exclusive.
    So far, that's mostly just bought Epic and Deep Silver really bad publicity, not helped by the fact that the EGS is a terribly under-developed storefront missing the most basic of features.

Epic might manage to kill their store before it even starts and end up not actually being competition to Steam at all.

Also, those big publishers who were already leaving Steam will probably continue to develop their own stores for 0% cut rather than giving Epic a 12% one.

Also, those big publishers who were already leaving Steam will probably continue to develop their own stores for 0% cut rather than giving Epic a 12% one.
    On the other hand, if they're using UE4 then it becomes a 5% vs 12% issue and the Epic Store may turn out to be a reasonable alternative for them.

Depending on how well the Epic store does and is percieved obviously.

Developing, maintaining and operating your own digital storefront is most certainly not a 0% cut from business and development costs. If another developer will offer to handle all that encompasses for you for 12% or less, even big publishers may be swayed.

For example, Ubisoft, despite already having their own store, has already abandoned Steam for Epic with The Division II.

While Epic's handling of all of this is a bit of a PR mess, and right now their launcher is laughably underdeveloped, I'm not convinced it will cause them any serious long-term consequences. I'm reminded of how poor Steam's launch was, and how all those Call of Duty players who claimed they'd boycott the game were caught playing the game right after its release.

People will spend all kinds of time and energy complaining on gaming forums and social media, but if they really want the game, most people will just buy it and play it wherever they have to get it, even if they righteously shout otherwise in public.

I'm sure it's never going to happen, and would have plenty of issues which I've never considered, but I always thought it would be cool if everyone who wasn't Valve, and wanted their own store, came together and created a standard for shopping, profiles, friend lists, streaming, etc, (with multiple front ends, some official, some open source) so that you could switch over from Origin to GOG in the same client, and share ecosystems. The eventual goal would be to strong-arm Valve into joining the standard.

Yeah, never gonna happen.

If only.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    And how do UPlay and Origin compare.
    They have many of the features of Steam: eg cloud saves; in-game overlay with browser + FPS counter, broadcasting; friends list; friend chat; library sorting. They've had 8-10 years to get their clients to decent states.

I thought Origin was alright. Used it a bit, due to the On the House specials.