TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Racing sims

Racing sims

TTLG probably isn't the target audience for racing sims, and neither am I to be honest, but recently I've fallen in love with Dirt Rally. I haven't had this much fun with a racing sim since Grid (2008) and Rally Trophy nearly twenty years ago!

I had kind of wanted to play Dirt Rally for a long time, but it seemed a bit too hardcore for me. I haven't even got a wheel & pedals - I'm playing with my old X360 controller - and I was wondering if it's even possible to play the game with a gamepad. Turns out that it is, but my first impression was that it's a hopeless task! I kept spinning around and crashing into pretty much everything possible. It was so frustrating for quite a while in the beginning, and the learning curve is pretty damn steep. (Sometimes literally.) But... if you manage to get past that stage where you totally suck, that's where the fun begins! Of course, I still suck quite a bit and so far I've only been driving with the easier (? slower, at least!) 1960's cars, but I stay on the road for the most of the time now and manage to keep my car in one piece, while sometimes beating the CPU drivers. Yay! I'm starting to feel like I'm constantly learning and getting better at driving, and it's just so satisfying when I manage to maneuver through a series of curves while being in total control of the situation. Well, I suppose that's the main attraction of any sim game.

I was starting to feel a bit over-confident perhaps, but trying my luck with the Weekly Event (racing against other human players online) today brought me back to reality, but that's another story.

Are there any other Dirt Rally drivers in here, or fans of other racing sims?

Hey man. Not a fan of dirt, but I used to be a mega fan of Richard burns rally. Considered by many the best rally simulator of all times. Haven played anything rally in ages tho.

R.I.P. Richard burns!

I've heard good things about DIRT as a serious. Was curious myself.

I don't play racing games generally because, for the most part, they're games you have to get VERY into in order to be able to really have fun with. There are a few old titles I miss though. I got Need For Speed High Stakes free with a sound card back in the day, and I really miss the old Microsoft racing games. Monster Truck, Motocross, and Midtown madness were amazingly well done casual racing games.

Assetto Corsa is pretty great as a realistic sim.

Jason Moyer and David are the racing sim fanatics we've have that I know, although I don't think either have posted in a while (henke if you count trucking on a tight deadline as racing).

Most recently I've been making my own engines & cars in Automation and then driving them in BeamNG.drive, some races, but that's kind of an obscure (and glitchy) obsession of mine I wouldn't necessarily recommend for "fun".

I keep racing the Nurburgring in rFactor and the whole highway circuit in GTAV (for time; unless there's a mod for a race. I should look into that).

There are a few old titles I miss though. I got Need For Speed High Stakes free with a sound card back in the day, and I really miss the old Microsoft racing games. Monster Truck, Motocross, and Midtown madness were amazingly well done casual racing games.
    I've not played it in years, but Need For Speed: Porsche 2000 (aka Porsche Unleashed) is probably still one of the very best in the NFS series. If you enjoy the more casual driving games, but do still want some realism in the mix, it's well worth a look.

Screamer 4x4 is another more-of-a-sim-than-its-brand-indicates older classic which I really love. Quite a different game, but I always found it remarkably fun.

For racing sim games my all time favorites is the Gran Turismo games, with GT3 being my all time favorite. Though GT4 is great as well.

I'd nearly call them racing RPGs, due to all the money farming for car upgrades, ti win races and get better cars, to get upgrades etc etc.

I REALLY invested into GT3 a few years ago and got through the first 2 of the difficulty modes. Fun times. Had to use save states to get some of the licence stuff done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    I've heard good things about DIRT as a serious. Was curious myself.

I don't play racing games generally because, for the most part, they're games you have to get VERY into in order to be able to really have fun with. There are a few old titles I miss though. I got Need For Speed High Stakes free with a sound card back in the day, and I really miss the old Microsoft racing games. Monster Truck, Motocross, and Midtown madness were amazingly well done casual racing games.
    Midtown madness was so amazing back then! Driving through the city at full speed... The timed races....

I've actually been having a racing sim itch for a while so I'll check this one out :O

Level 10,000 achieved
    Dirt Rally 2 is coming out in a week and here's a pretty good video about it.

The New Zeeland stage looks nice. The Argentina stage looks insane.

The dark souls of racing games?

Level 10,000 achieved
    As a longtime Super GT watcher, let me assure you it's said ironically.

It still makes me shudder every time I see that.

DR2 looks good, I wonder if they've made the menus usable on PC. That's what ultimately kills revisiting the first one for me. These games are as close to a rally sim as we're likely to ever get post-RBR, and I'm getting old and sick of waiting for something to come along and capture that magic again. I don't completely understand why no one has taken the uncompromising realism of RBR and combined it with the event atmosphere, management, and real stages of Mobil 1 Rally.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    I don't play racing games generally because, for the most part, they're games you have to get VERY into in order to be able to really have fun with.
    I don't know. I'm not at all a racing game or car enthusiast, but I've really enjoyed Dirt Rally so far. Of course it does help if you really invest time in it, that way you'll most likely get even more out of the experience, but it's enjoyable even for a "casual racer" like me. You'll have to play with the control settings and tweak them to your liking at first though, but there are all sorts of driving assists that will make things a bit easier for you. I'm playing with a gamepad so I'm using that as an excuse to have ABS and traction control enabled, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Dirt Rally 2 is coming out in a week and here's a pretty good video about it.
    That does look good, yeah. That'll be a definite purchase for me, and it'll already be in the bargain bin once I've had enough of Dirt Rally 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    DR2 looks good, I wonder if they've made the menus usable on PC. That's what ultimately kills revisiting the first one for me.
    Wot? Unusable menus? Where? I'm genuinely confused here, the menus seem fairly logical and perfectly functional for me.

Mobil 1 Rally.
    Ooh, I have fond memories of that game, although I always called it "Rally Championship". Not only it was fun to play and felt extremely realistic back then, I also remember thinking that it looked so good that it's almost as close to photorealism as ever possible. Well, it may not look that great anymore, but it really was something different twenty years ago. The really long stages and weather/light effects were super cool too.

They probably work ok with a gamepad, with a wheel it just throws up a bunch of button numbers that are meaningless, because who the hell memorizes button numbers when you have 30 of them. Like "Go Back - Button 13" and the like. It would be nice to just have mouse/keyboard support, what with it being a PC game and all.

Dirt Rally 2 is getting Oculus Rift VR support this summer too! I guess uncle Zuckerberg threw some money at it again.

I'm starting to think that my X360 controller is severely limiting my progress in Dirt Rally. The 1960s cars are just fine as they're still kinda tame, but anything more modern and powerful I find really hard to control. The RWD cars are particularly challenging, because the range of the throttle button on my gamepad is so small that it's pretty much impossible to control it precisely enough. Too much throttle and I spin around and fly off the nearest cliff or hit a tree. Of course I'll get better once I get more experienced with those more challenging cars, but I still feel that playing with the gamepad is a rather big disadvantage.

Sooooo... Perhaps I should invest in a wheel & pedals! Nothing too fancy, because I'm not a big car fanatic or anything, and I'm not even sure if proper racing sims are my thing. The problem is that I don't know much about racing wheels. So I'm looking for something rather cheap (let's say 200 euros or less), but on the other hand I don't want any useless rubbish either. Force feedback would be really nice (maybe it's a standard thing these days?). I don't need a realistic gear stick - I suppose it would be nice, but switching gears with buttons would do just fine. What kind of features separate the rubbish wheels from the somewhat decent ones?