TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Garrett get's stuck for a few frames

Garrett get's stuck for a few frames

Hey all!

For a long time I was experiencing some stuttering issues in Thief Gold(at least I thought it was stuttering). I have tried many different workarounds, but I couldn't completely eliminate stuttering. So in the end I pretty much just ignored it and lived happily ever since.

A few days ago I reinstalled Thief once again, and once again I noticed this annoying frame-skipping. This time though I decided to understand what was causing this problem.

It turned out that it's not your usual micro-stuttering caused by v-sync/v-sync related settings/framepacing issues. What happens though is that whenever Garrett's coordinates match some wall coordinates he literally gets stuck for a few frames in those said areas.

Here is a video I made that better explains this issue:

If you can't really see the problem that well because of youtube compression skip to 2:36

Two days ago I started this topic on Steam forums about this issue: https://steamcommunity.com/app/21160...8024826676100/

Please read it to the end (it's not that long) to better understand what I discovered so far.

So, my question is: does anybody have any ideas how to fix it?

The only time I ever saw Garrett get stuck is when he was on a camvator and part of Garrett's avitar went into the wall. On a camvator the physics engine doesn't have any effect on Garrett so its really important to make sure the camvator stays clear of all solid terrain. Otherwise Garrett will get stuck permanently.

@ PainkilleRQ

I know the problem exactly what you show in your video and i can tell you this is normal. I've asked myself if this can ever be fixed with NewDark. I especially noticed this problem years ago during my video footage i made for the HD mod trailers.

ZylonBane
    If memory serves, this is just something the game camera does when it crosses cell portal splits. No frames are being skipped.

its not the issue i get for missions being more then my system can handle

ZylonBane
    Oh my god, nobody cares what issues you aren't getting.

Painkille, if this really bothers you so much, try adding the line small_portal_repel to cam_ext.cfg. This is documented in new_config_vars.txt, and decreases the camera bump when crossing a portal boundary.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Oh my god, nobody cares what issues you aren't getting.

Painkille, if this really bothers you so much, try adding the line small_portal_repel to cam_ext.cfg. This is documented in new_config_vars.txt, and decreases the camera bump when crossing a portal boundary.
    Thank you!

Adding small_portal_repel to cam_ext.cfg has COMPLETELY eliminated this issue. The difference is night and day really. I should've made a TTLG account ages ago...

Now excuse me, I need to go and play some Thief.

Thanks again. You really made my day!

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    its not the issue i get for missions being more then my system can handle
    Get a new computer. Alternatively, if your system RAM is not maxed out, get some more. Ideally at least 16 GB