TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is your single most irritating pet peeve in a fan mission

what is your single most irritating pet peeve in a fan mission

for me it has to be seeing more then 1 of the same painting in a mission,it bothers me a lot ,and i feel it should be addressed ,it ruins the immersion while playing

there is no reason for it ,as thief has a ton of painting and adding custom ones are done all the time

please do not use more then one of the same painting in a mission and if you make a series of missions not much can be done so i wont complain about that,just be sure not to add more then one of each painting

what is your biggest gripe when playing a fan mission,i am curious to see what bothers you all,and please just 1 gripe per person and make sure its the one that is top of the list.

I have several:

- Barrels you can walk through or crates that you can't put other crates onto (they fall right trough). This seems to be a beginner mistake. I have seen this is many "first-time missions". It's of course not mission critical but like you said can break the immersion.

- Lids of these large brown chests moving wildly up and down when you try to lockpick them! I don't know if this is a technical problem, though, but I'd rather have a regular chest or the big pirate chest if it has to be a big one.

- The single wooden bar: In a town consisting completely out of stone buildings there is this single wooden bar sticking out of the facade to enable the player to reach a windows via rope arrow. Put some more wood into the town so that it doesn't look completely out of place! Or use wooden roofs like in many other missions - but then on several roofs, even if there are now windows or ways to get into.

There is more but these are the ones that annoy me the most, I guess.
    And, yes, they are only pet peeves - they don't ruin a mission for me.

When the author do not add a simple compass

i agree with boxes you can walk through,but the beams has a real purpose use to be a pully system to get stuff into a upper loft into a barn/etc,so its a real thing

AIs walking thru doors ... the FM author can install all doors in an angle that they open in a direction where this kind of "walkthru" is unlikely.
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

Just getting stuck annoys me, there are hundreds of other fan missions waiting in line for me so why should I waste my time running back and forth, so I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    i agree with boxes you can walk through,but the beams has a real purpose use to be a pully system to get stuff into a upper loft into a barn/etc,so its a real thing
    True but then you have a door/opening *under* it - and the building in question is likely in the neighbourhood of similar buildings (storehouses).

Here's another, easily avoidable problem:

- When not supplying a map (for gameplay reasons or others) at least put up a blank page - so that the player can place notes on it.

Doors that close automatically.

Long lockpicking times.

Trying to blackjack AI coming through a doorway and hitting metal or wood.

AIs falling backwards and floating a few inches above the floor.
    Last edited by bassoferrol; 21st Mar 2019 at 13:50.

ZylonBane
    Dewdrop. F*%# dewdrop.
    Last edited by Yandros; 21st Mar 2019 at 12:57.

I don't like when FM author makes crates and loot unfrobbable. Just because they will look good as decoration.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Dewdrop. F*%# dewdrop.
    Also the intruder painting, what a boring painting, very ugly
    Last edited by Yandros; 22nd Mar 2019 at 11:56.

Quote Originally Posted by shadows View Post
    Long lockpicking times.
    Yes! Especially long lockpicking times in locations where *nobody* ever comes around (often in attics).

AIs getting stuck during a patrol.

Very long readables (anything past 8 pages).

Hard almost unreachable loot goals to the point where I have to use a walkthrough to find some of it.

Agree with many of the above:

Long lockpick times when not on an AI patrol route.
    Loot hidden in unlikely places, for example a single coin in a far-flung corner of the map up on a roof.
    Getting stuck among objects.
    Light emanating from no discernible source.
    Tricky jumps\climbs that leave the player (well me anyway) thinking 'am I supposed to be going this way or is this impossible?'
    Doors that leave you pinned in a room or corridor when open.

However, as someone who's never produced anything in Dromed, I do appreciate the many, many hours of hard work that have gone in to all those
    missions that have kept us entertained over the years. Long may it continue!

Quote Originally Posted by frobbin hood View Post
    Light emanating from no discernible source.
    Very annoying, but this was a problem in the OM's as well. The Lost City is full of these 'ghost lights'. They could have at least added light mushrooms

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Beltzer View Post
    When the author do not add a simple compass
    This thing. It is not only important in navigation, it is the object I have on screen by default. There is no reason not to include a compass. None.

Green bottles and blue vases and the small eyeglasses disguised as loot.

Not being able to play Thief FMs for more than a half hour without getting severly bloodshot eyes is kinda a pet peeve for me.

Yes, long lock picking times on a chest and THEN, you find nothing in the chest!

And another thing. Exterior doors that open out into your face. All entry doors should always open to the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by zippyzappy View Post
    And another thing. Exterior doors that open out into your face. All entry doors should always open to the inside.
    In Germany we say that at least pub doors do always open to the outside, so that drunk people can easily get out.

And I don't like FMs which are too bright. The game is called Dark Project ...
    Last edited by zappenduster; 24th Mar 2019 at 12:02.
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

Everything memorable about the original games that has since been driven into the ground by the community:
    • Benny and his "wacky" exploits
    • Dewdrop
    • Taffer and taffin' as expletives
    • Intruder painting
    • Lord Bafford
    • Schmidt and his insane ramblings
    • etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast