TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: VTM BLOODLINES 2 OMG OMG OMG

So, now the publishers have fired the entire development studio.

Sounds pretty disgusting that they can just take the game away from the people who've made it, but I guess that's the publisher-developer AAA business model.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 delayed again as it switches developers - RPS

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Sounds pretty disgusting that they can just take the game away from the people who've made it, but I guess that's the publisher-developer AAA business model.
    I honestly doubt they would do so if the original team was well functioning and delivered milestones within a reasonable timeframe compared to the development roadmap. Enough other third party developers work with Paradox without these kind of things happening to make it a fair assumption that Hardsuit was at fault here.

Usually if development is going that badly, it just gets canceled.

It's late in the dev cycle, they probably have enough to finish it soon, & they've sunk a lot into it to just torch it now. It's a game people have strong opinions about, so I'm not surprised if it found itself in dev hell.

Probably better to scrap it and cut their losses at this point.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Naah, just release it as a half-baked mess. Then it'll be a true sequel!

That's probably a given at this point. It's got to be further from completion than we thought if they've already ruled out a 2021 release. I wonder why they're not naming the new studio.

Ask A Game Dev has an interesting take on this. They argue that the project is canceled in all but name. They think the loss of institutional knowledge means that any new stab at making the game would be functionally a new game and new project altogether. And that's why there's not a new studio announced; if the project is being worked on at all, it's all the way back at pre-production.

That makes more sense of how it could still save them money to just cut it now. Aside from effectively starting over, I also have a feeling that projects that go through dev hell also don't sell well. All that said, it sucks that the games that I've been most hyped about Paradox releasing were ones they cut (East vs. West & now this) or they just never get around to making (Vicky 3).

I really do want to find out some day what was so awful about it, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    I really do want to find out some day what was so awful about it, lol.
    It was probably fundamentally flawed in some way. My guess is that the individual parts did not come together well. Maybe it was just boring. Maybe we will see Blacklight: Retribution get revived now that Hardsuit Labs has a lot of free time on their hands.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456