TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to set properly a custom torch?

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    Ok thanks Cardia. I looked at one torch last night and I noticed that it didn't have any vhots. I can add vhots, but I was wondering what kind of flame you wanted. This torch seems to be one without a flame and would probably have to be set up like OttoJ's torch with sfx.
    Yes it can be like ottoj's model, it can use the normal flame from the thief torch, you can use Ottoj's twisted flame vhots.

Once again thank you so much John.

I just edited my last post.

Also I don't know why Blender adds a bounding box to objects. On Torchula I got the same error of too many polygons, so I removed the bounding box Blender added and got it to work. I tried removing the bounding box on Torchal1 and dromed still says that they're are too many polygons.
    Last edited by john9818a; 13th Mar 2019 at 12:35.

I just edited my last post.

Also I don't know why Blender adds a bounding box to objects. On Torchula I got the same error of too many polygons, so I removed the bounding box Blender added and got it to work. I tried removing the bounding box on Torchal1 and dromed still says that they're are too many polygons.
    that's strange , did you add any new cubes to the model torchal1? because i was able to convert it to bin.file with blender, which means i cannot pass much beyond the 2000 faces, can you reduce its faces with anim8tor?
    The model loads well in my dromed. But i remmebr the model initially had too many faces, and i reduced them right in the limit of 2000.

I added two cubes, but I'll look tonight and see if I can get the faces down again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post

That's strange, i was able to load the torch with two cubes. anyway the object is near the limits allowed by NewDark regarding faces/polygons...so reducing a bit the faces might do the trick.

Well I was confused about how much larger the file size of the .bin compared to the original... About 30k bytes larger, and I was able to load the original too. After work tonight I'll look at it more.

John , any news regarding the torch. I found a way to have a torch in dromed with a seperated flame to be extinguished by a water reception setting. it works well, i set a reception to destroy the flame with water reception. I wonder thought if i have to save gamesys to keep that setting active.

My new pc came in, and yesterday I was copting my software from old to new. I'll work on it again tonight. One torch is ready so I'll post a link to it (after I wake up )

My new pc came in, and yesterday I was copting my software from old to new. I'll work on it again tonight. One torch is ready so I'll post a link to it (after I wake up )
    Alright , those are good news. Take your time.

First Torch

Ok Cardia this is the angled torch so the flames will be rising up through the edge of the torch. Please let me know if you need the vhots moved.

First Torch

Ok Cardia this is the angled torch so the flames will be rising up through the edge of the torch. Please let me know if you need the vhots moved.
    the vhots are well centered but i don't know why the torch has no texture, i thought by having the texture name that would do the trick. I should have send you its texture in the first place, here they are:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vvJ...ew?usp=sharing

when you opened the files in 3ds format they didn't have a texture name set? or the texture mapping already ready?

the texture for this torch is names "torchSpecular".

ZylonBane
    Two pages and I still have no idea what the difference is supposed to be between "centered" and "well centered".

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Two pages and I still have no idea what the difference is supposed to be between "centered" and "well centered".
    I don't know in Engish but in portuguese we say either well or badly centered , or just centered, but if in english centered means already well positioned then it's something new i learn today , here

https://translate.google.com/?hl=pt#...bem%20centrado

https://translate.google.com/?hl=pt#...&text=centrado

The 3ds file has the texture listed but I don't know if Anim8or keeps the uv mapping data if the texture is missing. Before I used bsp the .e file still referenced the texture, and I added PHONG to it before saving the .e file. When I get home I'll download the texture. I think I would have needed it anyway to make changes to the other torch.

When we say centered its not meant to be vague. Otherwise we might say off-center but saying well centered sounds redundant. It might be because the Portugese to English meaning isn't exact.

Yes, i have to watch again more English movies to keep my English in shape , for two years i watch mostly french movies and series, and even with video games when playing them i change their language to french version.

It was dumb of me not send you the textures along with the models, i hope you won't have to do the mapping texture manually, i think that must be not easy.

I was able to load the texture onto one of the torches but I need texture torchhol for the other one. I won't have to re-UV map them.

I was able to load the texture onto one of the torches but I need texture torchhol for the other one. I won't have to re-UV map them.
    both textures are included in the zip file i sent you. for the model "torchhol" the texture is "torchSpecular".

You're right Cardia. Both were on the hard drive. I loaded the .bin versions into dromed and the textures loaded as well with the correct UV mapping, but when I load the .3ds versions the texture mapping is lost. Did you use blender to convert the files to .3ds?

You're right Cardia. Both were on the hard drive. I loaded the .bin versions into dromed and the textures loaded as well with the correct UV mapping, but when I load the .3ds versions the texture mapping is lost. Did you use blender to convert the files to .3ds?
    yes i used Blender to convert them into 3ds. file. i thought the file would be saved along with the texture name.

Did you have any success using the Dark Exporter I linked to?

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    Did you have any success using the Dark Exporter I linked to?
    Not yet, im not sure i will be able to understand the steps to install it, but i found a way to set up torches with waterstim receptons destroying the flame that is not linked to the torch.

I might try the Dark Exporter too because bintoe chokes on larger bin files.

I think you mean BSP, but the Dark Exporter uses that program (along with N3ds2e).
    Its advantage over the Static Model Exporter is that it keeps vhots intact rather than combining them with the rest of the mesh.

When I ran bintoe.exe the resulting .e file was incomplete. On one of Cardia's torches the .e file stopped partway through line 66 of the parts section. I was never able to get a good .e file to use on eto3ds so Cardia sent .3ds files generated by blender. The problem now is that the uv mapping is lost.

When I ran bintoe.exe the resulting .e file was incomplete. On one of Cardia's torches the .e file stopped partway through line 66 of the parts section. I was never able to get a good .e file to use on eto3ds so Cardia sent .3ds files generated by blender. The problem now is that the uv mapping is lost.
    It's alright John , please i don't want you to waste so much time on those torches, i will set them up with water receptions, if i knew this method before i wouldn't have created this threat , yesterday for example i learned finally how to do transparent textures in gif. format, which will allow me to replace the png textures, if i knew this along time ago i would have used them in my last mission "FTM life" which is filled with png textures with transparencies , using gif. format allows a better performance and allows that some objects renders perfectly with no transparent problems like i have with plants and trees in "FTM Life" , no need to set 1.00 transparency with gif format.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12