TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: trying to resize a safe object.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Wrong and wrong again. Runtime Object Shadows allows moving objects to affect your light gem; it has nothing to do with shadow generation. Force Static Shadow forces a mobile object, like a door, to cast a shadow; it has nothing to do with scaled objects.
    Then how can you explain that i have a shadow for an object when i activated these options?

ZylonBane
    Because they would have a shadow even if you DIDN'T add those properties.

You do remember that we're specifically talking about resized objects, right?

Objects with the Immobile parameter added cast shadows. The safe should have it already.

yes we're talking about resized objects which can lead to other things related, and im telling you if you change the physical dimensions in the object properties its shadow will be adjusted to its values.

Not all objetcs have shadows, i need to set sometimes those options i mention above to provide a shadow, unless there's another option more correct to provided a shadow, nevertheless with the other options i can already provide an adequate shadow to the object in matter, and that's a fact.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    im telling you if you change the physical dimensions in the object properties its shadow will be adjusted to its values.
    No, it won't. Only changing the model size changes the size of the shadow. An object doesn't even need physics to cast a shadow.

Every non-moving object should have Object System/Immobile: TRUE set in the gamesys (or placed under a hierarchy branch where it's already set). This automatically enables shadow casting on the object. Force Static Shadow is only supposed to be used on moving objects. If you're using that on everything, you're doing it wrong. Setting Runtime Object Shadows is especially wrong to set on every shadow-casting object, because it has a performance impact.
    Last edited by ZylonBane; 24th Feb 2019 at 12:31.

i use the wooden spoon for most of the modified objects, the wooden spoon by default doesn't provide shadow, so what option would you suggest me do add for a shadow without compromising the game performance?

If you use something like a table (instead of a spoon) the Immobile parameter will already be set, and you won't have to set up Frob Info so that the player can't pick up the new object. The Immobile parameter will cause a permanent shadow to appear.

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    If you use something like a table (instead of a spoon) the Immobile parameter will already be set, and you won't have to set up Frob Info so that the player can't pick up the new object. The Immobile parameter will cause a permanent shadow to appear.
    so for non-immobile objects if i want to add a shadow all i need is to go to its object system and check the immobile option?

Yes, but remember that if the player or anything else can move or destroy the object, the shadow will still be there.

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    Yes, but remember that if the player or anything else can move or destroy the object, the shadow will still be there.
    ive tried that option and it doesn't work, i will still have to use force static shadow.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    If you change the state of the Immobile checkbox, you have to ObjCast light the map again.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    If you change the state of the Immobile checkbox, you have to ObjCast light the map again.
    By doing quick optimize, right?

You don't really need to optimize but just as Russ said use Obect Cast lighting and just process Light.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    By doing quick optimize, right?
    ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH.

"To do X, you just press A."
    "So I'm supposed to press B, right?"

LOL I'm starting to get this kind of vibe here.

Lol the holy grail my favorite from Monty Pythons

"To do X, you just press A."
    "So I'm supposed to press B, right?"

chill out man and siiiiinnnng

i have the shadows working, but the way i use them is incorrect right? explain me the right process to provide a shadow to a wooden spoon if you please?

Unless there's a hidden, undocumented property like Renderer \ Wooden Spoon Shadow, there shouldn't be any difference between the spoon and any other object.

Having said that - where are you expecting the shadow to appear? If the spoon is on the table, then the table obviously won't catch the shadow, as it's an object. If the spoon is lying on the floor (or a table made of brushes) then you may not see it, if the spoon is small, due to low lightmap resolutions. Other reason for not seeing the shadow would be if the spoon is outside of the light range - not lit directly.

If that does not cover all the cases, then post an image of your spoon with the missing shadow.

PinkDot, I forgot to mention that i have many spoon objects that i modified to furniture models, i have the shadows i want, the performance is good so far, but according to ZylonBane im doing it the wrong way because im using force static shadow.

Dttirin klist oft mur mttli
    Force static shadows on a immobile object is nonsense.
    Read the NewDark documentary in the NewDark.zip (modders notes, new_config_vars). Everything you need to know about light, sunlight and shadows is there.

New Prop: Renderer->"Force Static Shadow"
    -----------------------------------------

When this property is set on objects that are NOT immobile (Object System->Immobile), they will cast shadows
    on lightmaps anyway (when doing objcast lighting). This can be useful for example so symmetrical rotating
    machinery can cast shadows.

Unna, i have the option objcast lighting within the tools menu selected, what is the other command to make this function apply to objects with immobile selected?

The other command? What do you mean? For shadow quality, adjust the Tools--Build Dialog or Rendering Parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    The other command? What do you mean? For shadow quality, adjust the Tools--Build Dialog or Rendering Parameters.
    by doing build_dlg? alright, i will test those settings. Thank you Unna!

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I think Cardia was referring to the "other command" I mentioned above, which is just to relight the level with ObjCast lighting set. You have to do that if you add Immobile to an object in order for the shadow to appear.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    I think Cardia was referring to the "other command" I mentioned above, which is just to relight the level with ObjCast lighting set. You have to do that if you add Immobile to an object in order for the shadow to appear.
    Russ that's what ive asked you above, what is the command to relight the level with ObjCast lighting?

That's just relight_level
    There's a menu entry for this or just optimize, this will do the same thing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast