TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thief II: The Metal Age 20th Anniversary Contest - Mar 23, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    Welcome to TTLG and very glad to know you've decided to step in. Whatever else this community is, it's enthusiastic about new mission makers. We're very happy to have you. Best advice? Leave a good amount of time to have your mission tested which you can do at shalebridgecradle. And, yes, we do wish you luck.
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind

Is there anybody, who can help a entire newbie in the matter of FM and is speaking german. perhaps he would be so kind to contact me via pn

Hi!

I've been playing thief 2 for a looooong time, and I have an installation of Thief (GOG)/Taffer Patcher (latest) that works pretty well with the original game and other fan missions, but for some reason, it seems that all the missions on this thread (that I downloaded from the google drive) are missing textures/scripts... (which they are not, i presume)

Some objects are invisible, some walls are black, NPCs are invisible, I cannot interact with doors, I cannot use my items/weapons...

Am I missing something?

Thank you very much, have a nice day.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    There are no missions to play here. This is an announcement/discussion thread. Guess you mixed it up with this contest
    https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149369
    The Dark Project 20th Anniversary Contest
    Install Thief Gold+NewDark to play the missions.

Oh yeah my bad, I stupidly confused Thief/Thief II, I thought this was the first thread of a T2 FM competition and the other was its results...

So that's why the missions don't work properly, thank you, I'm just going to install T1 and wait another year for this one's results!

I'm assuming that using custom models to replace terrain to save on cells is against the rules (e.g. replace a terrain pyramid roof with the equivalent, same-textured shape as a model)? I started working on something but it got too big and I've hit the cell limit. If not I'll just release it separate to the contest.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Nope, you can only use original models modified to change the textures, no custom model files.

Yeah figured as much. It's not a mission I can easily split in two either. I reckon I'll just try and stick to the stock-T2 style but not worry about adhering to the rules, and just release it when it's done irrespective of the contest.

Distant Quasar
    Thanks, Yandros - you've sucked me back into the abyss of DromEd. The distant completion date gives me the five months I'll need to remember how to make a mission :-)
    - eep!

Quote Originally Posted by eepcat View Post
    Thanks, Yandros - you've sucked me back into the abyss of DromEd.
    Reasons to get excited, folks!
    Great news eepcat. I will be looking forward to this mission!

So excited for this! I've always wanted to make my own FM and looking at the length of time for this contest I think I'm going to try my hand with this. Hopefully a year is enough time for make a little something.

Quote Originally Posted by Psych0sis View Post
    if you want to stay vanilla as possible, do custom selection and only select Dromed Level Editor

I forgot to check it off for the picture but you get what I mean.

I used this for a while too. It's good but recently I noticed I did not have a schema folder anywhere, though maybe it's not supposed to be visible? I remember always having one in the past, but it's been a long time since I actually did an installation from scratch.
    Does this mean if I use the current version of Thief II I have with all the patches and made an entry with it, it could get disqualified? What would be a good setup for making an FM, should I have a separate install of Thief II?

It won't be disqualified if you don't package anything custom with the mission, but it might mean, for example, that all your texture alignments are slightly off when viewed with stock textures because you've been building with a texture pack.

Yeah I would highly recommend that you not install any texture packs etc. in the installation folder where you will be working on a contest mission. That way you will create and see what the people playing your mission see.

Also, you don't have a year any more, there is only 6 months left.

Ah OK, that makes sense and I better get started with only 6 months left.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Plenty of time to come up with a mission, but you'll probably want to reel in any huge ambitions. A small to medium sized level would be ideal at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Plenty of time to come up with a mission, but you'll probably want to reel in any huge ambitions. A small to medium sized level would be ideal at this point.
    Fixed

Darn, guess I should scrap the 2-hour extravaganza of a mission I had planned as my first mission for this. But definitely will keep the remaining time in mind in regards to mission size.

@Yandros
    I cancel the Contest, i have other Plans with my FM. I will release my FM Next Year in Summer.

Sorry to hear it, but we will all look forward to the mission when it does get released.

damn, the contest has been cancelled? Thanks a lot terra!

Master Builder 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Psych0sis View Post
    damn, the contest has been cancelled? Thanks a lot terra!
    Funny, but just so no one takes you seriously, no, the contest has not been cancelled.

ROLL CALL!

Seeing as how we are over halfway through the time period, I'm asking all authors working on entries to post here or PM me to let me know so I can get a rough head count of where we are.

Hello

Hi

Here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast