TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: UPDATED: Thief II: The Metal Age 20th Anniversary Contest - Mar 23-27, 2019

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I wouldn't say "at latest" since it's always possible something could happen to delay it. But it's also possible it will be closer to 1200 UTC than 1800.

I have 3 screenshots from an anonymous author who is not included in the list I posted last week (which I have been updating by the way).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anon01.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	2575

Name:	Anon02.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	2576

Name:	Anon03.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	2577

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    So most likely on Mar 24 sometime between 1200 and 1800 UTC.
    Yeah, let's try to get it right this time. I'm trying to cover this epic event in my country, so hopefully the contest runners have managed expectations properly.

With the horrible COVID-19 all over the world right now, the timing for some new Thief 2 fan missions to be released next week couldn't have come at a right time to get our minds off the pandemic that's making people panic so much during this difficult time. I look forward to playing these FMs for many hours!

Damn right. The upcoming missions will allow you all to escape to The City for a little while and will be a nice break from reality. So far we have 3 submissions with more to come and like the previous contest some of them are new classics.

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    Damn right. The upcoming missions will allow you all to escape to The City for a little while and will be a nice break from reality. So far we have 3 submissions with more to come and like the previous contest some of them are new classics.
    Exactly, I need some new Thief FMs right now in my life to get me through this difficult time. Good thing is, I don't have to wait too much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    to escape to The City for a little while and will be a nice break from reality
    Escape to the City contaminated with zombies, ghosts and crazy religious fanatics. Yeah, it would be a very nice break from reality

This contest arrives at the right moment where i am forced to remain confined at home most of the time, these missions will help me to pass time

At this point I have 3 submissions and am expecting between 9 and 12 depending on a few people who might not make it or from whom I have not heard. I have tested and/or helped with quite a few and there are some instant classics in the mix, as well as some very solid smaller missions. A fantastic collection to be sure.

Hopefully if things work out well, for the number of Thief 2 FMs to be released. I would be expecting over 20 new fan missions like the previous contest from 2 years ago. But, will just wait a few more days to see where this all goes from here. Keeping my fingers crossed!

It's highly unlikely we will see 20+ missions like the last contest, for a few reasons (two year-long contests almost back to back breeds fatigue, some authors who participated in the previous contest preferred to work on other stuff, etc), but the turnout should still be very good.

Without giving out a spoiler for the number of newly released fan missions, I'm sure it will be a good amount of hours and hours of gameplay regardless on how many FMs are actually coming out for this contest. Besides, even outside the contest. I still see new fan missions coming out periodically on the Dark Fate site which keeps the game in good spirits for the foreseeable future.

My no-longer-eligible-for-the-contest mission is also in the works, but it'll be a little bit later than the contest deadline.

Really looking forward to this, whenever it lands. Thanks for all the hard work, everyone who contributes!

I would suggest that next time, we take Central European time as deadline, we guys from the future always have to wait for you U.S citizens from the past

seriously, as said before, this covid 19 ( they should have called it covid 20AC) has at least one good thing..looking forward to the missions

Edit: oh I totally overlooked the screenshots yandros posted above...again it looks more like T1 as many screenshots I saw so far which worries me a bit. To be honest, many of the T120AC missions didn't look like typical T1 missions as well, but since I'm way more into T2 this time I care alot more. On the other hand, if the missions are as entertaining as the last ones....who cares, at least great authors had some reason to deliver something
    Last edited by Supremcee; 22nd Mar 2020 at 16:56.
    Thief Podcast - Inside at Last Megathread >>> https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149898

I do hope that the pack of new missions will entertain us and keep us busy for a while. I also have a secret (well, not anymore) hope that the contest generally won't be that undead-heavy like the Thief 1 anniversary contest was. Don't get me wrong - those were some quality missions. But if you played them after each other, especially in a certain order, you felt like you are constantly in the Bonehoard for 4 missions now - which can be a bit much even for undead fans. I hope the majority of the missions will have that typical T2 mansion, bank, or office building vibe, or anything besides the T1 styled undead ones.

Of course, I'm even glad that after 20 years there's a strong community.

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    I do hope that the pack of new missions will entertain us and keep us busy for a while. I also have a secret (well, not anymore) hope that the contest generally won't be that undead-heavy like the Thief 1 anniversary contest was. Don't get me wrong - those were some quality missions. But if you played them after each other, especially in a certain order, you felt like you are constantly in the Bonehoard for 4 missions now - which can be a bit much even for undead fans. I hope a lot more to that typical T2 mansion, bank, or office building vibe.

Of course, I'm even glad that after 20 years there's a strong community.
    Agreed. If this is a real homage to T2 then there should be no undead or at least keep them to a bare minimum

Quote Originally Posted by Basso The Boxman View Post
    there should be no undead
    Perhaps no undead taffers, but plenty of dead ones.

Exactly, for the type of fan missions I would be expecting to play are your typical Thief 2 mansion/estate, banks, Mechanist-related facilities, warehouses and some city missions. Keeping the tradition alive with these elements makes the game feel like a brand new Thief 2 Gold-like expansion pack added to the original base game. P.S. Despite Thief 2 Gold never being officially released, we still get something great here.

IMPORTANT

After discussion, in light of the current global pandemic and its effects on everyone, skacky and I have decided to extend the deadline slightly following these rules:

• The absolute deadline is pushed out 4 days, and is now 11:59PM PDT (UTC-7) on Mar 27. This is Saturday morning in Europe.
    • Any author who has already submitted their mission may inform us that they wish to use the extra time for final testing or polish, and then resubmit by the new deadline.
    • Any author who is done may go ahead and submit, or inform us that they do not wish to use the extra time if they have already submitted. Once an author commits to submitting, if it is after the original 3/23 deadline, they may not retract that and make additional changes, so be certain when you send us the release version.
    • All missions submitted by the original deadline will be released on the original schedule, sometime on 3/24. Missions released between then and the new 3/27 deadline will be released as soon as possible after they are submitted.

This means you will still probably get some missions on the original release schedule, and will get a few more in the days that follow. Any authors who have any questions at all, please PM or email me, or post here if it is something which could pertain to everyone.

I dunno. I say surprise me. The less preconceived ideas about how the missions will look, the better. Undead or not. Good missions is what I hope for.

This is a smart move, great idea! In case some authors need more time to finalize and polish their fan missions. This will help them make sure everything in their FMs are working correctly without error. The delay won't mess anything up, it's just going to give them more time. Wishing everyone for their hard work!
    Last edited by mcmike1489; 23rd Mar 2020 at 00:20.

I know of some people who had a lot of their time/attention drawn away from working on their mission due to this current state of affairs. I would say a year /should/ be enough time to work on a mission, even if sometimes stuff happens, but yes this is a very special case. I'm totally fine with it, and I believe some deadlines for previous competitions have been moved back before so it's whatever.

I'll still be releasing my mission this tuesday, and I know for sure a few others will as well, so don't think you're getting a bit blue-balled here . Good luck to everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Psych0sis View Post
    I know of some people who had a lot of their time/attention drawn away from working on their mission due to this current state of affairs. I would say a year /should/ be enough time to work on a mission, even if sometimes stuff happens, but yes this is a very special case. I'm totally fine with it, and I believe some deadlines for previous competitions have been moved back before so it's whatever.

I'll still be releasing my mission this tuesday, and I know for sure a few others will as well, so don't think you're getting a bit blue-balled here . Good luck to everyone!
    Besides, I think it's better for the authors to release their respective fan missions in different individual days periodically instead of releasing all of them in just one single day. It gives us a slow build of new FMs to play with as time goes by.

Perhaps many of us in 5 or 6 days wonīt be alive to play and finish the missions.
    Didnīt you think of this when it was decided to extend the deadline?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast