TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Chakat sex pillow
    With a TV and at a set distance from it when playing, you'll quite literally see diminishing returns at higher resolutions anyhow. 1440p at max settings should be easily achievable and give you the best performance/resolution ratio for a 1060, provided you're willing to settle for a ~55 FPS average.

Now you can focus on the game's combat smacking you around instead. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Sulphur; 13th Jul 2020 at 08:28.

Depending on the game and on your preferences, of course. I'd personally much rather play at a higher framerate at 1080p, especially with a game like Sekiro.

I played with different resolutions and 1080 is definitely the best choice. Rock solid 60 FPS and honestly doesn't look dramatically different from 4k (presumably because it's being upscaled by the TV).

Anyway, this game is really fucking hard. Three Dark Souls did not prepare me for it although it does kind of remind me of the first time I played a From game, being scared of everything, going as slowly as possible, and frequently running away.

For me, the hardest was trying to not fall back into Dark Souls habits, such as stamina management. You need to be much more aggressive in Sekiro to keep up momentum and get into its unique rhythm and flow of the combat. Watch for when enemies start to deflect (bigger sparks, more clang) and you'll know when you have to switch back to defending (preferably deflecting) yourself. The combat might feel weird and even kind of punishing at the start, especially compared to the Souls games, but it's actually pretty neat once everything starts to click.

I'm thinking of giving it another try myself some time, except with a mod to fix odd translation choices, since the localisation doesn't seem to be all that great. I actually already thought a few things were translated kind of funny/off-kilter (that scene with the butterfly lady, for example, was plain wrong), but I figured most of it was just the normal alterations you get from dubbing to better match the voice acting and audience biases. The game seems to be filled to the brim with all kinds of references to mythology and religion and history and whatnot, so I wouldn't want to miss anything.

Yeah, the combat doesn't feel unfair; I'm just not accustomed to it. When I practice with the undead guy, I do okay, but actual enemies have the trademark From Software random-length-pause-before-attacking, that means you just have to learn the timing through trial and error. But it already seems pretty deep.

I am a little annoyed, however, that a game with such a steep learning curve has already started punishing my death count with this dragon rot thing. I know it's eventually treatable, but it still feels like a bit of an insult added to injury.

Yeah, but it is actually just an insult and not much more. Unlike the penalty in DS2 where it actually adds injury to injury, it doesn't affect gameplay in any significant way whatsoever.

Chakat sex pillow
    If someone's afflicted with Dragonrot, you won't be able to complete their quest until you heal them (understandably). Not many of the quests give you big rewards, but at least one (Tengu's) shouldn't be skipped. Though Tengu apparently can't catch Dragonrot, so it's not a real problem.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    actual enemies have the trademark From Software random-length-pause-before-attacking, that means you just have to learn the timing through trial and error.
    Standard tactic is to go in blocking with a new enemy to learn the moveset before you try attacking.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234