TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to set properly a custom torch?

How to set properly a custom torch?

O have this new model torch, when i change the dromed torch model to this new custom torch i can't have the flame well positioned, the same happens to other new torch models, do i have to edit the torch in blender or is there a way to have the flame right centered in dromed?:

It's possible to set things up in Dromed but editing the object in Blender is much simpler.

You need to create two small objects (cubes will suffice) at the desired location of the flame. One of them should be called @h01 and the other @h03. They each need a very simple material (no texture needed, just a plain material)

@h01 causes the light to be emitted from that point, and @h03 is what the flame particles are looking for.

For example the torch from rose-cottage, how was it edited in dromed so that the flames stays above ? ive be using normal torches rendered in invisible mode and then i place a custom torch in its place, however i have reach the limit of bushes so i need to us the torch itself modified. im not sure how i would add those cubes in blender, but in Dromed how can i keep the flame well centered?

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    It's possible to set things up in Dromed but editing the object in Blender is much simpler.

You need to create two small objects (cubes will suffice) at the desired location of the flame. One of them should be called @h01 and the other @h03. They each need a very simple material (no texture needed, just a plain material)

@h01 causes the light to be emitted from that point, and @h03 is what the flame particles are looking for.
    I did as you said, but all i got in the end is a torch with a cube above:

i was able to center the flame using the boxes from the twisted torch by Ottoj, howver i am having problems with the torches rendering, when i approach them they disappear in certain perspectives:

How can i fix them rendering problem?

ZylonBane
    Looks like they were exported with a screwed-up bounding box. Turn on show bounding boxes in DromEd.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Looks like they were exported with a screwed-up bounding box. Turn on show bounding boxes in DromEd.
    Yes it was the only way i could have the the flame well centered was to have them out partially out of the bounding box. Ive been trying to fix, but i don't know how set properly a torch in Blender.
    Last edited by Cardia; 11th Mar 2019 at 18:52.

Ah, so you offset the torch in Blender so that the burning part was just below 0,0,0. That's bound to cause visibility problems.

The problem in the second screenshot seems to be caused by the vhot objects not being named properly (or perhaps you merged them into one mesh before exporting).

Here's a very crude torch with the two vhots set up correctly. Note that in Blender they are separate meshes:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/sc382...torch.zip/file

Ah, so you offset the torch in Blender so that the burning part was just below 0,0,0. That's bound to cause visibility problems.

The problem in the second screenshot seems to be caused by the vhot objects not being named properly (or perhaps you merged them into one mesh before exporting).

Here's a very crude torch with the two vhots set up correctly. Note that in Blender they are separate meshes:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/sc382...torch.zip/file
    I've loaded your object, i eliminated your torch and placed a custom torch in its place with your two cubes above, but it doesn't work :

I have the two cubes above the torch in game mode:

And your torch doens't work either, it is displayed with 2 cubes above:

How are you exporting it?
    If you list each step (including which export plugin you use), the cause of the problem may become apparent.

edit: And have a look at your export settings, if there are any, in case there's an option for combining meshes. If you see anything like that, turn it off.

The @h01 and @h03 have to include the name of your base object. Actually only the first two letters are used, so if your torch base object or mesh is Torch then the vhots would be @h01Torch and @03Torch. Otherwise they aren't associated with your object as vhots and are visible as part of the base mesh. The default torch in Thief2 uses Cylinde for the base object and @h01Cylinde and @h03Cylinde for the vhots.

I noticed in Anim8or that the torch and two vhots were grouped together but as Robin said they are/should not be combined together as a single mesh.

How are you exporting it?
    If you list each step (including which export plugin you use), the cause of the problem may become apparent.

edit: And have a look at your export settings, if there are any, in case there's an option for combining meshes. If you see anything like that, turn it off.
    i didn't touch anything particular, ive open the file you gave me and save it in a normal way like i do with other objects:

I create a torch in dromed and change to the your torch model, and the result is the two small cubes above the torch.
    Last edited by Cardia; 12th Mar 2019 at 04:45.

John ive Renamed Rsoul torch @h01 and @h03 to @h01Torch and @03Torch as his torched is named "torch". But i still get no results in game mode, the cubes are still above and the flame in the middle of the object model.

I opened the thief 2 torch in blender, tied to use a custom torch in its place, using the vhot elements above, apparently i have to link the object to these meshes, but i don't know how to do it.
    Last edited by Cardia; 12th Mar 2019 at 05:13.

I tried using Blender in the past but I ran away from it.

In Anim8or I would just select the object and two vhots, and then click on Group in the dropdown menu.

John if you can updated these two custom torches with Anim8or i'll be grateful:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S1d...ew?usp=sharing

because ive been trying so many things in blender and the result is always the same.

Ok I'll look at them this evening.

Unfortunately that export plugin doesn't seem to support vhots. In the code I see quite a few references to vhot, so I don't know if the lack of support is a bug or a known limit, or if neymax's intention is solely to support objects with a single model.

I use Elindir's Dark Exporter:
    (version 2.3 is the latest and works up to Blender 2.79)
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/dar...lender%202.64/

The documentation isn't available, which is unfortunate. It uses the LGS programs N3ds2e and BSP. You'll probably have them in your T2 folder (maybe a subfolder, you'll have to search for them).

When you install the plugin it creates a config file where you should set default paths. To find the file go to t %appdata%\Blender Foundation\Blender\[version number]\config\scripts
    (note that %appdata% is shorthand way of telling windows to find your Application Data folder, wherever it is).

Open dark_exporter_conf.txt. See this post for an example of how to set it up: https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthre...=1#post2157992
    (note the double \ characters to separate folders).

The value of autodel should be true, otherwise you'll get temporary files left behind and they'll clutter things up.

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    Ok I'll look at them this evening.
    Thank you so much John, if it wasn't for the fact that i'm a bit tight with brushes limit i would just simply use a normal torch invisible and then place the custom torch in its place.

Robin, thank you for the download, i will try to install that pluggin and see if i can make it run, if i manage to follow well those steps

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    John if you can updated these two custom torches with Anim8or i'll be grateful:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S1d...ew?usp=sharing

because ive been trying so many things in blender and the result is always the same.
    I'm not able to convert these to .e files. I tried three different versions of bintoe.exe and each one crashed. Do you have either the .e files or the 3ds versions?

Edit: I downloaded Robin's torch and converted it to .bin using n3ds2e and bsp, and it works fine in Thief2. Also the vhots are set up correctly already.
    Last edited by john9818a; 12th Mar 2019 at 20:48. Reason: added new info

@h01 causes the light to be emitted from that point, ...
    Is this really necessary? I'd change the light's offset value instead, which is BTW too low for most lamps in dark.gam ...
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

I was able to import into Blender and then Export to 3ds.

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    I was able to import into Blender and then Export to 3ds.
    Here john, ive convert them into 3ds files:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19kL...ew?usp=sharing

Ok thanks Cardia. I looked at one torch last night and I noticed that it didn't have any vhots. I can add vhots, but I was wondering what kind of flame you wanted. This torch seems to be one without a flame and would probably have to be set up like OttoJ's torch with sfx.

Edit: ok I have one torch set up with two vhots, but on the second torch Torchal1 dromed says there are too many polygons.
    Last edited by john9818a; 13th Mar 2019 at 12:26.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast