TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Far Cry: New Dawn - Post-apocalyptic Far Cry 5 direct sequel

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Far Cry: New Dawn - Post-apocalyptic Far Cry 5 direct sequel

https://store.ubi.com/us/far-cry-new...tml?lang=en_US

Out on Feb 15th, this game is set 17 years after the "good" end of FC5.

This game introduces more lite-RPG elements, so enemies can out-level you and be bullet spongy if your weapons are lower level.

I'm a huge Ubi Far Cry fan but was going to give this a miss at launch, because I was neck deep in AC Origins. I've since finished the game and only have the The Curse of the Pharaohs DLC left to play, so I'm getting this at launch after all.

Level 10,000 achieved
    As much as I liked FC5 I must be all Far Cry'd out as I'm finding myself completely un-interested in this, and seeing now that they're introducing RPG elements ain't helping the matter.

Is enemy-leveling just part of the New Ubigame Template now? That shit is why I couldn't get into The Division or the new AC games. If every Ubigame for the next 10 years is gonna feature bulletsponge enemies that can kill you with a few hits if you happen to wander into the wrong part of the map, then sign me out.

Agreed, especially with human enemies. I hate it when "more challenging enemies" translates simply into "they can take more damage". There's little as boring as fighting bullet sponges whose only difference to earlier enemies is that they need to be shot 100x as often.

You'd REALLY hate AC Origins and Odyssey as they are 100% that. Well their level based, but the result is the same.

I'm getting on pretty well with Origins for the most part, but random settlements of bandits outleveling me and being unkillable because of it is some bullshit indeed.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Jeshibu View Post
    but random settlements of bandits outleveling me and being unkillable because of it is some bullshit indeed.
    These situations are pretty easy to avoid in both Origins and Odyssey, level ranges for each region are right there on the world map. Recommended levels are listed for each quest too in your log. Just don't go to a particular region and/do a particular quest if you're not ready yet.

It's a situation that's easily avoided, but I don't find it particularly enjoyable. I dislike having bandits that look exactly like the bandits 30 hours, that don't have any special skills or equipment, but they shrug off an arrow to the head or a hidden blade to the heart like it was a mere scratch. It's lazy, unimaginative design.

Numbers out of people's heads worked for me in Borderlands, but that's most likely because the game on the whole is deliberately cartoonish. Just seems out of place in something that's more grounded.

At this point, Rage 2 looks to me to be the more interesting Purple Apocalypse game.
    Last edited by N'Al; 16th Feb 2019 at 04:52.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    It's a situation that's easily avoided, but I don't find it particularly enjoyable. I dislike having bandits that look exactly like the bandits 30 hours, that don't have any special skills or equipment, but they shrug off an arrow to the head or a hidden blade to the heart like it was a mere scratch. It's lazy, unimaginative design.
    It's a RPG. There's only so much that they make things skill-based and/or not governed by numbers to the point where it stops being a RPG.
    Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    Numbers out of people's heads worked for me in Borderlands, but that's most likely because the game on the whole is deliberately cartoonish. Just seems out of place in something that's more grounded.
    You can display any and all HUD elements. This has been the case since FC3.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

I recommend enabling Streamer Mode to disable the really shit rap music. It's Die Antwoord and a whole lot of mumble turds.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    These situations are pretty easy to avoid in both Origins and Odyssey, level ranges for each region are right there on the world map. Recommended levels are listed for each quest too in your log. Just don't go to a particular region and/do a particular quest if you're not ready yet.
    There's level 20 (or similarly untouchable with just the experience gained from that area) bandits in Siwa (the starting area). There's a few dudes out of place like that.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

The Judge is such a shit weak character, he's always getting downed by enemies. Considering who he was in the last game the ludonarrative dissonance is ridiculous.
    There's a few dudes out of place like that.
    They're few and far in-between from my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post

At this point, Rage 2 looks to me to be the more interesting Purple Apocalypse game.
    The other key difference is that they're coming from different design spaces. Borderlands was designed from the ground to be Diablo except you're shooting enemies instead of pressing RPG hotkeys. Far Cry's design originates from open-level (NOT open world) shooters.

That said I still think that the first Far Cry was the best by a mile. The open level design did a much better job of presenting the player with problems and letting them solve that problem than did previous games and it had an AI that would do things like shooting the last location seen to make the play feel more dynamic.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Finished it yesterday morning. Short but very fun game. I might go back in a few weeks time to play the rest of the expeditions and unlock more chieves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    That said I still think that the first Far Cry was the best by a mile. The open level design did a much better job of presenting the player with problems and letting them solve that problem than did previous games and it had an AI that would do things like shooting the last location seen to make the play feel more dynamic.
    Far Cry 1 was utter garbage. The first approaching decent was Far Cry 2 and first truly great one was Far Cry 3.

