TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thief DS problem - Garrett rotating after using map || Problem with ST - choppy game

Thief DS problem - Garrett rotating after using map || Problem with ST - choppy game

Hello fellas,
    sorry that my first post here is complain/issue/problem. I'll soon post here more, but after my exams (hope my problem will be solved by that time).

The case is: whenever I use map (m button) in TS, Garrett never looks at the direction he used to do before using map. I use all mods that are listed in SneakyTweaker - maybe that's the problem (some mod is bugging). Anyone know what's going on? Or solution?

Eventually SORRY if I'm in wrong section.

Thank you in advance
    Last edited by Ciumko; 3rd Feb 2019 at 15:12.

Sneaky Upgrader
    It's a known problem with the 'unpaused' and 'mouselook' modes for readables. In the tweaker, go to the Tweak Overrides page under the Minimalist Project and change the reading mode to one of the first three options.

Thank you man, I love ya Also have second question, is there possibility to have all mods on and use third person view?

Sneaky Upgrader
    Yes, you can enable it on the MP Gameplay page. (Or, rather, you disable the disabling of third-person view...)

I went throughout the SneakyTweaker options, and only thing I found is "third person death".

Must be under Minimalist Project -> Gameplay -> Remove third person mode (last option)

damn man, I don't have that option

>image<

Well, that sucks. Since I'm just a regular user of sneaky as well, all i can do is guess. Nonetheless, My tweaker says "SneakyTweaker 1.1.9.1 in the title bar, your's doesn't. Maybe update/download it again? I got mine just yesterday..

Yes, that was the issue. Thank you very much. Thread can be closed

EDIT: Well, when I updated Sneaky Tweaker, my game started chopping fps and audo :/ Anyone know what could happen? My laptop is:
    Asus K56C
    Processor Intel® Core™ i5-3317U 1.7 GHz - 2.6GHz (2 cores)
    8GB RAM
    GeForce GT 740M

As for a game from 2004, I don't think, even with these updates that it shoud have such low fps :P

Sneaky Upgrader
    Virus checkers like to interfere with this game, so try disabling it. Also, reboot first. The update itself shouldn't hurt performance.

Well I tried to install clear game (GOG). Everything is fine, game is fluent and all (at highest quality settings). When I install SneakyTweaker 1.1.9.1 on it, game becomes choppy (on lowest possible settings) as I said earlier. ATM I have 2 parallelly installed Thiefs and I can check what's going on. I guess there is some option in SneakyTweaker boxed or unboxed that is making problems, but I have no idea what could it be. Anyone?

@snobel
    I tried to shut down my antivir, nothing happened.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Try enabling single-core mode on the Troubleshooting page. If that doesn't help, try temporarily disabling all the mods.

Okay so first I got question:
    When I only install SneakyTweaker, and unbox all the modes (!) game gets choppy. Why is it? Does ST changes something inside the game files? I thought that it is only a platform for changing game mode settings.

@snobel
    When I use this setting, it gets SLIGHTLY better but almost nothing. I would say it is like 10% of smoothness (100% is before installing ST) I would like to achieve.

Thank you for replies.

Sneaky Upgrader
    There's lots of code changes to fix bugs etc. So it does more than change existing game settings. Btw. SneakyTweaker is just a tool for changing the configuration, there's also a modified exe file (which is probably why AV gets interested) and various DLL files.

One more thing you can try is to find the two options files (there's a shortcut to the Options folder in the Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade group in the Start menu), then rename or move them. That will make the game start with a default set of options. See if that changes anything.

Other than that I can only suggest that you try out older versions (which you can find here) until you find the newest version that is not choppy. Install the Update editions and don't enable any mods while you're experimenting.

Which version did you have before you installed 1.1.9.1?

Version I last had was 1.1.5.1 .

I moved these options files to different folder, didn't help. Also I see something weird. When I run game with ST even intro videos (Eidos etc.) are freakin choppy (audio) that it hurts my ears. Of course clean version of game plays intro as it should be.

Now I will try to use older versions, and post my findings.

I might suggest using some sort of Direct3D wrapper such as dgvoodoo (which should be compatible with your dedicated graphics) with the game. On some machines running this game, I have noticed that the built-in synchronization is less than desirable.

