TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast

Thread: T2Fix: An Unofficial Comprehensive Patch for Thief 2

Those models include corpses and flinders for several banner types that curiously had none originally, making them more consistent with the others. For example, the AstroChart1 type had neither of these, resulting in it simply disappearing when cut down.

I guess those banners in common with Thief1 and thus part of the script dark.gam.dml together with the bin objects can be carried over to Thief1?

I can't install this if I have the gog version?

Zombified
    you can use T2Fix on any version of T2, that's kind of the point of a patcher - no matter what you have, you will end up with a complete, up to date build.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 13th Jan 2020 at 14:23.

Nice! Works great. Been playing the first 4 missions, messing around in one of my favorite games of all time!!!

I even discovered a bug with a locked door in Shipping & Receiving that has apparently been in the game since its release in 2000! Steam user Xanfrein said it was an easy fix, but as of yet hasn't commented on what the issue was. I just can't believe no one in 20 years has tried using the wrong key on that door. Somebody must have noticed it at some point. I can't be the only person going around using the wrong keys on things. I did it because I thought I was using Building B's key, but it was Building A's key instead, and it "permanently" locked the door. Sort of like a Master Key, and then Key B no longer worked.

I tried looking at it in Dromed for a few minutes, but I have forgotten 99% of what I knew about Dromed. The doors and lockboxes in that area look set up the same. Still, I'd be curious to know what the issue was.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/21174...3610507484733/

I appreciate the feedback. As has been said on the linked thread since your post here, the key to understanding why this happens with that particular door is the presence of the "KeyDst" property, which is absent on all other doors of this kind. You can verify this in DromEd if you wish. Because of this, a key with a LockID of zero is able to interact with the door, causing the lockbox and the door itself to change lock states independently of each other and results in the behavior you describe. This issue has likely gone unnoticed for so long due to the fact that it is fairly minor and only affects one of the many exterior doors in this mission. Since only the lockbox is supposed to be able to unlock this door, this particular property can simply be removed from the door itself. This is indeed a very easy fix and it will be included in the next release of T2Fix.

Thank you for the report and do enjoy your playthrough!

And is a whole new update required for that fix?
    I wouldn´t mind getting the only necessary files instead of a new install.

Sure, bassoferrol.. Here it is.. Just click Xanfrein's link here...https://steamcommunity.com/app/21174...3610507484733/

Yes, it only requires a single additional line in the DML for mission 2. I will link it here as well in the event that anyone else would rather not wait until the next release for this small fix.

Zombified
    the latest Dromed.cfg has a typo in one line, ;gui_font editr\tahoma24

also, what files are used for the install validity check? got one older that refuses to be accepted as valid, despite everything looking ok at first glance.

@voodoo47: Guess I should have known to post that dromed.cfg typo issue here too, and not just Steam. Thanks. (Just bear with me as I -try- to get back up to speed.)

While we're on the subject of fixes, not sure if this is something that you're looking to "fix" or not, but in Eavesdropping, it's really easy to climb over the wall back by the gravestones behind the "metal building" where you do the eavesdropping. Mantle onto a gravestone, then a statue, then onto the back wall there. I can get out of "bounds" there and never be able to get back over. But, I can run around outside the wall amongst those backdrop buildings and little clocktower. I don't remember it being so easy in the unpatched version, but haven't tested the originals.
    Last edited by Hit Deity; 1st Feb 2020 at 13:02.

That behavior in Eavesdropping appears to be a result of NewDark's newmantle, which you can read about in the NewDark documentation. It is probably not possible to escape in such a manner under the original executables.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    the latest Dromed.cfg has a typo in one line, ;gui_font editr\tahoma24
    Thanks. That font and two others are included with the latest DromEd Basic Toolkit. This will only affect users opting to use that particular font, but it has been corrected.

also, what files are used for the install validity check? got one older that refuses to be accepted as valid, despite everything looking ok at first glance.
    The installer currently checks for Thief2.exe, gen.osm, dark.gam, the mission files, the resource CRFs, and the movies. I suppose this is rather strict and could stand to be more relaxed. Does the install you are using have all of these?

Zombified
    it's an install made with a previous version of T2Fix, so it should. aha - looks like I've removed dark.gam at some point. no problem then, I suppose - whoever digs around their install in such a way, has to be ready for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Hit Deity View Post
    in Eavesdropping, it's really easy to climb over the wall back by the gravestones behind the "metal building" where you do the eavesdropping
    generally, it's futile to try stopping exploiters, but if it's something that can be done really easily, and is really harmful, then objects can be made non-mantleable, or a blocking object can be stuck there to prevent issues. I've done it once in the TFix set of maps.

Two questions:
    1. When doing co-op on Escape! the game crashes for the host (me) after about a minute so it's unplayable. Is there a fix for this besides skipping the mission?

