TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Psychological horror, your top favorites?

Psychological horror, your top favorites?

Hello taffers!

Have been enjoying tons of fan missions and while some are really creepy, are there any fan missions not just having a snippet of horror elements, but fully dedicated to be full blown psychological horror in theme and story telling?

I have enjoyed the likes from A Night in Rocksbourg, The Drymian Codex, The Black Frog, The 7 Sisters and so much more, but none of them really scare me for having re-played so many times by now.
    Perhaps there are some fan missions that I am simply not aware of which feels very immersive with psychological horror elements, what psychological horror to me means is when something drives your imagination vivid to point you get scared from sounds and looks alone, good example of that is the sewers from Rocksbourg series and the crypt in The Drymian Codex, Haunted Cathedral from Thief 1 and Shalebridge Cradle from Thief 3.

So I am curios to hear from fellow taffers some horror recommendations, does not matter if its something old and dated as I could then just run it through to see if it works under NewDark 1.27, seems I always find fan missions that I never played before.

P.S. Blood, gore and outright violence does not scare me, but I do enjoy those aspects.

Sincere regards Ghostly

The Rose Cottage by Saturnine is a must play, and Sensut's campaigns are all very good!!

Master Builder 2018
    I would suggest Eclipsed by HipBreaker. Suspense is prolonged and keeps building in this one. Not everyone liked the ending, but it's a great one for atmosphere and suspense horror.

These four also popped into mind:

A Better Tomorrow by DrK
    The Unseen by Skacky
    Deceptive Perception 2: Phantasmagoria by Yandros and William the Taffer
    Coaxing the Spirit by Dale_

Happy Taffing
    Last edited by pukey brunster; 7th Dec 2019 at 12:15. Reason: Keep thinking of new ones to add.. I'll stop now

Master Builder 2018
    Not sure these all qualify as psychological horror, but they should fit the bill more or less.

Lost Among the Forsaken by DrK from the recent TDP 20th Anniversary Contest
    The second mission from Nicked's Catacombs of Knoss, also from that contest
    The Inverted Manse, an old classic, though not so much psychological
    Rowena's Curse, by Lady Rowena
    Several of Haplo's missions should qualify, I would think, though the names escape me at the moment. But all his missions are worth playing.

The Rose Cottage, A better tomorrow and Rowena's Curse I 've already played dozen times too, but all the rest sounds very interesting even had no idea DrK squeezed out another one called Lost Among the Forsaken.

Will be glad to try anything even if it doesn't fall under psychological horror as the matter is very subjective from person to person, feel free to add if anyone reading comes up with more to add and thank you going to try every single one that gets mentioned.

Bloodstone Prison
    Cult of the Resurrection
    Curse of the Ancients
    Events in Highrock
    The Mystery Man

all for Thief Gold

The second mission of the "Breaking the Stone" campaign constantly made me afraid to even take a step forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmauden View Post
    The second mission of the "Breaking the Stone" campaign constantly made me afraid to even take a step forward.
    But not because of "psychological horror" but because of overpowered enemies.

Maybe it's been too long since I played it, but I'm pretty sure the second mission in "Breaking the Stone" didn't have any enemies.

It does have at least one: the haunt in the area, inspired by the "Masks" OM. And indeed, I also deem him is a bit overpowered.

But besides the haunt, I think there are no other enemies.

My mistake: I was talking about 3rd mission.

Honestly i think Lord Alan's Factory gets pretty uncomfortable and unsettling, even if it doesn't seem like it from the start. Worth giving it a shot.

I cannot find download link for Lost Among the Forsaken by DrK neither from Thiefmissions nor the site Brethen hosts, my memory serves me poorly seems the only one I have not played out of these recommendations are the Thief 1 missions and Coaxing the Spirit which was very unique on its own, Breaking the Stone is very memorable with its twists too but think I will try out Lord Alan's Factory soon, remember it so vaguely.

I wonder if playthrough video's with zero commentaries would be appreciated, have considered doing that on youtube but I have not signed my membership there yet.

I found one unique fan missions with some creepy atmosphere to it, Journey into the Underdark by Steffen Lehnert ( intruder ) has some lord of the ring vibes to it.

P.S. FenPhoenix's playthrough videos are amazing, he sounds like a hammerite mage with his voice accent.
    Last edited by Ghostly; 12th Dec 2019 at 10:32.

Master Builder 2018
    Lost Among the Forsaken is a TDP 20th Anniversary Contest mission. You can download it from Southquarter (Brethren's site). The mission thread is here, and you can download the other contest missions here.

Thank you for providing but Lost Among the Forsaken by DrK, most walls and sections of the map early on is in absolute darkness also can see a piece of loot high above early on being unreachable because of the nature of black walls and once I find the entry point to get into Old Quarter everything is just so black, is not playable and navigation possible, unless NewDark 1.27 breaks the mission down too hard, or it wasn't packaged up properly for FMSel which I use to launch it.

Master Builder 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
    Thank you for providing but Lost Among the Forsaken by DrK, most walls and sections of the map early on is in absolute darkness also can see a piece of loot high above early on being unreachable because of the nature of black walls and once I find the entry point to get into Old Quarter everything is just so black, is not playable and navigation possible, unless NewDark 1.27 breaks the mission down too hard, or it wasn't packaged up properly for FMSel which I use to launch it.
    Are you trying to play this mission in T2 maybe? LATF is a T1/G mission. Also, if you haven't already done so, disable enhancement packs. You may not even know they are installed automatically with certain patches that, frankly, wreck FM's for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by pukey brunster View Post
    Are you trying to play this mission in T2 maybe? LATF is a T1/G mission. Also, if you haven't already done so, disable enhancement packs. You may not even know they are installed automatically with certain patches that, frankly, wreck FM's for the most part.
    Oh my bad, completely forgot its for T1/G, yes I tried to play it on T2, been having a tiredsome day my error. Besides I never use any form of enhancements packs ever for just that same reason, when I patched it was done manually so none of such packs cluttering in my game files.

-edit-
    Lost Among the Forsaken by DrK was pretty eerie and went through Lord Alan's Fortress before starting Lord Alan's Factory to follow the story, quite impressive cannot believe how much time must have gone crafting these enormous factory and castle builds in DromEd, I did find it quite eerie too with stories told in course of these Lord Alan set of missions.
    Last edited by Ghostly; 14th Dec 2019 at 22:38. Reason: saving on post

Clearinghouse
    Really nice mission, very atmospheric Last Caress.