Far Cry 1 & 2 had utterly broken stealth. FC1's AI had x-ray vision and bionic hitscan aiming. They could see you through several layers of shrubbery. It was artificially hard. Really poorly designed game.

Far Cry 2 was too flawed in its game design to call great. The story pretends that it has a faction system but they didn't actually code one. Everyone will try to kill you.

The game tries so hard to be immersive with its minimalist HUD and body awareness but crap game design decisions just take you out of the experience. I.e. rapid respawning outposts, weapon degrading after a few short minutes.

Crysis 1 and Warhead were the games that Far Cry 1 should've been.

FC1 was lame enough that I made it all the way to the final boss and didn't even bother to finish it. Sure, the open levels had some good design, but the linear corridor bits were awful.

That said, calling FC3 'great' seems like a major stretch to me.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by froghawk View Post

That said, calling FC3 'great' seems like a major stretch to me.
    They took all of the criticism received from Far Cry 2's questionable design decisions and finally delivered something truly compelling. Far Cry 3 is the epitome of concept iteration bearing striking gold.

• WORKING stealth for first time in the series.
    • The player's actions actually have an impact on the world. Eg by having enemy outposts that can be cleared permanently; the world is gradually depopulated of the enemy faction.
    • Diversity in wildlife including predator animals vs. a just couple grazing herbivore species in FC2. Making them meaningful to the world by including Red Dead Redemption's hunting and crafting system.

All of the daydreams that game designers and journalists of the early 00s about having emergent gameplay moments? Those are highly regular occurences in Far Cry 3+.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 27th Feb 2019 at 17:46.

bandits in Siwa
    An obvious nod to AC Origins there.
    Last edited by icemann; 1st Mar 2019 at 22:37.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    An obvious nod to AC Odyssey there.
    It's the starting region in AC Origins.

It's a RPG. There's only so much that they make things skill-based and/or not governed by numbers to the point where it stops being a RPG.
    It's an action RPG. As such, it can be as skills-based as it wants to be. The way it chooses to go for bullet/arrow/stab sponges as the main way of upping the challenge is lazy design IMO in a game that is still largely about action gameplay. (The Souls games are no less action RPGs for offering a much more interesting range of enemy behaviours than Ubisoft's range of bullet sponge-'em-ups.)

They took all of the criticism received from Far Cry 2's questionable design decisions and finally delivered something truly compelling. Far Cry 3 is the epitome of concept iteration bearing striking gold.

• WORKING stealth for first time in the series.
    • The player's actions actually have an impact on the world. Eg by having enemy outposts that can be cleared permanently; the world is gradually depopulated of the enemy faction.
    • Diversity in wildlife including predator animals vs. a just couple grazing herbivore species in FC2. Making them meaningful to the world by including Red Dead Redemption's hunting and crafting system.

All of the daydreams that game designers and journalists of the early 00s about having emergent gameplay moments? Those are highly regular occurences in Far Cry 3+.
    I feel like FC3's improvements on FC2's systems re: emergent gameplay are undercut by the overt artificiality of them. The game bombards you with tooltips, X-ray vision highlights, and hints about how you can use the systems they've put in to accomplish your goals.

FC2 is a frustrating game in its vanilla form, but with a mod or two becomes much better. I enjoyed Far Cry 3, but it felt like a much more constrained experience. I don't think I had any emergent gameplay moments on the same level as, say, misfiring an RPG in FC2, having it fall short and explode (setting the grass on fire), and fighting off mercs with my assault rifle as the fire spread and eventually consumed the hut I was trying to shoot with the RPG in the first place.

Instead, there just happens to be a tiger in a cage in the middle of the base I'm trying to take over. The game helpfully points out that I can shoot the lock, which I do, and then watch the tiger take out the encampment. At one point I worry that I might have been spotted- but I haven't, because there's a big inflating bar telling me exactly what detection level the mercs are at. It's not that it wasn't fun, it just felt more like a Skinner box and less like a simulation of an actual world.

It seems Ubisoft's gone all-in with the 'theme park' approach to open-world design, and I think their games lack that sometimes janky spark of real unpredictability that games like FC2 and STALKER have.

It's the starting region in AC Origins.
    Meant to say Origins. My bad.

The amount of times you hear Biyak (sp?) Say "I'm Biyak of Siwa" in the game. Could have made that a drinking game. Skull a shot everytime he says it. "Damn I'm drunk already".