I have this running with my own installation running the latest version of the Sneaky Upgrade, and it seems to work well.

Sneaky Upgrader
    That's definitely something to try - but as it appears something broke between SU 1.1.5.1 and 1.1.9.1, tracking that down and fixing it would be much preferable.

Okay I did some research, that took me like 1,5h. Ok, I divide table in 3 columns: first concerning how videos are played (if their audio hurts ears and is choppy), if game is fluent when looking into darkness, and if game is fluent when looking at scenery with light. Two last I checked in the very beginning of game. This is a moment, when we start training, and see first guard under lamp infront of us. I checked it moving like three steps forward from start position, and when I looked at a guard, game was either fluent or choppy. When I turned around to dark corner game was always fluent.

Version | Movies | Darkness | Light
    1.1.5.1 OK OK OK
    1.1.5.2 OK OK OK
    1.1.6 - - -
    1.1.7 OK OK X
    1.1.7.1 OK OK X
    1.1.8 OK OK X
    1.1.9 OK OK X
    1.1.9.1 OK OK X
    NOTE: When I install 1.1.6, game don't see any SneakyTweaker changes, it runs like usual clear version of TDS.

Damn after all these updates of TDS, my videos don't get creepy chopped audio that hurt ears (Don't know what to think about it, I did my best to choose correctly options when installator updates SneakyTweaker, but it is possible that I could choose wrongly (for example that I use only update version, if I want to save savegames and settings... also I used only fat versions of installator).

If I remember good, when I started writing here (on situation when even intro videos were choppy and hurting ears), game was choppy all the time. I'll try to check it when I have time.

It seems that something bad happens between 1.1.5.2 and 1.1.7 version.
    Last edited by Ciumko; 4th Feb 2019 at 12:35.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Thanks - would you mind trying 1.1.6 once more, uninstalling the previous version first, before running the 1.1.6 installer? It would narrow things down quite a bit if we knew if 1.1.6 is affected. If you can't get the game to run from a desktop icon, browse to the game installation and in the System folder, click on T3.exe.

I tried, and when I install 1.1.6 version I also have low fps experience in areas with light (5-20fps to be precise, depend on angle). Also I have to run game through T3main.exe, because T3.exe just run usual instance of TDS.

Immediately after that I installed 1.1.5.2 and everything is just perfect and T3.exe works as well. But I wanted to check something else.

I downloaded program to show fps and I found something unbelievable. While on 1.1.6 version my fps varied from 5 to 20 fps in light, when I played 1.1.5.2 version program told I'm having vary between 25-40fps. But I think that's impossible, I've seen many games in low fps, 30 let's say and it was really easy recognizable. And in TDS I couldnt see the fluency difference between darkness (70fps) and light (25-40fps). WEIRD

Sneaky Upgrader
    Thanks - I'll check if anything stands out between 1.1.5.2 and 1.1.6 and provide you with a test version in that case.

Thank you man

Sneaky Upgrader
    Unfortunately those versions predate my moving the source code to git, so I can't easily compare them.

But one thing that stands out is that 1.1.6 is the first version to use renamed exe files. Although it wasn't the case back then, it's possible that either Windows or your graphics driver now detects the game by the name of the exe and applies some optimizations.

Try extracting these files into the System folder in your install (which must be patched with the SU 1.1.5.2). They're the same exe files as in 1.1.5.2 but hex-edited to use the exe names from 1.1.6.

After extraction, run the game by clicking on Thief3.exe and see if you then get a choppy game. You can of course still run the real 1.1.5.2 version through T3Main.exe or the shortcuts if you want to compare.

Ok, I did as you told. I checked all .exe's (on 1.1.5.2) and game was fluent whichever I used. I mean: T3.exe, T3Main.exe, Thief3.exe (prepared), Thief3Launcher.exe (prepared).

Sneaky Upgrader
    Too bad.

If you don't mind installing 1.1.9.1 again, then do so, set the log level to 'Dump' in the tweaker, disable the mods, run the game once, then find the Sneaky.log file through the Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade program group in the start menu. Either upload it somewhere and post a link (preferred) or post the contents here, in code tags. There may be something interesting in there.

Failing that, which version of Windows do you have? (For Win10 including update version, e.g. '1809'.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast