TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Testers Needed: Alternative Thief 2 Patcher/Installer

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    if you mean "I accept that my patcher might break some FMs that weren't designed to be compatible with it", then yes, there is little I can do.
    You mean, your patcher isn't designed to be compatible with some FMs, since some of the changes you introduce hadn't been in it back when NewDark was released. An FM made for newdark, designed around new mantle working the way it does in unmodified newdark, released in 2015, couldn't be designed to be compatible with some features of your patcher because they hadn't been part of it back then.

You cannot make FM authors retroactively responsible to make sure their FMs are compatible with a patcher. And even then, generally speaking, a patcher which is pinned in the forums as THE go-to patcher to make Thief run hassle free on modern systems shouldn't make major changes like that which have the potential to break some newer FMs. The point of it should be to make Thief run well and without hiccups, not to alter certain gameplay elements, no?

A better solution would be to have the patcher disable new mantle by default, if that is possible, rather than changing the properties of objects to no longer respond to new mantle and therefore changing a gameplay element of newdark that may have been used by some FM authors long before this particular change became part of the patch.

Zombified
    what I meant is that if the fm author's position is that "the only way of playing my fm properly as intended is to make sure no additional resources are used, so no models, no skies, no texture packs, no nothing" then I can't help in any way, vs "I've checked it with TFix full and it's fine, just disable the hires water" (the way of disabling the water is already provided*). there are no changes that would break older ND missions and warrant fm authors to go back to update them so they would work again, that'd be nuts.

generally, FMs should have little problem running in the TFix environment, oldDark, old NewDark, new NewDark.. there are always edge case scenarios where things might break (especially if we are talking Dark1), which may be caused by a variety of things, one of them being something TFix is doing. again, should be very rare, and if something like that is found and reported, I usually fix it within hours.

T2 should have less of these problems, as NewDark runs it natively.

*the extra water frames of the hires water causing visual glitches have been mentioned - the actual proper solution to this is to include a mtl that would specify the number of frames of your custom animated resource. in times of NewDark, I would consider this good practice. same goes for other custom resources - if they are custom/new, they should have proper new names (meaning, if your fm has lizard people who are reskinned hammerites, the new custom mesh texture should NOT have the same name as the vanilla hammerite texture). again, just good practice that saves headaches later, nothing more.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 11th Mar 2019 at 17:41.

People who donīt like this have something called NewDark.zip.
    Itīs so simple.

Zombified
    also, there is the question of gamesysless FMs - basically fan missions that don't have a gamesys of their own, and use the default T2 gamesys. that means they will use the overhauled gamesys once the AM16 pack is loaded, and while this will undoubtedly provide benefits (fixed stuff) in most cases, there's definitely going to be that one fm where the author got creative in some unexpected way and things will break as result.

TFix was using a default gamesys name (dark.gam) at first, so gamesysless FMs were using the updated gamesys, but there were some problem reports, so in the end, I've renamed it to tfix.gam (and made all OMs use that) so it would only load for OMs, and provided the latest official dark.gam for use with gamesysless FMs. that means compatibility increased to max, but all those missions who did benefit from the fixes earlier now don't.

I have to admit that I have no idea how many gamesysless T2 FMs are out there though - but if I had to recommend something, I would lightly lean towards the custom gamesys that would load for OMs only. safer is better in this particular case, I think.

Actually, running T2Fix with nothing selected (other than NewDark, of course) is roughly equivalent to the NewDark archive.

I have conducted some tests with the fixed missions gamesys. I did test several "gamesys-less" FMs, none of which had any issue using the fixed gamesys. It would be excellent to perhaps have a list of changes, though I have not noticed any obvious changes from the 1.18 gamesys. I suppose that it would eliminate any chance of issue to use the default gamesys for FMs similar to TFix, but I do not currently see any reason to do this with current evidence. Though, if there is a factor I am not aware of, I would appreciate being made known of it.

Regarding an earlier concern about its changes, I have found that it is only possible to destroy metal doors with explosives only with the 1.07 version of the gamesys. It is likely many people have this version due to the hybrid 1.07/1.18 versions that are in circulation. With the full, official 1.18 gamesys, this ability was removed, likely intentionally. Therefore, it is not due to the fixed missions that this behavior is exhibited. Due to its exclusion in the latest official release, it would probably not be appropriate for me to revert this change. Players who rely on this strategy are free to use the old gamesys, but it would stand to reason that a patching utility would utilize the latest version of any official components.

Moving along, I would like to make a decision regarding the default components. I am considering three options:
    1) Deselecting all optional components by default, resulting in an extremely compatible and vanilla installation.
    2) Selecting only the fixed missions by default due to the important fixes it provides which ideally shouldn't have any compatibility issues.
    3) Selecting the fixed missions, Carry Body Mod, t2skies, t2water, and EP by default, providing a pretty, appealing default selection, though may potentially cause issues with some FMs.

Well, I just installed a fresh steam version (which is 1.18) and it allowed me to blow open all of the metal doors I tried. What I do know is that in 1.07 you could blow open the giant vault door on bank, and THAT was what they changed between 1.07 and 1.18 cause obviously that would just undermine everything in that level.

Zombified
    steam version is the 1.07/1.18 hybrid, as mentioned/posted earlier. try to improve your reading comprehension.

acknowledging the first paragraph, agreeing with the second one (with a slight smirk, I have to admit), and (very unsurprisingly) recommending option 3.

also, lets throw some fingerprinting into the candle dark.gam.dml, and kick the now redundant command to load NVScript;
    Code:
    DML1

//fingerprinting to load for OMs
    FINGERPRINT
    {
       NAME -6862 "SmallCandleFlame"
    }

//lets set up the flame effects, we need small and large flames
    +ObjProp "SmallCandleFlame" "ParticleGroup"
    {
    	"number of particles" 40
    	"size of particle" 0.06
    }
    +ObjProp "SmallCandleFlame" "PGLaunchInfo"
    {
    	"Box Min" -0.02, -0.02, 0
    	"Box Max" 0.02, 0.02, 0
    }
    +ObjProp "SmallCandleFlame" "PGLaunchInfo"
    {
    	"Min time" 0.5
    	"Max time" 0.6
    }
    +ObjProp "LargeCandleFlame" "ParticleGroup"
    {
    	"number of particles" 40
    	"size of particle" 0.12
    }
    +ObjProp "LargeCandleFlame" "PGLaunchInfo"
    {
    	"Min time" 0.6
    	"Max time" 0.7
    }
    //adding scripts for hanging candle activation - this will also add extralight as needed so the candles won't look too dark.
    +ObjProp -470 "ExtraLight"
    {
    	"Amount (-1..1)" 0.5
    }
    +ObjProp -470 "Scripts"
    {
    	"Script 0" Extinguishable
    	"Script 1" NVCreateAndLink
    	"Don't Inherit" false
    }
    +ObjProp -470 "DesignNote"
    {
    	"" NVCreateAndLinkOn="Sim"; NVCreateAndLinkCount=1; NVCreateAndLinkCreate="LargeCandleFlame"; NVCreateAndLinkLinkType="~ParticleAttachement"; NVCreateAndLinkLinkData1Field="Type"; NVCreateAndLinkLinkData1Value="1"; NVCreateAndLinkLinkData2Field="vhot #"; NVCreateAndLinkLinkData2Value="1";
    }
    +ObjProp -470 "CfgTweqModels"
    {
    	"Halt" Stop Tweq
    	"Rate" 0
    	"Model 0" hlamp
    	"Model 5" hlamp
    }
    +ObjProp -53 "ExtraLight"
    {
    	"Amount (-1..1)" 0.5
    }
    +ObjProp -53 "Scripts"
    {
    	"Script 2" NVCreateAndLink2
    	"Script 3" NVCreateAndLink3
    	"Don't Inherit" false
    }
    +ObjProp -53 "DesignNote"
    {
    	"" NVCreateAndLinkOn="Sim"; NVCreateAndLinkCount=1; NVCreateAndLinkCreate="SmallCandleFlame"; NVCreateAndLinkLinkType="~ParticleAttachement"; NVCreateAndLinkLinkData1Field="Type"; NVCreateAndLinkLinkData1Value="1"; NVCreateAndLinkLinkData2Field="vhot #"; NVCreateAndLinkLinkData2Value="1"; NVCreateAndLink2On="Sim"; NVCreateAndLink2Count=1; NVCreateAndLink2Create="SmallCandleFlame"; NVCreateAndLink2LinkType="~ParticleAttachement"; NVCreateAndLink2LinkData1Field="Type"; NVCreateAndLink2LinkData1Value="1"; NVCreateAndLink2LinkData2Field="vhot #"; NVCreateAndLink2LinkData2Value="2"; NVCreateAndLink3On="Sim"; NVCreateAndLink3Count=1; NVCreateAndLink3Create="SmallCandleFlame"; NVCreateAndLink3LinkType="~ParticleAttachement"; NVCreateAndLink3LinkData1Field="Type"; NVCreateAndLink3LinkData1Value="1"; NVCreateAndLink3LinkData2Field="vhot #"; NVCreateAndLink3LinkData2Value="3";
    }
    +ObjProp -53 "CfgTweqModels"
    {
    	"Halt" Stop Tweq
    	"Rate" 0
    	"Model 0" chdlr
    	"Model 5" chdlr
    }
    //adding scripts on the normal candles - this will also add extralight as needed so the candles won't look too dark. NVRelayTrap4 distributes waterstim upon sim to make all candles frobinert, so we can make those few that are interactive easily frobable via mission dml
    +ObjProp -181 "Scripts"
    {
    	"Script 0" NVRelayTrap2
    	"Script 1" NVRemovePropertyTrap
    	"Script 2" NVRelayTrap4
    	"Don't Inherit" false
    }
    +ObjProp -185 "DesignNote"
    {
    	"" NVRelayTrap2On="null"; NVRelayTrap2Off="null"; NVRemovePropertyTrapOn="WaterStimStimulus"; NVRemovePropertyTrapProp="FrobInfo"; NVMetaTrapOn="WaterStimStimulus"; NVMetaTrapMeta="FrobInert"; NVRelayTrap4On="Sim"; NVRelayTrap4TDest="[Me]"; NVRelayTrap4OnDelay=100; NVRelayTrap4TOn="[1.0]WaterStim"; NVRelayTrap4TCount=1;
    }
    +ObjProp -185 "ExtraLight"
    {
    	"Amount (-1..1)" 0.5
    }
    +ObjProp -185 "Scripts"
    {
    	"Script 2" NVRelayTrap3
    	"Script 3" NVMetaTrap
    	"Don't Inherit" false
    }
    +ObjProp -185 "CfgTweqModels"
    {
    	"Halt" Stop Tweq
    	"Rate" 0
    	"Model 0" canstic2
    	"Model 5" canstic2
    }
    +ObjProp -185 "FrobInfo"
    {
    	"World Action" Script
    }
    +ObjProp -182 "DesignNote"
    {
    	"" NVRelayTrap2On="null"; NVRelayTrap2Off="null"; NVRemovePropertyTrapOn="WaterStimStimulus"; NVRemovePropertyTrapProp="FrobInfo"; NVMetaTrapOn="WaterStimStimulus"; NVMetaTrapMeta="FrobInert"; NVRelayTrap4On="Sim"; NVRelayTrap4TDest="[Me]"; NVRelayTrap4OnDelay=100; NVRelayTrap4TOn="[1.0]WaterStim"; NVRelayTrap4TCount=1;
    }
    +ObjProp -182 "ExtraLight"
    {
    	"Amount (-1..1)" 0.5
    }
    +ObjProp -182 "Scripts"
    {
    	"Script 2" NVRelayTrap3
    	"Script 3" NVMetaTrap
    	"Don't Inherit" false
    }
    +ObjProp -182 "CfgTweqModels"
    {
    	"Halt" Stop Tweq
    	"Rate" 0
    	"Model 0" candle1
    	"Model 5" candle1
    }
    +ObjProp -182 "FrobInfo"
    {
    	"World Action" Script
    }
    //set up receptrons on HangingLamp to make the extralight setup work
    +Receptron -470 "FireStim"
    {
      Min "0"
      Max "None"

Target "Me"
      Agent "-470"

Effect "add_prop"
      {
        "Prop Name" "ExtraLight"
      }
    }
    +Receptron -470 "WaterStim"
    {
      Min "0"
      Max "None"

Target "Me"

Effect "rem_prop"
      {
        "Prop Name" "ExtraLight"
      }
    }
    +Receptron -470 "KOGas"
    {
      Min "0"
      Max "None"

Target "Me"

Effect "rem_prop"
      {
        "Prop Name" "ExtraLight"
      }
    }
    //set up receptrons on chandelier to make the extralight setup work
    +Receptron -53 "FireStim"
    {
      Min "0"
      Max "None"

Target "Me"
      Agent "-53"

Effect "add_prop"
      {
        "Prop Name" "ExtraLight"
      }
    }
    +Receptron -53 "WaterStim"
    {
      Min "0"
      Max "None"

Target "Me"

Effect "rem_prop"
      {
        "Prop Name" "ExtraLight"
      }
    }
    +Receptron -53 "KOGas"
    {
      Min "0"
      Max "None"

Target "Me"

Effect "rem_prop"
      {
        "Prop Name" "ExtraLight"
      }
    }
    //set up receptrons on Candle1 to make the extralight setup work (fire is on the concretes because we don't want to make all the prop candles interactive)
    +Receptron -182 "WaterStim"
    {
      Min "0"
      Max "None"

Target "Me"

Effect "rem_prop"
      {
        "Prop Name" "ExtraLight"
      }
    }
    +Receptron -182 "KOGas"
    {
      Min "0"
      Max "None"

Target "Me"

Effect "rem_prop"
      {
        "Prop Name" "ExtraLight"
      }
    }
    //set up receptrons on Candle+Stick2 to make the extralight setup work (fire is on the concretes because we don't want to make all the prop candles interactive)
    +Receptron -185 "WaterStim"
    {
      Min "0"
      Max "None"

Target "Me"

Effect "rem_prop"
      {
        "Prop Name" "ExtraLight"
      }
    }
    +Receptron -185 "KOGas"
    {
      Min "0"
      Max "None"

Target "Me"

Effect "rem_prop"
      {
        "Prop Name" "ExtraLight"
      }
    }

The Steam distribution is one of these hybrid versions I was speaking of. It has the 1.18 versions of the levels, but the 1.07 version of the gamesys. Updating the gamesys would result in you no longer being able to blow open that metal door near the beginning of the bank mission, which was one of the specific instances that I tested.

I mean no ill will and feel free to keep using it, as it is especially valuable for speedrunning, but it is a result of outdated files and should, therefore, probably not be included in a patch intended to keep everything up-to-date.

EDIT: It looks like I was a couple minutes too late.
    Last edited by Jax64; 12th Mar 2019 at 15:52.

Zombified
    100% agreed.

steam version is the 1.07/1.18 hybrid, as mentioned/posted earlier. try to improve your reading comprehension.
    My reading comprehension is just fine, I was just mentioning that I did not know that, and always assumed steam was the latest version pre-newdark shenanigans, while also divulging previous knowledge I had about the huge vault door. Perhaps you should not jump to conclusions thinking you know what you're talking about like always, as there was nowhere there where I was disputing his claims or saying steam wasn't.

Zombified
    just going to add that you should be very, very careful before saying something like "I know what the intentions of the original devs was". and yes, I'm pretty sure that I know quite well what I'm talking about when I open my mouth.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 12th Mar 2019 at 15:59.

well it was their original intention in 1.07 but then they changed it

Zombified
    one thing I've forgotten to mention - it's quite trivial to get the interactive candles mod working in pretty much any fm, it's basically just setting the candles up as animlights, and adding two archetypes to the gamesys. so a fm author who would build their mission as T2Fix aware could have free interactive candles that would get loaded only if the user has the mod loaded.

All right, the latest T2Fix beta includes several changes to the fixed missions package that I have been working on for the past several days in addition to updating the candles gamesys dml.

Mission Changes:
    Code:
    -Running Interference: Centered lamp bubbles in the courtyard and fixed an issue where the first-floor hall music continued to play after going to the basement or going outside.
    -Shipping ... and Receiving: Fixed a cut-off window texture in Building B, fixed floating swords in the workshop, and fixed the strange behavior of the spiders on Davidson's ship.
    -Ambush!: Fixed a floating lamppost
    -Eavesdropping: Fixed a disappearing door.
    -First City Bank and Trust: Replaced all instances of the texture wgrain01 with its higher-resolution version wgrain02.
    -Life of the Party: Fixed an instance where two keys mistakenly possessed the same LockID resulting in some strange behavior.
    -Precious Cargo: Fixed strange textures near the entrance to the old house.
    -Kidnap: Fixed some weird textures near Cavador's quarters.
    -Casing the Joint/Masks: Fixed many floating objects.
    In addition to this, the mantling changes have been completely removed, as several users here have given adequate reason for leaving this alone.

I am still considering how to handle the issue of default components, but as of now only the fixed missions, carry body mod, interactive candles, t2skies, and EP are checked by default. Most of these should have a fairly low chance of causing issues in FMs and are generally faithful to the style of the original assets. I would be open to hearing differing opinions, however.
    Last edited by Jax64; 17th Mar 2019 at 00:04. Reason: updated mission changes

Zombified
    I'd be careful with changing textures (wgrain), this might not play well with hd texture packs. apart from that, no complaints (while I would recommend making certain objects unmantleable to prevent too much player shenanigans, both doing and not doing it shouldn't create too much problems, so this is entirely up to you).

https://megaupload.nz/NdVcodxfbe/Metal_rar

I found these some time ago.
    Can you check them?

Zombified
    ah, missed that water is now not selected by default. it's a nice thing to have, maybe reconsider - I know this has potential to cause problems with FMs, those however should be minimized by adding a proper mtl. lets see whether I can produce it.

I tested the bank texture change with NecroAge and EP2 without issue. It should, in theory, work with any other texture pack because the only difference between wgrain01 and wgrain02 is that the former is half the resolution of the latter, something that should be acknowledged by any texture modification.
    It seems that a new issue was reported on the fixed missions thread, which I suppose I can look into as well.

As for making certain objects unmantlable, it would probably only be advisable if they were per-mission fixes so as not to apply them to fan missions. Though even then, I doubt many people here would appreciate such restrictions. I will wholeheartedly fix anything as long as it is desired, but many here have made it known that they do not want mantling changes.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by bassoferrol View Post
    https://megaupload.nz/NdVcodxfbe/Metal_rar

Can you check them?
    Absolutely. I should be able to fix most of these as soon as time permits, provided they are still present.

ah, missed that water is now not selected by default. it's a nice thing to have, maybe reconsider - I know this has potential to cause problems with FMs, those however should be minimized by adding a proper mtl. lets see whether I can produce it.
    I am always open to consideration, but at the same time I do understand that t2water can cause issues with fan missions (if the proper amount of frames are not specified in an mtl). I agree that it would be a nice thing to have, but I do not want to cause issues with fan missions that were not created with this in mind.
    Last edited by Jax64; 16th Mar 2019 at 17:54. Reason: EDIT

Zombified
    this is not so simple - the catch here is that by running under ND with new_mantle, changes are actually introduced - things previously not mantleable will become mantleable. unless they are made non-mantleable again by the global dml. anyway, as mentioned, this is not an awfully big deal either way (all I can add is that the potential for actually breaking something is very low, and that TFix has been doing this for a while, with zero issues reported).

the water mtls, they go to the \MODS\t2water\FAM\WATERHW folder (extract).

also ok on the replaced textures then.

//FM people, you know what would be of actual help right now? a FM that has issues with the hires water (TG or T2), so I could check how things behave (and whether this can be made bulletproof).

//ok, created a testmap, and I can confirm that even with the mtls at place, if the FM author included customized water textures that have the same name as vanilla resources (= bad practice) in their fan mission, and didn't add a proper mtl (= bad practice), then the hires water mod will not be compatible. so yeah, if you want to be really safe here, keep water unchecked by default. but this begs the question of how much one would want to cater to those who are causing incompatibilities by not doing things right.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 16th Mar 2019 at 20:00.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    This conversation has been very interesting and I think beneficial to Jax64, and it has been (mostly) pretty civil, so you all have this mod's thanks for engaging in discussion and disagreement without flinging shit at each other. Much.

As someone whose real life job includes designing software interfaces, I would just like to point out that it is very possible for any given component in the patcher to not be On or Off by default. You just replace checkboxes with comboboxes which default to "Make a selection..." and don't allow them proceed until all have been set one way or the other. More clicks required of the user, in many cases, but it's trivial to do that one time, and you are requiring them to make a conscious decision about each component and not blindly accept default selections made by the patcher author.

I could not agree more. I am very grateful for the discussion taking place here, as it has helped me better understand what is wanted from an all-in-one patcher such as this.
    As for using combo boxes, I believe it is an option worth considering. I shall look into this.
    I originally had a system in place in which the user selected an installation type that corresponded to a certain group of components, such as "Complete Installation" or "Recommended Installation", though later removed it to clean up the interface.

Quote Originally Posted by bassoferrol View Post
    Can you check them?
    I have finished fixing all the issues that you had logged and the new fixed missions will be included in the next T2Fix build.
    For anyone interested, the missions with the aforementioned changes may be downloaded here. Do keep in mind that only the missions that were changed are included, so be sure to have AM16's Thief2 Fixed 1.2d installed prior to using them.

this is not so simple - the catch here is that by running under ND with new_mantle, changes are actually introduced - things previously not mantleable will become mantleable. unless they are made non-mantleable again by the global dml. anyway, as mentioned, this is not an awfully big deal either way (all I can add is that the potential for actually breaking something is very low, and that TFix has been doing this for a while, with zero issues reported).

//ok, created a testmap, and I can confirm that even with the mtls at place, if the FM author included customized water textures that have the same name as vanilla resources (= bad practice) in their fan mission, and didn't add a proper mtl (= bad practice), then the hires water mod will not be compatible. so yeah, if you want to be really safe here, keep water unchecked by default. but this begs the question of how much one would want to cater to those who are causing incompatibilities by not doing things right.
    New mantle does certainly change the mantling behavior. I do think it would add some polish to include changes to accommodate for these, which is why I originally proposed the idea, but many here have said that they do not wish to see them implemented. Fan missions are, again, a major factor to consider in this. I would have to be very careful in deciding what to change, as some NewDark FMs undoubtedly require mantling on some objects that were impossible to previously. I can look into implementing such changes, but I certainly do not want to break FMs as a result. T2water is in a similar situation. While it may be bad practice to implement custom resources this way, many FMs have. Ideally, t2water would not cause issues, in which case it would be selected by default. I'm still deliberating over this, but the current selection should suffice until I either find a solution or otherwise make a decision.
    Last edited by Jax64; 17th Mar 2019 at 00:39. Reason: added missions link

Zombified
    it would be interesting to see the actual numbers, but I'm guessing nobody is keeping a list (of FMs with improperly set up water).

also, keeping a full changelog would be prudent, if you are getting into tweaking the fixed missions some more.

Zombified
    ah, one more thing that would be good to have - an unique OM mission fingerprint in each level. basically a quest variable that would positively identify all original missions as a T2 OMs.

example - type
    Code:
    quest_create_mis T2origmis,1
    in the Dromed command window and hit enter (for each mission). this will allow easier (and safer) dml modding (TFix is using origmis,1). I will fingerprint the candle mission dmls once/if this is added.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax64 View Post
    I originally had a system in place in which the user selected an installation type that corresponded to a certain group of components, such as "Complete Installation" or "Recommended Installation", though later removed it to clean up the interface.
    This is a good idea, although I would suggest naming them more descriptively. For instance, "Vanilla Installation: Engine and critical fixes only" and "Minor Graphics: Vanilla + Some basic graphics improvements" and "Everything: Vanilla + all available enhancements". The names and descriptions clearly indicate what they are choosing (well, at a high level) and you could also offer a "Manual Install" option where they choose On or Off for every bundled enhancement aside from NewDark. Those non-manual types could also simply pre-select values for all the combo boxes so they could select each one and see what it enabled/disabled from the full Manual list.

just some idea's i had

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast