TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to set properly a custom torch?

That's one of the things I like about dromed. There is always another way to make something work.

I came up with this idea using water stim has Rsoul tought me alot of ways to set things using stim reception/reaction during my mission "Religious Conflict" . The torches work like a charm :

Looks good Cardia! I used Jason Otto's torch which look similar to yours in LS2pt2 and the result was good.

Now make the flame bitmaps!

Quote Originally Posted by gamophyte View Post
    Now make the flame bitmaps!
    I have it already for candles, i saw other custom torch flames bitmaps, but i prefer to keep the ones from dromed.

Just to be clear it's not animated, it's easy peasy rotating bitmaps like how most game do it.
    Like how I've done mine here: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd00i5Qg..._web_copy_link

Let me know if you want a copy of my setup. (ignore how the flame is floating above, I've moved it since then)

Just to be clear it's not animated, it's easy peasy rotating bitmaps like how most game do it.
    Like how I've done mine here: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd00i5Qg..._web_copy_link

Let me know if you want a copy of my setup. (ignore how the flame is floating above, I've moved it since then)
    wow! it's amazing,i never saw a flame so realistic for dromed. where can i get it? but that means i have to change all flames right?

Would like to see that type of flame added in torches for Thief 1 and 2 and also for braziers and fireplaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    wow! it's amazing,i never saw a flame so realistic for dromed. where can i get it? but that means i have to change all flames right?
    Well okay, let's think about this. In my city project, where this is from, I made a new SFX object, then linked to it from my torch instead of the usual particle SFX that you see with the normal torch. I did this in case I didn't like it, I wouldn't mod the original.
    The issue I found that the "hierarchy op" button for the change didn't work. As it would normally push all changes to children and objects placed already. This is because if I recall, you can't do "hierarchy op" with links. So in your case, if you love the setup, as you demo it before saving, then just replace the normal sfx object's attributes. IE, if it's way better than OM, which I think it is, who cares to modify the original SFX object. I believe this way, all of your torches will be updated in game. I haven't tested though.

Quote Originally Posted by bassoferrol View Post
    Would like to see that type of flame added in torches for Thief 1 and 2 and also for braziers and fireplaces.
    I mean yeah. I think this was done for the HD mod, not sure. But like Zylon says, I dunno why authors are not using bitmap fires, it's really the best way to make flames. I will post my setup and share the bitmaps as well in a while. I'm at work now.

I don't mind changing flame by flame to have that new one, can you share a download link? and what are the settings you used for your bitmap in dromed?

So first grab this zip with the bitmaps: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pC...HrSssR7ggpfNtS
    Place them, in your root bitmap folder (eg C:\Thief2Edit\bitmap)

Then mod your OM fire particles TorchFlameYellow (-4777) to be this instead:

Then mod your OM smoke particles TorchFlameSmoke (-4778) to be this instead:

I was still testing so the names are whatever. You can rename them. I would have to look at who made the flame omg as I didn't write down where I got them, I was trying many from many places before settling on it, but I know they were free. I will have to look it up. I did mod both png a bit to make them work.

Please post a video of result in case I'm missing some other setting deep somewhere that I forgot. I don't think I am though.

Edit: It's the growing spinning as it disappears that make this look so good. You can experiment with your own pufts of flames PNGs you find.

the textures you sent me as no animation, ive tried to followed the instructions above and i still have a torch flame but with different colors.

They aren't animated textures, it's a bitmap, fired by the particle launcher. Are you seeing my two images above with the settings for the particle launcher?

Go line by line, don't glance, look at the settings again, you likely didn't put in "bitmap disk" under "particle render type"

Im not being able to set the same values in the colors, how did you configure them in the palette option?

Maybe it would be more simple to have a animated texture, like i have for the candle flames.

Wait, so update me, you have the flame working or not? Please screenshot your Particles dialog, like I did, to show me what you have.

And no, you would need tons of frames to make up for what this effect can do, and, it won't look as good. Again it's the illusion of the spinning png that make it bite at the air so much like fire does. It jitters as well so you cannot seem to ever notice a loop.

edit: also screenshot what the flame looks like, also, clone your whole torch and move the new one, does all the right settings finally show for the new clone?

what the hell is this new ttlg forums interface, i can't do almost nothing now.

Gamophyte i was able to set up the flame, however its scale is a bit small for the torch, how do i increase it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV8_rXloujg

Actually that scale and placement looks good! I haven't changed the size in a long time but I think it's where it says "particle scale". but you don't want it looking like a bonfire

I should say also, that my torch had a separate vhot above for the smoke to attach to, but it was just a inch away figuratively. I never even saw it on the same vhot but it looks good to be honest.

Yeah, but how to see this implemented in Thief 1 and 2?
    I have no idea of Dromed and it looks that those flames and fires will have to be hardcoded in every mission or at least in a dml or something and thus taking a lot of time.
    Or not?

i wasn't able to set the same palette colors values as you did in your flame, but i use similar colors to your flame configuration. i will try to increase a bit the flame scale. Thank you gamophyte. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by bassoferrol View Post
    Yeah, but how to see this implemented in Thief 1 and 2?
    I have no idea of Dromed and it looks that those flames and fires will have to be hardcoded in every mission or at least in a dml or something and thus taking a lot of time.
    Or not?
    I don't know too much about dmls, but yeah the concept shoukd be to where you can do my settings instead of OM and gave the pngs too. I would def do this for a hd cannon(sp?) mod.

@cardia, oh maybe the selection is the dromed toolkit, not sure. I'd have to see a screenshot your dialog box.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123