TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112

Thread: T2Fix: An Unofficial Comprehensive Patch for Thief 2

Why are subtitles enabled by default, and how do I disable them?

Subtitles should only be enabled in the event that they are selected on the components page. To disable subtitles, you can either run T2Fix again, ensuring "Thief 2 English Subtitles" is not selected, or you can edit USER.CFG, located in your Thief 2 directory, and remove or otherwise displace the line "enable_subtitles".

Zombified
    guy over at steam forums says T2Fix with overhauled resources makes the final T2 mission uncompletable;

I constructed the stage 1 piece already, but when I go to the rolling machine to make the stage 2 piece, nothing happens when I press the button.
    can someone double check quickly? I currently have no time for T2.

Multiple tests reveal no such issues in the final mission, with or without the fixed missions and resources, though I do appreciate the notice. It is difficult to make a recommendation with the limited information this individual has provided, but this is most likely a result of using old saves or perhaps some other external factor.

Zombified
    that indeed is the most likely explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    guy over at steam forums says T2Fix with overhauled resources makes the final T2 mission uncompletable;

can someone double check quickly? I currently have no time for T2.
    I recently played T2 (French version) installed through T2Fix with EP2+CarryBod mod+interactive candles+t2skies+t2 water+Complete mission & resource fix(AM16's thief2 fixed) and the T2 sounds effects EP.

I was able to end the game. No issue.

What's up, Jax64?

I am a Linux user (Archlinux), and a true fan of the Thief franchise.
    As these games were developed for Windows, playing them on Linux was always at least complex, though I've already tested the game with your T2Fix patch on my operating system and it works perfectly! (thank you very much!).
    I am building packages for the Linux distribution I use, so anyone who wishes can install Thief games in their linux-boxes in a clean way.

The packages I build features standalone installations and are wine-transparent from end user's point of view. It requires a lot of work.
    After assembling them correctly, the games are installed with a single command and do not need any extra configuration (no wizards, no file replacing, no wine mess-around, no monekey busines)
    Easier than on windows!

I have successfully assembled the Thief Deadly Shadows + Sneaky Upgrade installation package.
    I have built packages for the last 2 versions of snobel's Sneaky Upgrade and they work very well.
    https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthre...=1#post2416557
    You can verify the collaboration with snobel since I started working on this package in the thread.

I tried to start with T2 + T2Fix. The goal is to assemble a T2 + T2Fx + HDMOD package for Archlinux.
    I have had problems to start with T2Fix: I need to extract the T2Fix files in an ordered and neat way. I could not do it. In order to automate this the way I need, it needs to be done WITHOUT WINE. I need to extract T2Fix files with linux native tools.
    I have tried with 7z, innoextract, unshield and other tools. It is impossible.

There are 3 solutions with which I could finish the job. For any of these solutions I would need your help:
    1- I could assemble the entire T2Fix package from scratch from the base packages one by one (1.18 patch, NewDark, enhaced SFX, etc.). This is to do all the job you did over again. For that I would ask you for detailed instructions on how to assemble the package from every brick as you did it on windows and I would do it again in a linux-clean-way. I can imagine that's A LOT of work for you and for me.
    2- You could give me a full version of T2Fix in a .zip format with some instructions on how to choose the files on the package according to the associated features (enable/disable enhaced SFX, install.cfg config lines etc). This way I'll be able to take care of all the issues regarding to the configuration process in the operating system without all the work of the first solution.
    3- You could give me a full version of T2Fix made with innosetup or installsheid... maybe you could even think about changing install framework. This is the most desirable way of doing things since these installation frameworks have supported native utilities on linux alowing extraction and viewing installation plan as it was desingned (conditional copying, configuration files editing, etc).
    Any of these solutions allow repackaging and automating the installation in GNU/Linux.

If you could help me, I would be very grateful.
    Maybe I'll need a bit more of your help on this subject before the linux package is done, but I hope this is all I need.
    I'll be glad to share this package with you and with all the ttlg community when it is done, as I do with the snobel package. I will update the package for each new version of T2Fix too.
    Sorry for my bad english.

Thank you again for your great work!
    Last edited by aerosq; 13th Oct 2019 at 18:28.

Zombified
    Quote Originally Posted by aerosq View Post
    + HDMOD
    would go for EP2 if you really, really must add a hires package of some sort - remember, hdmod will invalidate all overhauled resources.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    would go for EP2 if you really, really must add a hires package of some sort - remember, hdmod will invalidate all overhauled resources.
    I Know that...
    Building an EP2 package version will be a piece of cake since it's just a drop-in file case after T2Fix. You'll have it!.
    Last edited by aerosq; 14th Oct 2019 at 11:08.

Quote Originally Posted by aerosq View Post
    I have had problems to start with T2Fix: I need to extract the T2Fix files in an ordered and neat way. I could not do it. In order to automate this the way I need, it needs to be done WITHOUT WINE. I need to extract T2Fix files with linux native tools.
    I have tried with 7z, innoextract, unshield and other tools. It is impossible.

There are 3 solutions with which I could finish the job. For any of these solutions I would need your help:
    1- I could assemble the entire T2Fix package from scratch from the base packages one by one (1.18 patch, NewDark, enhaced SFX, etc.). This is to do all the job you did over again. For that I would ask you for detailed instructions on how to assemble the package from every brick as you did it on windows and I would do it again in a linux-clean-way. I can imagine that's A LOT of work for you and for me.
    2- You could give me a full version of T2Fix in a .zip format with some instructions on how to choose the files on the package according to the associated features (enable/disable enhaced SFX, install.cfg config lines etc). This way I'll be able to take care of all the issues regarding to the configuration process in the operating system without all the work of the first solution.
    3- You could give me a full version of T2Fix made with innosetup or installsheid... maybe you could even think about changing install framework. This is the most desirable way of doing things since these installation frameworks have supported native utilities on linux alowing extraction and viewing installation plan as it was desingned (conditional copying, configuration files editing, etc).
    Any of these solutions allow repackaging and automating the installation in GNU/Linux.
    T2Fix is actually built with Inno Setup, though the modifications I have made to the compiler in order to facilitate some of T2Fix's features seem to have made it incompatible with existing tools. Rebuilding the packages included in T2Fix is not necessary. I would be happy to include all of T2Fix's data with instructions detailing the different component configurations in a compressed archive should your purposes require it, though this would need to be done with each subsequent release as well. Though, if you would prefer it, I could probably build binaries that are capable of retrieving T2Fix's data and send them your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax64 View Post
    T2Fix is actually built with Inno Setup, though the modifications I have made to the compiler in order to facilitate some of T2Fix's features seem to have made it incompatible with existing tools.
    Maybe this is the case, look:

Rebuilding the packages included in T2Fix is not necessary. I would be happy to include all of T2Fix's data with instructions detailing the different component configurations in a compressed archive should your purposes require it.
    Thank you very much!.
    A standard Zip file + instructions would be perfect for now!

though this would need to be done with each subsequent release as well. Though, if you would prefer it, I could probably build binaries that are capable of retrieving T2Fix's data and send them your way.
    Yes, it'll be necessary to rebuild the zip file for each version (with a delta on the instrucciones files where needed).
    But I really want to set you free from this task... maybe there's a way of building a binary innosetup extractable exe by innoextract program: this will free you from the task of doing a separate file for linux portability. It would be perfect because innoextract decompreses files in different directories according the design of the setup logic. Maybe building the .exe file this way, I could use the same .exe of your public releases, just like the snobel's SneakyUpgrade case.

Sorry my english again
    Last edited by aerosq; 14th Oct 2019 at 20:46.

Archlinux Thief 2 install script

This is the script for building the Archlinux package for Thief 2: The Metal Age (2CD version) + T2Fix + EP2 via wine.
    This works with the 2CD Version of the game (the one I have).

Features:

• Dedicated wine prefix (transparent from end-user view)
    • User independent savegame and configuration files
    • Detached variable-config files from static-data files (Linux way)
    • Documentation inside

Instructions

• Put PKGBUILD (links) and the 2 ISO images (renamed to thief-2-cd1.iso and thief-2-cd2.iso) in a directory of your choice
      PKGBUILD
    • cd into the choosen directory and run
      Code:
      $ makepkg -si
    • Done

Just like any other installation from a PKGBUILD

If you run the game for the first time (or after a package upgrade) it'll take about 1~2 minutes to start the game due to the wine prefix creation. Be patient.
    Special Thanks to Jax64 for his priceless help

Feedback is wellcome!

What exactly does 'Fixed Resources' entail? It's not specified (at least in the installer) how much are visual 'fixes' and how much are practical things like bugfixes.

I assume it includes mission fixes and I want those , but even if that's the only box I check it seems to come with 'updated' weapon models and stuff I don't care for (without having checked over the rest of the game for changes).

Is it possible to separate the the visual and practical options a little more finely in the installer?

The "Mission and Resource Fix" component does certainly include the fixed missions and nearly all of the "fixed resources" are entirely practical in the sense that they are intended only to rectify issues present in the original resources. As far as I am aware, the only resources included that do more than fix preexisting issues are a few meshes, notably weapon models as you say. For example, the included blackjack model is more rounded and somewhat smaller than the original asset. Do note that this component primarily consists of data from AM16's Thief2 Fixed, from which these particular models were originally retrieved.

This having been said, I am not averse to making changes should they be desired by the community. You are not the first to bring this to my attention and I can see that these particular meshes are not "fixed" original assets in the strictest sense. I can certainly look into ensuring that the Mission and Resource Fix only includes such practical fixes that its name implies.

Neither T2Fix nor TFix have been updated for nearly half a year.
    Why?

Zombified
    there needs to be a good reason, ex. enough mission bugs stacking up, or a new NewDark release.

Does anyone else get Eavesdropping objectives in German? I can't think of anything but T2Fix that could've caused this.

The objectives still show in English for me, it's not caused by T2Fix. Maybe it's something in one of your game files that operates the language of your choosing. If it's set to German, then you need to change it to English.

No, T2Fix alone most likely did not cause this issue. Did this only occur in Eavesdropping?

T2Fix will only set the game language if darkinst.cfg is absent during the installation process, in which case the resources are queried to determine the correct localization and this file is populated appropriately. The language is not set if darkinst.cfg already specifies the language. You can check what language paths are enabled by locating the "language" field.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112