2. Any plans on co-op for Gold?

Pretty surprised by how well the co-op works for this. It's quite impressive work.

Almost every level on both Gold and 2 is really easy to get out of so it's pointless trying to fix it in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmTheWalrus View Post
    Two questions:
    1. When doing co-op on Escape! the game crashes for the host (me) after about a minute so it's unplayable. Is there a fix for this besides skipping the mission?

Pretty surprised by how well the co-op works for this. It's quite impressive work.
    Co-op? What co-op? Where?

Almost every level on both Gold and 2 is really easy to get out of so it's pointless trying to fix it in my opinion.
    I don't remember it being that easy, so I'm assuming it's related to newmantle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hit Deity View Post
    Co-op? What co-op? Where?

I don't remember it being that easy, so I'm assuming it's related to newmantle.
    T2Fix now includes optional multiplayer.

This isn't a question to ask the T2Fix author, since it's not them who implemented the multiplayer. It's the part of the latest NewDark, thus Le Corbeau is the person to ask, if anything. If you read the official readme for the MP component, you'll see that it states that it shouldn't be expected for the MP to work with Thief 1/Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Meowdori View Post
    This isn't a question to ask the T2Fix author, since it's not them who implemented the multiplayer. It's the part of the latest NewDark, thus Le Corbeau is the person to ask, if anything. If you read the official readme for the MP component, you'll see that it states that it shouldn't be expected for the MP to work with Thief 1/Gold.
    I know, but that doesn't mean it can't be made to work in the future.

Actually one person in Thief Speedrunning Discord server mentioned that they tried it with Thief 1 and it worked. It's only bound to break wherenever there's mission scripting that doesn't take the fact there are >1 players into account, allowing for unintended behaviour. Can't speak from my own experiences, as i haven't tried it myself (yet?).

Why is this section repeated in the DromEd.cfg file? Did I do that, or is it by default in the distributed version? (I have tweaked so many things, I might have done it, but don't think so..)
    Code:
    gfh_menu1_name_0 undo
    gfh_menu1_name_1 redo
    gfh_menu1_cmd_0 undo
    gfh_menu1_cmd_1 redo

gfh_menu1_name_0 Undo
    gfh_menu1_name_1 Redo
    gfh_menu1_cmd_0 undo
    gfh_menu1_cmd_1 redo

Those lines are included in the default configuration. It does appear to be somewhat redundant, but it should not cause any harm. Those variables are repeated in the same manner even in the original, unmodified releases of DromEd.

Quote Originally Posted by Meowdori View Post
    Actually one person in Thief Speedrunning Discord server mentioned that they tried it with Thief 1 and it worked. It's only bound to break wherenever there's mission scripting that doesn't take the fact there are >1 players into account, allowing for unintended behaviour. Can't speak from my own experiences, as i haven't tried it myself (yet?).
    Yes, the multiplayer executable itself should run with the original Thief, but it will be of limited use considering the provided multiplayer-compatible script modules will only function in Thief 2. This having been said, it is possible that true support for Thief 1 will be implemented as NewDark's multiplayer is further developed.
    Last edited by Jax64; 7th Feb 2020 at 02:20.

Would be nice to check all those turbines that are making noise but that in fact are not turning?

I am trying to return to Thief 2 after a year's absence using a recently-converted installation of Windows 10 Pro. It previously ran in Windows 7 as Thief 1.25. Thief Gold (1.26) works, but Thief 2 (1.25) does not. T2 starts and then stops (crashes?) immediately when using FMSEL to launch Thief2. Also fails when launching Thief2.exe directly. I was hoping that T2Fix might clean it up.

Unfortunately, when I try to install T2Fix_1.27b, downloaded from this link, the Webroot antivirus software detects a Trojan, "Trojan.Ransom.Gen". If true, it sounds ominous. Ransomware?

Any thoughts on this Trojan?

Any way to avoid this problem, such as use the distribution of NewDark? Since my baseline T2 install does not work, I am skeptical. I am thinking I might need a fresh T2 install patched to 1.18 and then manual install NewDark.

Any thoughts on why Thef2 fails but Thief Gold works in the new Windows 10 installation? Again, they both worked under Windows 7.

Provided you downloaded from either the Google Drive link here or from the ModDB page, that is most certainly nothing more than false positive. Do be assured that T2Fix is safe to use. I would like more information on this case if you are able to provide it, however, as I would like to prevent these misleading warnings when possible. Some antivirus algorithms are notorious for falsely flagging this type of setup executable, especially after new releases.

Pertaining to your issue, was this Thief 2 install migrated from your previous operating system? If so, it may be best to simply reinstall the game and apply T2Fix. NewDark 1.25 is rather old at this point and it is generally not recommended to manually install the NewDark archive.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast