TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 271213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: T2Fix: An Unofficial Comprehensive Patch for Thief 2

Today I learned that there is a way to activate Olddark while have TFix installed. And I also learned it's not available in T2Fix. Of course I know there is group of people fixing old FMs, so they could be played normally. But I think it would be good idea to give people option to revert back to Olddark. It would be awesome if you would implement that.

Actually, that functionality is already included in T2Fix and is implemented in a similar manner to TFix. The "Legacy Executables" component must be selected to enable it.

Thanks for info.

I decided to make copy of Thief 2 and install T2Fix, but I get this message: "A valid Thief 2 install wasn't detected. Please select a directory in which the game is installed or install the game by checking the box on this page." My Thief 2 is from Thief Anthology. I copied all files into separate folder on desktop, so I will not need to play with DVD in laptop. And it worked perfectly fine with Tafferpatcher. It works perfectly fine with TFix and Thief Gold. But somehow T2Fix doesn't detect my game. I even tried with original folder or tried to use installation folder. Nothing works. I don't know why. Or maybe you expect me to uninstall Tafferpatcher first.

If you received that message, it means that thief2.exe, gen.osm, or dark.gam was not found in the install directory. All of these are essential games files and T2Fix uses them to determine the version installed prior to patching.

I have all these files in my Thief 2 folder. Somehow T2Fix doesn't detect them.

Are they all located in the root directory as opposed to any subfolders? This is just a simple file check, so it should succeed provided they exist in this manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaer View Post
    I even tried with original folder or tried to use installation folder.
    I am unsure of the meaning of what you are saying here. Do you mean that you have also tried using T2Fix's built-in installation functionality or have you otherwise modified the contents of your game files?

I copied all installation files from Thief Anthology DVD to a new folder on desktop. I called that "t2". Then I used setup file to install game. At the beginning I made mistake and installed Thief 2 in Program Files. So I moved it to desktop. Then I installed Tafferpatcher 1.25 normally without any problems. I had some problems with scripts in newer missions, so I put bundle of newest scripts into Thief 2 folder and later even into my folder with installation files (t2). Because I noticed that Thief 2 is somehow connected to folder with my installation files (t2) and thanks to putting newest scripts, FMs scripts started being load correctly.

Edit: I found original Thief Anthology DVD and tried to use it in installation of T2Fix, but T2Fix doesn't detect it either. And because I have already installed Thief 2, setup only propose me uninstallation all files of game. Which I don't want, because I want to have game with Tafferpatcher and game with T2Fix.

Funny. For so long I was rejecting T2Fix, because I felt it's not matured enough. And now that I want to install T2Fix, it rejects me.
    Last edited by Galaer; 15th Jun 2020 at 09:53.

Ah, I see. The T2Fix game installation utility only supports the original first-party CDs, as noted in the first post; however, T2Fix itself should function on any distribution provided the necessary files are present. If the Thief Anthology installer only lets you install the game once, it may still be possible to manually copy the game files themselves from the DVD to your chosen directory in order to have multiple installs, though I am unaware of that particular Thief distribution and how it packages the game files.

Zombified
    I do have it, it's that awful 1.07/1.18 hybrid version (steam has it, just with DDFix on top). still, I see no reason why it shouldn't be T2Fix patchable, if it's only thief2.exe, gen.osm, and dark.gam that need to be present.

very sure the dvd won't be detected by T2Fix, the installer was custom if memory serves. I'd wipe everything out, create a fresh install, and try to patch that with just T2Fix. or are you unable to reinstall because the system thinks the game is still installed?

//try using the files from this package, they are proper, so maybe that will be enough to pass the T2Fix check.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 15th Jun 2020 at 18:32.

Using files from voodoo47 package worked. Though the first time I used this package as a base. Which is really idiotic when you compare size of package with size of game. Interestingly enough exe file was named slightly differently than original exe, so I have both Tafferpatcher version and T2Fix Version to play in one folder. Hope it doesn't mess anything. T2Fix reseted some of my settings and also I noticed that I can't mantle over first gate in Running Interference anymore. So I guess it works.

Also is in lower right corner should be displayed version of Newdark? I don't have it and I remember that Tafferpatcher also didn't display it. I don't know if it doesn't show up because my messed up installation or if it's not implemented. I know TFix make it Thief 1 to display it and it's really helpful.

Also 2 questions:

1. Is T2Fix compatible with Ultimate Difficulty Mod?

2. Is legacy executable installed means I can play old FMs in Olddark or only main game in Olddark?

Zombified
    yeah, you were supposed to drop the files from the small archive into your T2 folder. the exe having a different name is the reason why your install was not accepted as valid, most likely.

that description of what you currently have doesn't sound too healthy (any reason why you can't simply start from a fresh install?), but I think as long as T2Fix has managed to fully munch through your T2 install, you should be good to go (some gunk may be left behind, but that shouldn't matter much).

1. unless its readme specifically says it's compatible and meant to be used with the T2Fix gamesys, consider it incompatible. if forced, the game will probably not break to the point of stopping to work completely, but some things will go bye-bye for sure.
    2. technically, using the old exe to play an old FM is doable, but you will either have to make some old fm loader work (urgh, NOT recommended), or use the oldFM folder per instructions from the txt file inside.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 16th Jun 2020 at 16:44.

There appears to be a problem caused by T2Fix v1.27c when playing "Patriot". See here for details. Apparently, something in the T2FMDML\dbmods folder causes crashes.

Zombified
    //ok, looks like Jax64 has got this.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 20th Jun 2020 at 04:41.

Black textures in Site 7 - Kidnap.

Thank you for the report. You may wish to note the problem on the Thief2 Fixed thread as well, as this issue appears to have been introduced with its most recent release, 1.3b. The Thief2 Fixed thread is linked in the first post here.

Did 1.27c change anything related to S/R? Some of the S/R setups in my recent fan mission break under 1.27c. They work under 1.25, 1.26 and 1.27b but not 1.27c.

If it’s a bug in NewDark or Tfix, I’ll just wait it out (with a note about 1.27c compatibility issues). If it’s an intentional change that affects S/R functionality going forward, I’ll need to revisit the mission and re-work these setups.

Zombified
    posting more details would be a good start - is your FM using the T2Fix gamesys? what exactly is the problem? etc..

The mission uses a custom gamesys, and tbh I’m a little fuzzy on the details. I was curious if there was an intentional change to S/R functionality that would explain the issue.

What I do know is that, with 1.27c, objects with multiple receptrons for the same stimulus don’t work as intended. It seems like only one stimulus (perhaps the highest priority one) has an effect. Players have encountered this issue with 1.27c and confirmed that the issue goes away with 1.27b.

I have not yet had a chance to experiment with different S/R setups myself (6 day old infant at home!), so I can’t pinpoint the precise issue.

Zombified
    the NewDark version is the same, so pretty sure that's not it - try to rename the T2FMDML folder and see whether the issue goes away. maybe do the same with dark.gam.dml in the OSM folder (only if your own gamesys filename is dark.gam, which it really shouldn't be).

I've tried renaming (and even removing) the folder, and not having any luck. Would someone be able to take a peek a this? I've uploaded two save files at the problem spots:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/98zve5koz5...e0000.sav?dl=0
    what should happen: use 'unequipped' spectacles on painting and enter painting- 'unequipped' spectacles should be removed from inventory, replaced with 'equipped' spectacles. (This is what happens on all thief installs I've tried, up through 1.27b.)
    What happens on 1.27c: use 'unequipped' spectacles on painting and enter painting- 'equipped' spectacles are added to inventory, but 'unequipped' spectacles remain in inventory as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cq63ivmtnz...e0002.sav?dl=0
    What should happen: use talismans on talisman receivers to place them. They get removed from inventory and are held by the receivers, where they can be picked up again. Placing them correctly raises a pedestal. (This is what happens on all thief installs I've tried, up through 1.27b.)
    What happens on 1.27c: Used talismans remain in inventory. The game still acts as if they've been placed in that the talismans can raise the pedestal if placed correctly, but they do not appear to be placed.

Any insights on these issues would be much appreciated!

(Mission available here: https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150533)
    Last edited by trefoilknot; 30th Jun 2020 at 17:03.

It looks like the objects noted are not being properly removed from containers when teleported. This appears to be a result of a mistake in converting the fixed scripts from Squirrel nut files to a standard OSM, which was done in the latest release. Does replacing the existing OSM\T2Fix.osm with this file fix the problem?

Yes, that fixes it, thanks! If I want to patch the mission to make it work out-of-the-box for everyone (without them tinkering with their root folder), do I just add OSM/T2fix.osm to the .zip file? Or will that have some negative consequences?

Unfortunately, simply including it as-is in the mission archive will not fix the problem. However, if you would like to to address this locally, you can give the script module a unique name such as "ScrFix.osm" and load it with a DML as demonstrated in this archive, including both the renamed module and the DML with the mission. This will effectively bypass T2Fix's own module and favor the one included with the mission.

This having been said, the responsibility lies with the patcher and will be addressed. I do apologize for the inconvenience and for the issue taking up your time.

Hey everyone.

I first played Thief 2 via the T2Fix, and out of curiosity, played an unmodded version as well. I was wondering if the diamond in Kidnap, outside of site 9, was a T2Fix addition? (the one that is in the same location was the diamond in Thief 1's Lost City) Or perhaps it was a hidden/stuck piece of loot taken out, similarly to the coin stack in Interference?

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 271213141516171819 LastLast