TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New PC for Thief FM'S advice wanted

New PC for Thief FM'S advice wanted

Hello all. I haven't been here for a long time. Still miss playing the game but the ol 1700 processor just couldn't take the graphics any longer, quite a while ago. Anyway, I want to play the game again but I started a business and the thief adventures ceased. I have kept up on downloading them, but haven't played in 5 or 6 years.

Enough rambling, on to my question.
    I need a new PC and have no idea what to buy anymore. I've been out of the loop too long. Not really into store bought complete towers. Would love to build one that will work very well and I'm not afraid to spend a little money on it. I want it to handle all that gets thrown at it. It will be used for Thief ONLY. Maybe some internet for the forum and reading, Antivirus and that's all. I'm not a pc builder, but my brother in law can do it. He's done all my machines to date.

Would anybody be willing to help me list what to get? I tried searching but didn't come up with anything. I want fast, but not 2000.00 fast, if that makes sense. It will be hooked up to an older 55 inch tv in my basement so monitor is not needed. Its going to be my birthday present to myself! If anyone would be wiling to help I would certainly appreciate it. Thank you.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    For Thief 1+2+3 you don't need a special gaming rig. But if you want to play NewDark FMs which stress your PC, a fast CPU and a good video card is recommended.

Here's a recent recommendation for a gaming PC.

That PC is an overkill for what he needs.

Any processor, any videocard, any RAM available on the market today will work fine for Thief and forum reading Save yourself some money and take what doesn't cost much.
    I would recommend an i5, 8GB RAM and a 1060. And you're set. Forever - if Thief is all you want.

I run an old dell i7 with 12GB ram. Smooth as glass.

It will be used for thief and the add on packs. T2X, things like that. As I said I haven't been in the forum for a long time. I remember using darkloader back in the day and use to be up on what to do but its been way too long to remember anything about it. I remember things like dual core processors and ways to make them work. It was the hoops you had to jump through to make the game work was my main concern. I didn't want to go purchase a processor that possibly would not work no matter what. I hope I'm explaining this correctly. I see there are installers out there for thief but haven't had the time to read through all of them.
    The original thief game isn't my main concern, my old pc does that fine(or did last time I played it) I just remember some of the fan missions brought it to its knees. And since I've been gone so long, I assumed some of the recent missions may be more taxing than the ones I have played. Since I don't really have a lot of PC knowledge I wanted to ask. Do you still think the "i5, 8GB RAM and a 1060" is sufficient. Thank you

I have a new i5 CPU with 8 GB and that runds T1/T2 with necroage and 4x MS.

Was a bit disapointed actually as on my old PC I could get 8x MS, 16x AF & bloom. I only upgrade to an i5 just to be safe, but was sure even an i3 should be able to handle a 20 year old game even if with a few bells and whistles. If I hadn't upgraded I probably wouldn't even get the 4x MS.

Not sure how it will cope with the T2 HDMod as I am waiting for TafferPatcher to update. I have a feeling I may have to lose the MS though.

As for T3 that runs fine with all the SU m,ods enabled but without MS or bllom.

Don't play many FMs but can confirm that the above holds for T2X.

Just to be 100% clear this is with integrated graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigam View Post
    I have a new i5 CPU with 8 GB and that runs T1/T2 with NecroAge and 4x MS.

The integrated graphics would be the reason that multisampling is killing your performance. While Thief and Thief 2 are fairly old games at this point, multisampling does not perform well on these integrated chipsets(on some even not at all). Your performance would likely be much better even with a fairly cheap discrete graphics card.

To the thread author, the aforementioned recommendations should suffice. Thief and Thief 2 are single-threaded programs, meaning they do not employ the use of multiple CPU threads. Deadly Shadows can technically use more than one thread, but it makes a minimal difference in performance. Therefore, a processor with a fast single-core speed would be the most desirable. Any new processor would fit this requirement and I would recommend either an Intel Core i5 made in the last decade or an AMD Ryzen 5 as a cheap option. 8 GB of memory is standard at this point and would be recommended as well. For Thief, Thief 2, Deadly Shadows, and the vast majority of fan missions, most discrete graphics cards would work. Though again for an economic and powerful option, a GTX 1050 Ti or GTX 1060 would be excellent.

Not sure how it will cope with the T2 HDMod as I am waiting for TafferPatcher to update. I have a feeling I may have to lose the MS though.
    As for this, I plan to release the new Thief 2 patcher I was speaking of on the Fan Missions Forum very soon, so this will not be an issue for much longer.
    Last edited by Jax64; 1st Mar 2019 at 11:01. Reason: added recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Cigam View Post
    I have a new i5 CPU with 8 GB and that runds T1/T2 with necroage and 4x MS.

Was a bit disapointed actually as on my old PC I could get 8x MS, 16x AF & bloom. I only upgrade to an i5 just to be safe, but was sure even an i3 should be able to handle a 20 year old game even if with a few bells and whistles. If I hadn't upgraded I probably wouldn't even get the 4x MS.

As for T3 that runs fine with all the SU m,ods enabled but without MS or bllom.

Don't play many FMs but can confirm that the above holds for T2X.

Thank you. I must embarrassingly admit that some of your words I dont understand. 4x MS? SU mod? blom? AF? Could you tell me what those are.

I fired up the old pc last night and played some old FM's and the machine ran fine but these were missions from 05. Its the later years that brought mine to its knees. I did play T2X with it years ago but can't remember what performance or lack of performance it had.

I have a machine upstairs in the house with a Ryzen 5 6 core 3850 mhz, 16g of ram but I'm not sure I can convince the wife to let me stick a graphics card in it and move to the basement.
    Back in the day I remember(if im correct) that some of the newer pcs/ operating systems were almost "too new" to run thief(or maybe I didn't read enough on the forum) That's another concern of mine. Are these multiple core processors and newer vid cards going to work. Since the game is still alive and well, I'm assuming it can be done, I just don't want to buy something that "WONT" work. Wasn't there a time that you could only update to a specific vid card driver otherwise thief had issues running? Nvidia I believe?

Thanks for any help. I really appreciate it and sorry for not knowing the PC lingo.

Quote Originally Posted by harley View Post
    Thank you. I must embarrassingly admit that some of your words I don't understand. 4x MS? SU mod? bloom? AF? Could you tell me what those are.
    Bloom refers to postprocessing used to give lights a sort of "glow" to emulate how the eye perceives bright lights. MS refers to multisampling, which is a form of anti aliasing intended to smooth jagged edges of the game's geometry. Both of these are graphics settings that can either be enabled or disabled.

Since the game is still alive and well, I'm assuming it can be done, I just don't want to buy something that "WONT" work. Wasn't there a time that you could only update to a specific vid card driver otherwise thief had issues running? Nvidia I believe?
    This was the case before, but the NewDark patch has remedied most if not all of these issues. With this patch, you should be able to run Thief on any new version of Windows and any hardware compatible with these versions of Windows, which includes all components currently recommended in this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax64 View Post
    Bloom refers to postprocessing used to give lights a sort of "glow" to emulate how the eye perceives bright lights. MS refers to multisampling, which is a form of anti aliasing intended to smooth jagged edges of the game's geometry. Both of these are graphics settings that can either be enabled or disabled.

This was the case before, but the NewDark patch has remedied most if not all of these issues. With this patch, you should be able to run Thief on any new version of Windows and any hardware compatible with these versions of Windows, which includes all components currently recommended in this topic.
    That is the news I was hoping for. I use to be up on this game several years ago, but not anymore. Thanks for the help.

I play Thief 1, 2 and 3 on an old Vista PC which I am in the process of replacing, so pretty much anything out today will play Thief just fine.

Yeaterday I placed an order for an i5, 8GB & nVidia 1060. I will be pulling out my Creative Labs X-Fi sound card and installing it into the new PC because the EAX Environmenral Surround is important to me as I can hear where sounds/voices are coming from.

Building a PC is a fun experience but can cost more than if you bought a PC off of the shelf. Some benefit are that you decide what to install, and you won't have a lot of unnecessary software installed that PC manufacturers love to dump into their PCs.

Fallen+Keeper is right, any modern hardware will do. Just make sure you get a graphics card. These sites should help you out.
    http://www.logicalincrements.com/
    https://pcpartpicker.com/

There are some FMs out there where your performance is going to tank simply because the engine can't handle everything the author put into it. IIRC the Keeper of Infinity missions were like this.
    Windows 10 Pro, i7-8700K, CLC GTX 1080ti x2, ROG Maximus X Code, 32gb DDR4 3200.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GghJQZ

Quote Originally Posted by harley View Post
    Do you still think the "i5, 8GB RAM and a 1060" is sufficient. Thank you
    That is the configuration I had 2 years ago when I actively played Thief and FMs and it performed well so I can guarantee it works fine.
    No need to bother getting an i7 for Thief, unless someone throws it at you at a major discount. Also 8GB of RAM will be more than enough. Graphics card will be the most important thing you will have to choose. I'm an NVIDIA fan, so I can only give you my opinion on them: choose a graphic card which has a number "6" in its name, which means "entry level". A 1060 will work as a charm, but also the incoming 1660 will be great (even if maybe an overkill for your needs). Stay away from 7s (heavy duty gaming) and 8s (maximum performance, highest price), even those of the 10 generation, like 1070 and 1080: those are way to much for what you need and will still be pricey even as 20 series is becoming the current standard. And stay away from any "Ti" version of the NVIDIA card, that's a kind of powerhouse you will not need for Thief.

To be honest, even a GTX 600-900s would do nicely but good old hardware is hard to find and costly, so the 1060 is the oldest one I would suggest.

P.S. Actually you can even pick up a 1050, it's a deep bottom of the NVIDIA line-up, not really made for gaming, but then again, it should eat Thief and its FMs for breakfast. As Corsair pointed out, it's easier to have performance problems with a FMs because of engine limitations than becuase of the today's hardware. Or yesterday's hardware....
    Last edited by Fallen+Keeper; 2nd Mar 2019 at 17:46.

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    Building a PC is a fun experience but can cost more than if you bought a PC off of the shelf.
    In my experience, it's usually the opposite. The cost part, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    In my experience, it's usually the opposite. The cost part, that is.
    PC manufacturers buy in bulk so its cheaper for them to build PCs than if someone bought all of the same components from a retailer. Of course it might come out cheaper to build if you choose cheaper components, and in some cases you can upgrade an existing PC by swapping out the motherboard, cpu and ram & keep the case, dvd drive, hard drive etc.

Well, that maybe goes for general computers, but I've found that a gaming computer is quite often cheaper to build. And I don't even mean those horribly overpriced Alienware computers. And yeah, keeping the old components of course helps quite a bit.

To be fair, that was also before crypto miners jacked up video card prices.

Good news about the new T2 patch.

Also AF = anisotropic filtering and SU = sneaky Upgrade, the T3 fan patch.

I agree with others you don't need anything fancy just to run the game straight, but if you want MS, AF bloom etc, that is another matter.

Built my own PC once. Never again. I remember it being a quite stressful experience.

...those horribly overpriced Alienware computers.
    Yeah, I knew it would come to this, sooner or later

Did you have bad experience with Alienware?

Not as such. Apart from my very first one, which was a used Compaq Deskpro I got for fairly cheap, I've put all my computers together myself. I know a couple of people who got one and seemed fairly happy with their purchase. But they've got money to spare anyway.

Thank you for all the responses. I do appreciate it. The original game is not my concern really. Been playing a few missions lately and clicked on Keeper Of Infinity. Evidentl yi had started it a long time ago as I had saves, but I couldnt play it. Made me dizzy try to look around.

If I do decide to build one, I'd like it to be able to do everything Thief and have it look and perform the best it can get, the fan missions, add on packs, and everything thtas related from this forum. All the mods, etc. I dont game at all, but have been hooked on this game for a long time. Ever since it came out.

How do you check what is in your PC? I right clicked on My computer, properties, and it shoes a little AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor + GHZ gb ram. All this running on XP. It appears that it has a Nvidia Geforce 7950 GT and I'm almost positive that the driver is not updated to the latest. Like I said I remember vaguely that at one point you could only use a driver to a specific version or it wouldnt work.

Is there any hope for this pc now? Or to get what I am looking for, is it time to update this pc.

I'm guessing the operating system needs updated as I cant even open youtube, or yahoo.com This website opens(using it as I'm typing) Thanks again for all the help.

windows key+e
    type "dxdiag"
    to get more informations or save the report

I got some good news on my pc(told the wife the ryzen 5 is going in the basement for thief!!!!) How do you upload images to this site? I have some pictures I'd like to upload if possible and give system specs. The ryzen pc has onboard video, I would probably need a graphics card, guessing? I have new questions now that I have a faster pc available, but now she needs one! Thank you.
    Last edited by harley; 4th Mar 2019 at 18:08.

Just save the dxdiag report as a txt file and post it, put it it code tags.

ok thanks. Ill have to do it when I get home. I just took screenshots of the 2 pcs and was going to post that.

Not as such. Apart from my very first one, which was a used Compaq Deskpro I got for fairly cheap, I've put all my computers together myself. I know a couple of people who got one and seemed fairly happy with their purchase. But they've got money to spare anyway.
    Sure, you can build a powerful machine for much less, when compared to AW, but usually the detractors of the brand either have never had a proper Alienware or were just unfortunate enough to encounter problems with the machine they bought (which can always happen). Usually though you have to take into account the superior user experience and a staggering attention to detail that you cannot match with a self-built PC. Everything, from turning on an Alienware machine to replacing a bank of RAM thanks to a masterfully engineered case architecture, everything has a great feel to it and makes part of a carefully designed experience. Even unboxing the PC itself is something that you will remember long after your initial enthusiasm has passed (also for the size of the box, it's like opening a sarcophagus with an alien body inside . My most recent Alienware is an R4 Aurora, bought in 2012. It's still running, eating for breakfast everything on today's market - granted, I've upgraded its videocard from the original 680 to the 1080Ti, but everything else is still original and still kicking.
    Last edited by Fallen+Keeper; 4th Mar 2019 at 17:14. Reason: typos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast