TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Insane Thief 2 FPS drops

Insane Thief 2 FPS drops

Hi, I'm not sure why, but any time I try to play thief 2 (FM or OM), my game FPS drops heavily and makes gameplay really choppy and just overall not fun.

I'm playing on the latest NewDark Patch (1.26). I guess it's worth nothing I only extracted the NewDark.zip and the Contrib.zip from the overall package. It also does this if I try the latest version of TafferPatcher as well, or any other version of taffer patcher for that matter.

Here's an example of what I'm dealing with.

All fine and dandy at the cap...

Then suddenly BAM, shoots all the way down and becomes a slideshow. My only guess is it's something to do with drawing all the brushes, or perhaps the lighting? The mission is Raven Creek, which requires at least 1.25 to play, but as I said it'll even do this on OMs as well (Precious Cargo is the worst). I'm also on Windows 10.

Anyone able to help?

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Not much informations, screens too dark. Post Thief2.log

There are some threads about improving performance

edit cam_ext.cfg

-de-activate multisampling "multisampletype 8".
    -de-activate "d3d_disp_enable_hdr"
    -de-activate Bloom "postprocessing"
    -de-activate "d3d_disp_sw_cc"
    -de-activate "d3d_disp_enable_distortionfx"
    -activate "d3d_disp_no_rgb10_buf"

I don't have any "thief2.log" file of any type in the rootfolder I'm playing off of. And unfortunately, most of those were already disabled except one, which disabling still didn't help

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Thief2.log is always in the root folder. Maybe it's a hidden file in this case, so enable to see it in Windows. Raven Creek mission 2 has some fps dropdown, this also happens on other PC systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    Thief2.log is always in the root folder. Maybe it's a hidden file in this case, so enable to see it in Windows. Raven Creek mission 2 has some fps dropdown, this also happens on other PC systems.
    Yep, it seems to just be Raven Creek. As I said, Precious Cargo used to be really bad, but after tweaking the cam_ext for some things like anti aliasing etc, it runs perfectly fine now. It seems its just a Raven Creek issue now, which is probably understandable given all the custom things Christine chocked it up with.

Oh well, I was kinda enjoying playing it

"Raven Creek" indeed has a few spots where FPS drops down heavily. There was, I think, a short discussion on the German TTLG forums concerning the problem, but it is unlikely that someone will be able to fix it. However, it's unlikely to get worse during the missions, and should go away as soon as the player leaves one of the "bad spots". So unless it prevents you from doing anything you need to, you should try to ignore it and go on. That worked for me.