TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: The Dark Project (Unity) testing

The Dark Project (Unity) testing

Hello all its been a while, I used to be a mod builder but kinda strayed from dromed a few years ago, but Iv started a new project lately porting thief to the latest engine I know (Unity). I am having a lot of fun with it, was wonder if any of you have tried it yet and if so want to work on the project as a whole? got all the mission maps to port T1 & T2 , working on objects and scripting now.
    https://ibb.co/B6HBYjG

ZylonBane
    Oh dear lord.

Level 10,000 achieved
    It's cool that you got the maps ported over quite easily, but of course setting up all the gameplay systems and AI is going to be a huge undertaking.

Zombified
    "impossible" is the word you are looking for.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Naaah it could be done. I could do it. I WOULD do it if it weren't for the small fact that it would take really long and I have absolutely no desire to do it.

If I were to remake a LGS game it would be Terra Nova, which needs a remake, unlike TDP.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Even if he does end up getting this functional and playable, its legality is dubious at best (assuming he will have to distribute some or all of the original resources with it like textures and sounds). Good luck getting a finished product out there before receiving a C&D letter from the IP holder.

Yeah it's likely you'd not be able to do this beyond as a personal project? In which case, more power to you if it's just a way to learn Unity more.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Even if he does end up getting this functional and playable, its legality is dubious at best (assuming he will have to distribute some or all of the original resources with it like textures and sounds). Good luck getting a finished product out there before receiving a C&D letter from the IP holder.
    One could create an application, that just expects Thief to be installed and read resources from the original location. In that case there shouldn't be any legal issues.

@Syi - how did you get the get the geometry into Unity?
    Did you just export world rep from Dromed and imported is as an .obj? Or have you imported it directly from a .MIS file?

Southquarter.com/fms
    Syi, your project looks interesting, but you might want to check out this thread though for some perspective. Not exactly the same thing, but similar.

https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=unreal

Mainly I was just doing it for fun and to learn unity, more of a part time hobby, and yeah that map was just an .obj dump from dromed. I have been working on code to pull apart the .miss files, but that is a different beast entirely lol. once I have some substantial progress on that project I'll document it here.

I get the skepticism for such an ambitious project, but there's already an excellent Underworld-in-Unity project created by a single person. It has some quirks, but it's fully playable and surprisingly polished.

Unity Underworld

That project skirts the C&D issue by reading, exporting and rendering all the original assets from an existing install of the game. So after you download this Unity project, you have to set directory paths to an existing install of the original game.

Exult does the same thing for Ultima VII and it's been around for well over a decade without any legal trouble.

So it's not necessarily impossible or destined for legal trouble... but I do question the need for it or purpose of it given the steady stream of NewDark updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Syi View Post
    Mainly I was just doing it for fun and to learn unity, more of a part time hobby, and yeah that map was just an .obj dump from dromed. I have been working on code to pull apart the .miss files, but that is a different beast entirely lol. once I have some substantial progress on that project I'll document it here.
    Take a look at openDarkEngine here: https://github.com/volca02/openDarkEngine

We managed to parse the gamesys and mission files properly and construct the level. You could free-roam around the map in "no-clip" mode. We abandoned the project when the original Dark Engine source was found.
    The source code is well-documented, so it might be helpful.