TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System Shock Video Shows Off Final Art

Disappointed they took out the little QTEs for the items in the closet as well as the desk with the code written in blood for the door out. The dark areas below the main hallway are lit up, now.

ZylonBane
    You don't know what a QTE is, do you.

Guess not. I thought the little animations showing off the new items picked up were quick time events.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well, that looks great. Love all the colored lighting.

That's looking very nice. I imagine the lighting levels could be tweaked (and the bright green flash when opening doors is a bit excessive), but my first impressions are that it looks pretty snazzy.

ZylonBane
    I really hope the final version doesn't force players to frob just that little light to open doors.

Looks good. Lol @ the keycode.

ZylonBane
    Why are you lawling at the keycode? What's funny about it?

SShock2.com

I was thinking the same.

...Same as what?

SShock2.com

What's so funny about the keycode?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah, explain yourself Pyrian. This had better be good! >:|

I assume that Pyrian is amused by the usage of the same keycode (451), for the first door in the original game.

Although one could argue the suitability of this, due to it being a remake of a classic, it stands to reason to alter the original keycodes in order to provide a fresh challenge for those who have previously played the original game.

SShock2.com

451 is a classic keycode. It was in the original game and it's also in System Shock 2, Bioshock or even Dishonored. I wasn't at all surprised that it is being kept in the remake. I would actually be a bit annoyed if they had changed it for some reason.

Yeah, I know that...and I like that they are honoring Looking Glass by its inclusion.

On the other hand, it does bring up the question of the value of a nostalgic detail that allows one to easily bypass a challenge. Knowing what the keycode is, essentially defeats the need to acquire it via a task.

SShock2.com

In this case it's not exactly a big task, is it? All you have to do is read the log you've left for yourself. Which is the very first one you find in the game

Yes, I agree with that as a one-off, at the beginning, in order to honor Looking Glass...However, I was referring to my initial statement:

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    Although one could argue the suitability of this, due to it being a remake of a classic, it stands to reason to alter the original keycodes in order to provide a fresh challenge for those who have previously played the original game.
    Meaning that if all the original keycodes are kept the same, that is where the exactness of detail of a remake could actually be detrimental to the experience...which would be a positive exception to the rule of faithful reproduction.

Just so you know, I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this...I just found it to be an interesting point.

SShock2.com

Well, if they'll keep the original logs, some codes will have to remain the same. Or almost the same. For example, the code for MacLeod's office in Storage will have to start and end with 8.

Right, if they alter the codes, it shouldn't alter anything else.

I would want them to keep the original logs, even if that means a few of them need the code to be identical...Although, I'm not aware of one that does.

This brings up another point...Would you rather them keep the original logs, or have revised ones for sake of freshness? Do they need to be exact?

SShock2.com

I'd rather have the original logs in the remake. I don't see any need for re-recording them.

To be clear, when I said "keep the original logs", I meant "keep the original script"...I doubt they will use the original recordings for the audio logs.

SShock2.com

I don't see any reason for not using the original recordings. Unless they want to change something in the plot.

It's not really a remake if you just dump the old assets into it.

ZylonBane
    Still waiting for you to explain the LOL was about.

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    Yeah, I know that...and I like that they are honoring Looking Glass by its inclusion.
    They aren't "honoring" anyone. This is a remake of System Shock. That's the code for that door in System Shock. It would have been bizarre if that code wasn't 451. This isn't complicated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast